1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

EU Referendum - how will you vote?

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Apr 1, 2016.

?

How will you vote in the EU Referendum

Poll closed Apr 8, 2016.
  1. Remain

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Leave

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Welcome back, Ponders. This forum is poorer without you.
    Let's wait and see how this decision affects us all in the long term. I'd be delighted to find out that I was wrong. Cameron has stood down, and it looks like we'll have Boris as PM quite soon, so I hope there is a challenge to Corbyn, quickly, otherwise we could have an election as well. Since Corbyn is unelectable any leader would want an election before Labour gets a chance to replace him.
    There were many people who voted Leave for the very best of reasons, but at the same time there are those who blame immigrants for all the country's woes, and they will be encouraged by this, and their attitudes will harden.
    A serious question for Vol- why do you think London bucked the trend?

Ponders Revisited likes this.
  2. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

He's cemented his position in British history - let's hope that's enough for him and he'll retire quietly to this local to live out his days..

3. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

If Corbyn remains - whoever becomes the new PM will call an election. He has to go before the Tories get there man.

4. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

It's good to be back, guys. :) Not sure how much I'll be commenting on the Charlton-related matters (I now follow a couple of non-league teams), but I'm always happy to get involved in this sort of debate.

Aside from Cameron's resignation, the best part of today has been seeing the bitterness on the pinched faces of Cooper, Khan, Campbell, Cable et al.

Democracy is the big winner today. Tomorrow we can worry about the implications of this historic decision.

And now Blair is talking. <laugh>

5. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Maybe Roland will consider his position?

6. Ponders Revisited

Blair says this country doesn't want Farage to be involved in its future.

I'd say quite a few people disagree with you, Tony. You twat!

7. The Kish

The Kish Well-Known Member

Cheers Ponders. And good to hear from you. And sadly you are right, that is evidently very fair to say!

DonCorleone likes this.
  8. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

A war criminal (who is Envoy of the Quartet on the middle east, how about that for irony) who should be locked up. A face that begs to be punched.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Ken Shabby and Ponders Revisited like this.
  9. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Not all parts of London.

Bexley voted massively for Leave, and so did Havering. So too did the Labour heartland of Dagenham and Barking. In my own borough of Bromley the result was 50.5-49.5 for Remain.

London has effectively become a political country within a country. It can all but be ignored in terms of its relevance, although it obviously contains a lot of seats. Take Islington for example- Remain got 70% of the vote last night, and Corbyn has a 25,000 majority. Yet if Labour goes into a GE with Corbyn as leader, he will crash the Party for another 15 years.

Finally, I don't like the standard left wing trope about "blaming immigrants for our woes". People blamed the fact that for 41 years they were never asked for their permission at the ballot box to bring 335,000 immigrants a year to the UK. Yesterday they finally got that chance, and just look at what they said.

10. User deleted as requested

Chilcott reports on 7 July <cheers>

11. The Kish

The Kish Well-Known Member

Well at least that will unite everyone again. Temporarily.

12. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Not convinced it was a vote for Farage - the GE wasn't very favourable towards him. I think this is his peak - though expect him to milk it.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  13. Ponders Revisited

Blimey, Kish - I was expecting it from both barrels. :emoticon-0141-whew:

I really do believe immigration has been the key factor in this referendum. The rapid influx of people, however well intentioned, has been overwhelming for many communities and their services, yet the average person is always expected to keep it zipped. The same old lines are trotted out on a regular basis - 'the British people are too lazy' and 'the immigrants are the backbone of this nation' - and yet many politicians and commentators believed these sound-bites would somehow strengthen the case for remaining.

How is alienating and insulting your own people going to help?

14. Ponders Revisited

Farage deserves his day in the sun. He's a foxhunting nerk, granted, but he does have plenty of bottle.

DonCorleone likes this.
  15. DonCorleone

He says it how it is and doesn't keep quiet to suit personal agendas like other politicians. A shame he been given a title as a racist, due to the fact he has a sensible view on immigration.

16. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

He also said £350mil would go to the NHS, and today says it won't. He knows how to scare monger.

The Kish likes this.
  17. DonCorleone

I don't believe he said that 350m would go to the NHS, but could. Just like Donald Tusk said Brexit COULD signal the end of western civilisation. The scaremongering from the remain side was infinitely worse, and as it was such a glaringly obvious decision to stay, why did they stoop to such levels?

Even if Farage said that and that led people to vote leave, they are absolute morons - he has absolutely no say over budgets and such.

18. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

"Instead of handing over £350 million a week to the EU we should spend our money on our priorities like the NHS.

"If we take back control of our borders, democracy and economy on June 23 we can ensure that the UK and our health service prospers for this and future generations."

It's implied though, that's fair to say. For Farage to admit it was a ''mistake'' this morning shows it was bs. He played the better game - I won't deny that. I also will try not to be too upset as I'm still not clear what it means, and understand it was a democratic vote.

19. User deleted as requested

What it means is that in two years time the UK will take back control of its own destiny. If you don't like the policies you can change them at the ballot box in 2020. Nobody elected Juncker the Nobody from Luxembourg and the Commissioners, and you personally have absolutely no say or influence over the decisions they make. Thanks to QMV, neither does your MEP who gets elected on a 15% turnout in the EU elections. Just do the Maths - 15% turnout in the EU elections, but a 72% turnout to get rid of them yesterday.

I am loving hearing these faceless, six figured salaried nobodies from Lux and Estonia telling us what a mistake democracy is- what they really mean is they will miss the UK's net contribution of 10 billion a year which pays for their chauffeur driven cars and pension pots.

Interesting that the Kent Labour MEP Peter Skinner was jailed for 3 years last month for embezzling half a million pounds out of his EU expenses. He fictitiously put his dead father on his payroll and claimed expenses which went on paying for family holidays and expensive jewellery for his wife.

Kinnock is by any standards one of the worst politicians since 1945 - the British people wouldn't have him twice so he went to the EU as a commissioner, was an absolute cock at the job, and now Lord Pinnock and "Baroness Kinnock" are on a gold plated EU pension worth a combined £250,000 a year.

It was Lord Pillock who was a Commissioner at the same time as the EU's auditor failed to sign off their accounts - because of the vast amount of UK taxpayers money that had gone missing.

The people's party indeed <cheers>

Look at TUC Leader Frances O'Grady - what a f*cking hand wringing idiot that woman is. She says that leaving the EU will "cost 3m jobs" what did the EU do recently for her members at Tata Steel. State subsidy rules wouldn't let the UK Govt help them !! What an idiot.

Labour has lost its purpose and its identity - its now an unhealthy mixture of token faddists like Abbott, led by Marxist extremists like Corbyn. It is now a party solely for grungy student activists, unworldly internet geeks, and failed washed freeloaders like the Welsh Windbag, Baroness Mandleson, and John Prescott !!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  20. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

it's not being reported anywhere, but the ftse is bouncing back quite nicely - http://www.londonstockexchange.com/.../summary/summary-indices-chart.html?index=UKX

the pound is also bouncing back.

in 2-3 months we'll be back where we were.

despite 1.5m difference in votes, it could have been much worse. the bbc and sky had a media black out on the brits being attacked at calais on wednesday. and they also refused to publish Juncker's comments about there being no reform on friday (today) if we stayed. the media tried to sway this vote because they are based in the city and wanted to carry on profiting. if facts have been presented without agenda this would have been 60/40 for out.

i voted out due to there being no reform being offered. the eu got so cocky that they thought regular people would put up with that. they make 56% of our laws - they could have easily added the reform option to the ballot but ego go in their way.

at least in the next general election, those elected will be held accountable for how the country is being run.