1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Eriksen

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Hoddle is a god, Aug 11, 2019.

1. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

I hadn't thought about it before, but PS is right. One season will cost the buyer £30m (or whatever we demand) and so it is likely whoever wants him will wait a year unless they are very wealthy.

PowerSpurs likes this.
  2. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

You make an excellent case DH what I would say is that I think we expect more from the current team because as you describe it is a better overall team. I am willing to speculate that if we had Modric in this current team rather than Eriksen we might well have a little more push and a little more chance of actual winning something. Who knows! But I take your point about him having to shine in a better team. When this team have tried to be very strong, as in the battle of Stamford Bridge, you could see the heart was there and even in the game against Villa and other similar games Spurs keep trying until the end. The last 4 games in the CL before the final showed the fight that there is the team. Was it Eriksen? I certainly don't think he was the main man in those games. You might have expected him to be but he's not captain material is he.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Or they want to make sure that they get him and get this season from him, too.
    Leave it until the summer and he can go wherever he wants, unless they've already tapped him up illegally, which is probably the case.

NSIS likes this.
  4. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

A loan with an option to buy is a better analogy. But we either get a fee or an extra season out of him and the fee needs to compensate for us losing the extra season. The extra season can hardly be worth more than £40m to the buying club but it might be to us. So I would not sell him for less than that which means I most likely wouldn't sell him at all.

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Tough to say, whilst both are creative players they play in different positions. Modric dictated from deep, Eriksen more advanced. Personally I'd have loved to see the pair in the same side but I wouldn't be able to say who I think would be better for Spurs right now (assuming Modric was still in his prime) as the current system works better than the system Modric played in at Spurs.

As for the CL, it was a crazy run. We didn't actually play too much great football in many of the games and often had to rely on individuals to bail us out - Kane vs PSV, Eriksen vs Inter, Lucas vs Barca, Son vs City, Lucas vs Ajax. Unfortunately none of those turned up in the CL final and we paid the price for it, although a lot of blame can be thrown on Poch for benching Lucas for that at a time he was riding a high and responsible for getting us to that very final.

In terms of captain material, I think many great players don't/ wouldn't necessarily make great captains. I agree Eriksen wouldn't be a good captain but then neither would the likes of Lucas, Dele, Sissoko or Son. Someone like Dier could make a great captain but right now he's struggling to make the side - albeit a lot of that is down to his injuries/ illnesses. Dawson made a great captain for us but as players, Jan, Toby and even Dave are better than he was. It seems more of a personality factor (both on and off the pitch) than an ability factor when it’s comes to captaincy, it's why players like Sergio Ramos are a rarity, in that he's an elite defender as well as a fantastic captain PLUS just a complete born winner.

6. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Winks is becoming Captain material. A bit of a Roy Keane in there me thinks. Keep clear of injury and a couple of years down the line. He needs to learn a bit more sh!thousery, but that is coming.

7. Yes, surprised a few of us, against Villa.

Very solid and dependable. Let’s hope he can keep that going all season.

Poch obviously has a lot of faith in him.

8. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Yeah for the U23s :bandit:

9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's Scott Parker with a little more passing ability and technique, in my opinion. Certainly not a bad thing.

Hoddle is a god likes this.

11. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

upload_2019-8-14_12-40-32.gif

redwhiteandermblue and Dier Hard like this.
  12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

The Huddlefro likes this.
  13. deedub93

A season and a half ago when I suggested that Sissoko was the MoM, people laughed, they are not laughing now. Winks has it in him, just needs to stay injury free.

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Hey I didn’t laugh! CK made a thread around 18 months ago about Sissoko, I felt there and then he’d proven to be handy, albeit didn’t expect him to become as good as he has. I think it was that thread too that I started voicing concerns over Winks, unfortunately my opinion hasn’t changed. Squad player at best for me, don’t like seeing him in the starting XI.

15. deedub93

Others agree with me...

16. It’s the Poch factor. Give him the raw talent and the right aptitude, and he will turn you into an international standard player.

17. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

Hmm, our rivals want Winks in the team. I smell a rat.....!

Dier Hard likes this.
  18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Most do. People seem to love him for some reason. It’s like he’s Lewis Holtby reincarnated.

19. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

I miss Holtby!

redwhiteandermblue and Dier Hard like this.
  20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

YOU SEE!!!

Diego and SpursDisciple like this.