1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Europa League Final

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Chief, May 23, 2017.

1. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Serious question - would Mouriniho be sacked if he loses?

On another note:

-------------------Romero
    Valencia---Jones----Blind----Darmian
    ------------Herrera---Pogba
    ----Lingard------Mata---------Mhkitaryan
    ----------------Rashford

I would however love Fellani to start and be captain - keep up his 100% winning streak.

2. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm sorry I was completely disconnected there with regards to the bombing. I'm often in a world without direct access to the very latest events when I'm work tied. It took me a while to realize what had happened. I hope everyone reading this their loved ones are save and sincere prayers for the families of the lost ones.

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

No probs, I assumed as much.

<ok>

4. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

I think The Times back page has it about right today - 'Forget the trophy, forget the Champions League - Honour the dead.'

The players can't be expected to have clear heads tonight - their focus has been shattered. Spirit is what they need.

5. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When I first read your OP I wasn't sure it was a reference to the bombing or just our general lack of match threads, so it's an easy mistake to make.

The daughter of one of my parents' friends was at the concert, and is still in shock and keeps bursting into tears. Really brings it home, especially as we were at a concert a couple of months ago. It was at the O2, but on the way out there was a big crowd of people walking to the Tube and nothing to stop someone wandering up and setting something off in the middle.

Definitely puts the football into perspective, hopefully they will find those responsible before they can try anything else.

glazerfodder likes this.
  6. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

Interesting that, cos aside from De Gea we put a weaker side out against Chelsea last time out and beat them comfortably, we stifled every threat they had going forward. Not a single shot on target.

King Shergar likes this.
  7. Stan

Stan Stalker

I hope they win it for so many more reasons now.

8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

The converse being that you have on paper had stronger teams than the opposition and been found wanting. Your game at Watford being one such match, so it happens even to the best. Celta getting the better of Barcelona is another.

9. HRH Custard VC

HRH Custard VC National Car Park Attendant

2-0 UTD

Sir Tennisball likes this.
  10. Tel (they/them)

Perhaps you're right, perhaps it was a lucky day for us. Could be that Chelsea had no European games to factor in to their fixture list.

Many factors, that will surely be adjusted again over the summer.

11. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

This is a first isn't it mate?

You deserting the Mackems now they've bombed out the league?

Anyway, I reckon it'll go to ET tonight

12. The Ides of March

I do not think it was lucky. As you said, the result was merited on the day but I am looking at both sides over the duration of a season, and Chelsea have proven themselves (albeit without European Competition), whereas United have had to juggle things around)

You have a strong squad, stronger than most. Chelsea and Spurs have, arguably, better first 11s at the moment.

13. Tel (they/them)

Ha, I'm feeling my way around the site, looking for new friends <laugh>

I've got no idea how it'll go to be honest, although I'd be a lot less confident if Lyon didn't hump them in the last game.

Tobes likes this.
  14. Tel (they/them)

I wouldn't argue with that, both teams are currently stronger but I'd say the gap is not that wide. If we add goals, our defense as crap as it looks on paper has been tighter than Chelsea's this season.

We could close that gap to both teams by buying Harry Kane. Not that I think we will, but it probably would.

15. Stan

Stan Stalker

How did you end up camped on the Sunderland board?

16. The Ides of March

I am sure that you will and as surely as day follows the night, Manchester United will win the PL again, but it is impossible to put the date.

PS: HK is brilliant and is more important to Spurs than any other team. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a surge in growth of people supporting Spurs, and like Ronaldo and others helped to propel your club to becoming one of the major clubs in the footballing world, Kane can help Spurs to gain that worldwide recognition, maybe not quite at the level of Real, Barca or United but certainly in far greater numbers.

PPS: I was having a conversation with a Southampton fan and 40-50 years ago lots of youngsters the length and breadth of the country supported ...... Leeds. I don't think Leeds have anything like that level of support nationwide amongst a younger generation. Now it is yourselves, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal. I do not know City's level of support nationwide. Maybe it has grown considerably in the North. How else do you explain gates of 54,000 every home match?

Tel (they/them) likes this.
  17. Tel (they/them)

I think it was just a lively board, and I think they had a few on loan from United so I stumbled on it more than anything. Just ended up getting on with quite a few of the lads and they do a lot of off-topic stuff, from the funny to the bizarre which is right up my street.

I didn't know the PL board existed til relatively recently so started using that a bit more often, seems some decent lads on there so being a bit more open minded now.

18. Matth_2014

Matth_2014 Well-Known Member

I don't care who starts tonight, As long as they do the club, Fans, and Manchester proud.

19. Tel (they/them)

City probably have gained more fans since the Sheikh's, it's only natural that any club that has success will develop their following. Having said that, it doesn't stop them sending Sergio on to Key 103 and asking him to beg their fans to buy tickets for Champions League games.

I think Kane can do that for Spurs, you're right, but Levy's gonna have to pay him what the likes of United, City or Chelsea would pay him. Unless he's one of a kind, that doesn't care about the difference between £120k a week and £350k a week, then it's hard to see him staying put for the long term. He's having a great time though, the 10 lads behind him are almost perfectly set up for him, I don't know who the targets are for Spurs but it'll take a lot to improve the side.

The Ides of March likes this.
  20. Tel (they/them)

Lots of City fans shelving their allegiance to the blue shirt for one night only tonight, I never thought I'd see such a thing but explains this city wonderfully.

Hopefully I'll never have to reciprocate.