1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Euro 2020 Final: England vs Italy 11/07/2021 20:00 BBC/ITV

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Peter110721

Peter110721 New Member

God my wife has been unbearable! <laugh>:emoticon-0120-doh::emoticon-0121-angry:headbang:

2. Toss saints

Toss saints Well-Known Member

And where was Sterling the big I am to take a penalty, no doubt hiding behind Sako. Feel sorry for the three young kids, they were let down by their manager and the senior pros

3. Toss saints

Very like 1998, big players missing when a penalty needs to be taken

4. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Hey, that was a tournament to be proud of, with a young team and a manager who is also learning as he goes on this toughest of gigs.

I said at the time I worry when people are brought on cold just for penalties, but they're two confident lads, and they'll have wanted to do that. I would have liked to have seen them on a lot earlier, but hey, hindsight is great, right? I'd have also liked JWP there instead of a not quite fit enough Henderson. But these are all learning points. Italy over the whole game were the stronger side, looking at it objectively (though by God they need a proper striker. Belotti has to be the worst Italian 9 I've ever seen, and Immobile isn't a whole lot better).

We'll come back strong, really strong for the World Cup in Qatar (absurd though it is that it should be there). And we have a team we can be proud of. I really feel for Sancho, Rashford, and particularly young Saka, but they'll come back from this.

Well done England. Well done Southgate. Proud.

ChilcoSaint, davecg69, Libby and 9 others like this.
  5. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

In what world is Sterling a "big I am"? Grealish didn't take one either.

6. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

??? We rode that period out and lost on penalties that could have gone either way. Italy had gone 33 games unbeaten for a reason, they are quite good.

7. Toss saints

Everything he does. He wants to be the star. Will always shoot and go for glory rather than pass. In the first game of the tournament he scored from a great ball from Phillips, but rather than celebrate with Phillips, it was all about him. Where was he when we needed someone to score a penalty, hiding behind a inexperienced 19 year old. Sorry but but for me he is all glory and no guts

Saints14 likes this.
  8. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

Do we really have to go back to watching Saints after that?

9. Toss saints

I don't expect he was allowed to. Might of be too much for Southgate if Grealish became the hero

10. SaintMupp

SaintMupp New Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. Too negative. We have the players to hurt teams, but they were left on the bench. #Southgate out.

Jack50 and Toss saints like this.

11. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

No words.

Peter110721 likes this.
  12. Toss saints

Yes, but as soon as Grealish came on, he won free kicks and stemmed Italy. He could have done that earlier. Italy are very good. But England were one nil up and made no effort to change it when Italy were beginning to dominated. Certainly not proactive management. But then his CV reads relegation of a reasonable Boro team. Far too negative coach to win. Sometimes you need to go for it

Saints14 likes this.
  13. RedandWhiteManofKent

Still don't think you can blame Southgate too much, went with Henderson the so called amazing Liverpool captain who should have the experience for this occasion. As it happened he offered nothing. I don't disagree that grealish should have come on earlier for the reasons you have given but I don't blame Southgate for the defeat or that we can't build on this

14. Toss saints

Hi Number 7 our opinions on Saints normally align. I assume you "no words comment" is at our criticism rather that Southgate awful decision making.

I said to my lad after the first game, Italy would win as they played attractive attacking football.

In the first half England were better. Then second half Italy dominate. No doubt with the orders to sit deep and protect the 1-0 rather similar to the group's games. We needed to go offensive and push then back. But no we brought Henderson on who just made us look more pedestrian. Then to bring two young lads on with hardly a kick in the tournament to take a penalty is just crazy. Southgate must know this after 1996. Senior pros hiding from taking a penalty. That match could and should have been won. Conservatism lost it. We need a more attack minded coach before Qarar

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  15. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Well, ****

16. Toss saints

Sorry, I do blame Southgate. You and I knew Henderson was a busted flush so why did he bring him on. It was his decision.surely he knew other players would have more energy, even an injured Rice would have been better, who I thought was awesome tonight

davecg69 likes this.
  17. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I thought I was watching Saints. Scoring first and hanging on. Slow back passing all the ****ing time. Losing from a winning position.

18. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

No words are actually as I have been here too many times, and have no words.

It makes me realise that although I have Italian blood running through my veins, I am not vaguely Italian. You are who you are and maybe that is the biggest thing I have learned.
    We should have done it, We could have done it, We didn't. no words, That is all

Edit: in fairness, my closest cousin texted me and said that my late mother would be pleased, but I know that she would be more unhappy that her son was unhappy than Italy winning. Maybe that is a true lesson.

19. RedandWhiteManofKent

We could debate all night the things he got right and things he got wrong. I won't though cause I'm shattered.

Maybe he should have taken JWP.......anyway when the dust settles, this has been a great tournament.

20. Toss saints

See you in August and we can discuss why Saints are so bad!

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.