1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Europa League Special: Inter Milan vs Southampton 20/10/16 KO 6pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintsfcfan, Oct 16, 2016.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Agreed. To put my view into perspective. I'm entirely aware of the near demise of the club in 2009. I'm also aware that the club existed before that time and had some pretty high moments in its history. Unfortunately, at those times, these high moments couldn't be added to for various reasons, but chief amongst them was a view that Southampton FC was a small club that punched above its weight, and that there was obviously a limit to that ambition.

Well these days we can leave that view to the media pundits when they trot out their... no disrespect...precursor to doing just that. What we don't need is fans thinking in a similar way. Those days have gone and they left in July 2009. And that's the real reason why we can look back with pride to that year, because that was a springboard. By all means, enjoy talk of times and matches in League One and the Championship - I like nothing better myself, but let's not get confused over where the club is going. It is trying to get to the Champions League and becoming a regular performer there. And there's absolutely no reason why the club isn't able to do it. The club has the leaders and the vision. And most certainly it has the strategy. So let's not look back when it's time to look forward.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  2. TheSecondStain

As Jaidi said, from a corner.? I'd love to see the evidence of that.

3. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

I would guess the official attendance at somewhere around 20k. Including 7k saints fans.

4. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Anyone knocking up the City match day thread?!

5. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

At airport now too. Safe flight. We march on

6. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

The game's up on footballorgin.

Watched JayRod's "goal" and the ref blew as the ball was in the air between the 18 yard and 6 yard box, long before Jay headed it. I think it might have been a bit of pushing between McQueen and someone. Something and nothing, way off the flight of the ball. It wasn't anything Jayrod did and no-one was within five yards of being offside.

Ah well.

Vin

7. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

Amazing trip! Spent some time by the lakes and spent last night in the same hotel as the players. Got some cheeky goss to spill too :)

8. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

I don't want to burble on about this for ever but In an attempt to reply to the key elements of a sub edit of your post ...

It is our history, we should be proud, it's ok to look back and remember as well as looking forward and that shouldn't in any way limit our ambition it should strengthen it. I don't get the conflict, we have a history and a future and remembering where we came from makes us STRONGER not weaker. I'm glad to not be an eternally entitled big club what we do we do our own way ... The Southampton way

9. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Openly on here?

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Do tell....I can keep a secret.

11. TheSecondStain

Oh for goodness sake, you can't say that and just leave it. :)

12. TheSecondStain

They made a heck of a noise too. As did the core "Ultra" Inter fans when they got going - which was only once they'd scored.

13. Libby

Libby 9-0

They sang a fair bit beforehand too though there wasn't many of them. As i've said a couple of times already the acoustics there are top notch.

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

Finally just leaving Munich to go home.

Flew over alps earlier without hardly a cloud.

Stunning, absolutely stunning.

15. rednright

rednright Well-Known Member

I'm sitting at Malpensa as I muse over the night before. Our football is good, the movement excellent and the team spirit as strong as ever. Yes we need either another player/confidence/luck but every where else on the field we are ripping it up. Still we lost so a BIG lesson....but I think Puel is now imposing his tactics well and listens when a change is required. I like him and no one will fancy playing us this season. We will give city a run for their money that's for sure! #wemarchon

16. thereisonlyoneno7

On coach home. Fran stand down. Another 606er making it back safe [emoji6]

17. TheSecondStain

Well I only really noticed them after they'd scored. Up until then I'd been transfixed by Saints out-playing Inter and the Saints fan contingent singing their heads off.

As to the excellent acoustics, it would be typical for an Italian stadium, I'd imagine. ;)

Libby and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  18. thereisonlyoneno7

Can I say an Amazing trip. Great fans, great game (until they scored) and being ½ Italian, the food was bellisimo!! Next away trip next year at the nou camp as EL holders[emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]. We March On.

19. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I have to say, other than the result, I thoroughly enjoyed that performance.
    As a team/squad, we are definitely moving forward, and there can't be too many teams, in the Premier League, that look at us as "an easy 3 points".
    Whatever Claude has done, in such a short time, to get the players working as such a cohesive unit is incredible.
    Irrespective of the lineup/changes, we are playing at the same level, game after game.
    I still don't have the heart to right off JRod, just yet. I thought he was "ponderous", poor first touch and over thinking his game, instead of playing instinctively, yet he also reminded me of how he was, in his first season with us, before he finally made the step up. Before he tweaked his groin, I thought he looked quite decent, in his cameo against Sparta, so IMO, he needs more, continuous game time.
    McQueen did really well, clearly has a good attitude, but couldn't have had two easier games, in which he hasn't been tested, defensively.
    Roll on Sunday.

20. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Just got home. Absolutely fantastic trip, we have a lot of great fans. I love football!

Libby likes this.