1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS 2016

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by finglasqpr, May 31, 2016.

1. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

I love golf,used to play 4 times a week.Got down to being an 8 handicap,but had to stop playing after injuring my cilla ! Miss playing but still love watching the top guys especially at Augusta or a devilish links course,my favourite is Carnoustie. I'll be glued to it later this week,if I can sneak it in during work !

2. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

There is no shame to it at all Woody. Snooker? ****ing hell I'm going to have to develop a thesis........perhaps it's because it's something you have doubtless played and recognise the sheer skill of people who can pot more than 3 balls consecutively, unless they happen to be sitting over the pockets. A bit like golf, except indoors. Usually.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that's it. I've played a bit of snooker, but nothing more than getting stoned, playing pitch and putt in my early 20's. I'm still useless at snooker, but greatly admire the ability of top players to control the white like they do. Having said I hate golf, I used to get satisfaction hitting the ball as far as possible. I never aimed for the hole, just as much distance as possible. On a camping trip in the mid 90's, I once hit my mate dead centre on the bell end with a full power swing, thing was though, he was 90 degrees away from where I was aiming.

3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I'm sure that's it. I've played a bit of snooker, but nothing more than getting stoned, playing pitch and putt in my early 20's. I'm still useless at snooker, but greatly admire the ability of top players to control the white like they do. Having said I hate golf, I used to get satisfaction hitting the ball as far as possible. I never aimed for the hole, just as much distance as possible. On a camping trip in the mid 90's, I once hit my mate dead centre on the bell end with a full power swing, thing was though, he was 90 degrees away from where I was aiming.[/QUOTE]
    That's more or less why I gave up golf. I was ok (not any good, but tolerable) if I played ladies club golf and essentially just chipped the ball up the fairway ultra safe, but of course that is impossible for a man, so I tried to welly it every time and it could go in any direction. If I really gave it 100% concentration and focus my short game and putting wasn't disastrous (very poor, but not abysmal), but by the time I got anywhere near the green I was usually furious and beyond caring.

Pretty similar with snooker. Except I had a sweet spot between the second and third pints where I thought I played marginally better. I think the same when trying to speak my pathetically limited range of foreign languages. It is an illusion.

4. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

That's more or less why I gave up golf. I was ok (not any good, but tolerable) if I played ladies club golf and essentially just chipped the ball up the fairway ultra safe, but of course that is impossible for a man, so I tried to welly it every time and it could go in any direction. If I really gave it 100% concentration and focus my short game and putting wasn't disastrous (very poor, but not abysmal), but by the time I got anywhere near the green I was usually furious and beyond caring.

Pretty similar with snooker. Except I had a sweet spot between the second and third pints where I thought I played marginally better. I think the same when trying to speak my pathetically limited range of foreign languages. It is an illusion.[/QUOTE]
    I'm sure you linguistic talents are better than you make out. I like learning a new language, probably my best skill. I've learned Bulgarian on site, not fluent, but can communicate in most situations. Slovakian is the current challenge.

Golf = anger/bent clubs
    Snooker = calm/want to get better/a double figure break may be a possibility one day.

I look forward to your reply re middle lane driving. I'll check back in later, but now I have to go measure up for cable tray with my Slovakian mate, Peter. Do piche.

sb_73 likes this.
  5. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

OK Tooting, just let me know where to meet you on the day of the Leeds match, cheers.

6. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Golf is pretty boring to watch, as are all the other ones you list, unless you know something about them. I stopped playing golf about five years ago when I realised I was complete crap, unlikely to get any better unless I played every day, and that essentially it just made me angry. The plus side was the vanishingly rare times I hit it just right. Seeing professional golfers hit it just right almost every time, under huge pressure in big tournaments, is a thing of wonder to me. But I still only watch on the telly a couple of times a year. The reason football is the most popular game is that the skills and tactics involved are so simple, transparent and obvious anyone can understand it. Not that there is anything wrong with that.[/QUOTE]
    I know what you mean from trying to explain cricket to Norwegian's. Silly mid off, square leg, gully? Gets a lot of laughs , but play with these for 5 days? Haaa!!! Snooker and golf are easily understandable. Cricket apparently not.