1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Euro 2021 Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by RogerisontheHunt, May 24, 2021.

1. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

If Southgate thinks lumping the ball up to kane or sterling and expecting them to produce a moment against the italian defence is a viable tactic, then we'll I can imagine alot if disappointed englishmen come the end of 90 minutes

Then again I've lost count of the amount of tournaments that England have entered where being able to run fast was seem as an adequate replacement for technical ability.

Bumps and Zanjinho like this.
  2. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Just can't see what tactic Southgate will employ against Italy. It's why I'd have preferred Spain in the final.

Got to beat Denmark first though

3. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

4. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

Yes, very much getting ahead of our selves talking about Italy when I'm fully prepared for England to get beat 1 nil tomorrow night.

I find it slightly annoying that we've got the players to keep the ball in tight areas to actually dominate possession, but the chance of them being used is close to zero.

I agree Southgate will fall back on his tried and tested, we will see.

Zanjinho likes this.
  5. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Yep, England gave decent attacking players but we put everything into defensive tactics.

England have played well (not attractively) this tournament and deserve praise, I just struggle to get on board with negative style football.

I expect us to beat Denmark much like we did Ukraine; tight and defensive but open up if we take a two goal lead.

We'll be granted a new ring piece if we get to play Italy in the final!

THE FOOL likes this.
  6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I love the way this Italian side play but tbf Spain out-smarted Italy imo. Italy have one style and it's playing full tempo, pass and move attacking football - which is great (and my kind of football), but Spain had them running around tiring them out for 90 mins.

The funny thing is we have one advantage the Spanish lacked tonight... and that's decent forwards. That's the only reason why Spain are out tonight. If we can play like that against Italy, with our forwards, I'm sure England will win.

What worries me is that Southgate will watch that Spanish performance tonight and put out his version of possession football not the Spanish's, which will mean England passing it sideways and back. And the difference will be the Italians will pin us back eventually forcing us to keep lumping it forward. What the Spanish did was keep possession but with a purpose, they kept attacking by playing through the lines. THAT is what England need to do and we'll win... that's if we get past Denmark of course.

THE FOOL likes this.
  7. moreinjuredthanowen

The first 25mins v Croatia. That's where we need to see hope imo. We blew hot that day, perhaps southgate was unhappy with it I dont know bit we showed we could be busy then.

Denmark however are another beast here. 3/5 at the back. It's like a mirror image of england but without the total negativity.

Our main creative outlet is Luke shaw. When we have 3/4 really good attackers/midfielders that says a lot but it is what it is.

We need to get the first Goal v denmark and force them to play the game they dont like to play.

8. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

<grr> <laugh>

Bumps and Solid_Air 2 like this.
  9. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

<grr>

saintKlopp likes this.
  10. Milnermino Lamborini

Milnermino Lamborini Well-Known Member

Gone through this thread and disappointed no one has mentioned how brilliant Pedri is. 18 yrs old and playing over 60 games this season. Not blessed with pace and physique but does he compensate for it by understanding where to be at the right time and place.
    Id love to see how these players are coached

11. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

5 at the back, keep it tight, hope to score from a set piece.

12. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

On the ball looked very good. Not seen much of barca this season. Looks like typical Spain midfielder, good in tight areas, passing very good and close control.

13. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

Since I knew we were linked with him I've paid close attention. Very good player. He laid it on a plate twice for their forward who missed spectacularly. Doubt there's anything to the links but he would suit us well, he even looks like a scouser <laugh>

14. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

there is literally zero chance of Barca flogging Pedri .

Bumps likes this.
  15. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

Would have agreed with the first bit, but rumoured to be four at the back. We played five when we lost to them last year, didn't we?

And don't think we'll rely on set pieces; most of our few goals so far have been from open play.

16. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

Most of our games haven’t been against decent sides tbf

17. lfcpower

lfcpower Well-Known Member

Getting nervous for later ... hopefully Federer can make the Wimbledon semis :emoticon-0136-giggl

THE FOOL and saintKlopp like this.
  18. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

They are in serious financial trouble which gets worse if Messi stays. I agree Pedri leaving isn't happening, it's always good to be linked with the best players though.

19. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

****'s getting real. England could be Euro 2020 Champions. * :emoticon-0142-happy

20. moreinjuredthanowen

Most of our goals are almost over loads where we get in on the our left and cross or weve walked right through the middle due to defensive shape error.

It's about getting in behind I suppose. If we can work it to get behind their line that's the most likely route

Denmark at a back 5. 2 strong holding players in front. Thus far they are playing a right footed player at left back so that might play into shaws hands I suppose.