1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS 2016

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by finglasqpr, May 31, 2016.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Not quite as bad as when Greece won, but close.

Now, how long until the Olympics? Is there really only the British Open to occupy us before then?

2. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cricket starts against Pakistan this week......

3. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

Don't knock The Open pal,i'll be putting my tips up here in the next couple of days !

4. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Taking selfies prior to getting the trophy.....

5. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Fair play to Portugal.

6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

The Open and the Masters are the only golf tournaments I take any interest in, wasn't knocking it. I'll miss BBC coverage though. Finding it hard to get excited by the Olympics sadly.

7. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

Fair enough mate,Olympics doesn't start until August 5th we play Leeds 2 days later !

8. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I regret the fact that the BBC has lost the rights to the Open, but, sad to say, I think Sky covers golf better.

9. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

As much as I love sport, golf and the olympics leave me cold, hurry up the start of the football season

10. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Portugal deservedly won that tournament. Best team in it.

11. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Hard luck Grinning and well done Tooting for winning the sweepstake. Sorry the prize isn't anything more substantial than a pint in a boozer near Loftus Road of your choice. Name your pub and I will meet you there. Alternatively, I can bring you some cans of Dublin Guinness or Murphy's perhaps or a drop of Jameson???? Let me know. Cheers.

hammersmith junior and QPR999 like this.
  12. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

I wonder how much it cost in licence payer monies to setup Lineker, Shearer, Ferdinand et al in that bubble in front of the Eiffel Tower for the duration of the tournament? As usual, somewhat daft to be anchoring matches from Paris when they've taken place all over Gaul. They'd have done just as well renting out a garage in Blackpool.

Shawswood likes this.
  13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wonder if your opinions on football are as deliberately contrary as mine are on just about everything else, or whether you are equipped with some kind of special vision which means you see things on a football pitch none of the rest of us can.
    I'll miss the coverage because it's become a key feature of my holiday, the place we are staying at has BBC and a host of other British TV stations available but not Sky. We seem to have got in the habit of being here the same week every year, which starts with the final of a major international football competition and concludes with the Open, which I watch when everyone else is having a siesta. I can watch in the bar, but that will involve far too much day time drinking. I'm sure I will be able to find it on a Spanish or German station in the house.

The BBC gave up the rights to the Open a year early to save money.

14. QPR Oslo

? They won it, were unbeaten. Great players all over the park, very solid defense, best Keeper, most varied and unpredictable play, and when they looked beat as in the final they hung in and won it. Not sure that view is unusual when they have the trophy!

I enjoyed watching them too mostly, while I gather they weren't everyone's favourite. But in the bar where we watched the final yesterday in Greece, most seemed to be behind them except a few French naturally and they had gone before the end!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  15. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Yes, a truly remarkable post by Oslo, Stan.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  16. QPR Oslo

[QUOTE="sb_73, post: 9452128, member: ]
    I'll miss the coverage because it's become a key feature of my holiday, the place we are staying at has BBC and a host of other British TV stations available but not Sky. We seem to have got in the habit of being here the same week every year, which starts with the final of a major international football competition and concludes with the Open, which I watch when everyone else is having a siesta. I can watch in the bar, but that will involve far too much day time drinking. I'm sure I will be able to find it on a Spanish or German station in the house.

The BBC gave up the rights to the Open a year early to save money.[/QUOTE]

To give you something more contraversial Stan, golf must be the most boring sport to watch ever dreamed up, even edging out motor racing, show jumping, baseball, basketball and watching paint dry. Try watching the seagulls (and your ice cream) on your holiday, they rarely miss!

17. TootingExcess

TootingExcess Well-Known Member

A pint in W12 is more than generous finglas - especially as I wanted France to win. Although I do like a drop of Jameson's I have to say.

finglasqpr likes this.
  18. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

To give you something more contraversial Stan, golf must be the most boring sport to watch ever dreamed up, even edging out motor racing, show jumping, baseball, basketball and watching paint dry. Try watching the seagulls (and your ice cream) on your holiday, they rarely miss![/QUOTE]
    Golf is pretty boring to watch, as are all the other ones you list, unless you know something about them. I stopped playing golf about five years ago when I realised I was complete crap, unlikely to get any better unless I played every day, and that essentially it just made me angry. The plus side was the vanishingly rare times I hit it just right. Seeing professional golfers hit it just right almost every time, under huge pressure in big tournaments, is a thing of wonder to me. But I still only watch on the telly a couple of times a year. The reason football is the most popular game is that the skills and tactics involved are so simple, transparent and obvious anyone can understand it. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

19. Woodyhoopleson

Woodyhoopleson Well-Known Member

Golf is pretty boring to watch, as are all the other ones you list, unless you know something about them. I stopped playing golf about five years ago when I realised I was complete crap, unlikely to get any better unless I played every day, and that essentially it just made me angry. The plus side was the vanishingly rare times I hit it just right. Seeing professional golfers hit it just right almost every time, under huge pressure in big tournaments, is a thing of wonder to me. But I still only watch on the telly a couple of times a year. The reason football is the most popular game is that the skills and tactics involved are so simple, transparent and obvious anyone can understand it. Not that there is anything wrong with that.[/QUOTE]
    That perfectly explains why I love football and hate golf, I'm unashamed to say. Where does snooker fit into this? I love watching snooker.

20. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

That perfectly explains why I love football and hate golf, I'm unashamed to say. Where does snooker fit into this? I love watching snooker.[/QUOTE]
    There is no shame to it at all Woody. Snooker? ****ing hell I'm going to have to develop a thesis........perhaps it's because it's something you have doubtless played and recognise the sheer skill of people who can pot more than 3 balls consecutively, unless they happen to be sitting over the pockets. A bit like golf, except indoors. Usually.