1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Euro 2021 Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by RogerisontheHunt, May 24, 2021.

1. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

I did wonder if we needed more than one goal in that first half hour. That said, it took a long time for them to start creating clear chances. But yeah, should have made an attacking change earlier.

Zanjinho likes this.
  2. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Their goal was very lucky too I suppose

3. moreinjuredthanowen

No idea what formation was in extra time or at the end,mdidnt see any plan bar defend today.

Super start, not followed up.

Zorba likes this.
  4. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

We have played some nice football in patches and did get better as the tournament went on, until the second half.

5. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Don't think I need to say anything here...

saintKlopp likes this.
  6. saintKlopp

Southgate is a safety-first tactician. It's not what I watch football for.

7. lfcpower

lfcpower Well-Known Member

Frustrating.

England had maybe 25 minutes of good threatening attacking football after the early goal, but they succumbed to the same problem they've had all tournament during that which was nothing happening outside and in the box.

After that they decided they'd try and spend the rest of the game defending 1-0 which was a stupid decision, given it's the final of a major international tournament against arguably the best side in that tournament, and in expecting that side to not be able to equalise. If England scored during that purple patch they probably would've won in normal time.

Similarly they probably would've won if they'd continued to try and be positive at any point after that period but they just weren't, either because they'd been told/decided to play a certain way or just weren't capable of it again.

Why they had three kids who hadn't even featured in the game take three crucial pens (awful pens btw, all with those stupid stuttering run ups) is beyond me.

Anyway. Congrats to Italy, great country, great team performance throughout this tournament.

DirtyFrank and saintKlopp like this.
  8. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

I repeat, Sterling is nowhere near as effective on the right. He was doing nothing until Saka came on and he switched flanks. Then when Grealish came on he went back to the right and went mostly quiet again.

Possibly should have started with Sterling on the left and Saka on the right. Mount better at pressing but our attack suffered.

moreinjuredthanowen likes this.
  9. saintKlopp

They look good set to music on their Instagram accounts.

lfcpower likes this.
  10. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

They did switch to a more attacking formation after the equalizer and the game was pretty even after that. But yeah, it ultimately came too late.

Also, agree about the run-ups.

11. lfcpower

lfcpower Well-Known Member

Yeah, as long as the post cuts off just as they kick it

12. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

Understand, but I preferred this tournament to, say, Euro 2000. It's a case of finding the right balance, and I think we'd all prefer a more attacking style if possible. But is his job to win games as well.

13. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

Good to see Sterling stepping up as the contender for 'player of the tournament' and 'world class finisher' that he is when taking the decisive pena....oh wait.

Maybe now the media can stop with the whole 'Southgate has got every decision right' story now. Far too defensive, weirds choices for penalties and frankly, we deserved to lose based on that performance. He's not a good enough manager when he comes up against quality opposition. We have an amazing squad...for the right manager.

Zanjinho likes this.
  14. saintKlopp

Yes, but there's more than one way to win. I've been consistent throughout my time on here that I expect football to be entertaining. There are times when you need to grind out a result of course - but to have it as your playing philosophy is just not good enough, imo.

Nozzer and lfcpower like this.
  15. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

Question is of course, if he went more attacking, would we still win? Southgate presumably doesn't think so, and if it's a choice between playing pretty and getting the win it's his job to go with the latter.

That said, England's defence and CM has performed better than most expected.

Not saying I disagree with you btw.

saintKlopp likes this.
  16. saintKlopp

I'd be happy to see him give it a go.

Zanjinho likes this.
  17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think you have to give Italy and Mancini credit as much as (I agree) we retreated. They didn't panic when they went behind and played their natural game and never compromised on their football and within 15-20 of Shaw's goal were beginning to control the game.

And as for Mancini, he had the guts to take off Immobile and Barella withing 5-10 mins of the 2nd half, brought on Berardi and Cristanti which allowed Insigne and Chiesa to have a free role and then the movement of Italy was just incredible to watch.

As much as I'm gutted and feeling a bit numb that we lost - especially after Pickford's save against Jorgino when I thought that was it, we were going to win it, I don't feel as devastated because throughout the tournament I've admired the way Italy play and there's no shame in losing to them. They were the best performers throughout the tournament.

lfcpower, Zanjinho, Diego and 2 others like this.
  18. Nozzer

Nozzer Well-Known Member

Agree that Italy deserved it for the tournament as a whole, and probably just about on the night as well.

19. RogerisontheHunt

RogerisontheHunt Well-Known Member

I think there are some deficiencies in the England squad.

The lack of a quality keeper, Pickford is a decent keeper but his lack of aerial control is missing, compare that to Donnarumma who took almost ever ball into the box with relative ease tonight. Pickfords long distribution is also appalling

Lack of depth at CB, Maguire and Stones thats about it and neither of them are Worldclass, its a big drop off to Mings and even bigger to Coady.

Leadership, Kane still doesn't strike me as good cpt material and there doesn't seem to be many leaders on the pitch that would drag the rest on and fire them up in tough games. The lack of guts from some of the 'leaders' tonight was clear when it came to pens leaving Saka to take the 5th

20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Utter garbage <laugh>

Diego likes this.