1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England Women's squad announced

Discussion in 'International Cricket' started by lahdarbheinn, May 19, 2011.

1. lahdarbheinn

lahdarbheinn Member

PLAYERS WITH REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL
    Lydia Greenway has moved up a level with her batting. Heck it’s taken long enough but in the last 18 months she’s definitely got into the world class category.
    Danni Wyatt breaks into the ODI team (already a T20 regular) – needs to improve shot selection but has potential to be England’s most graceful batsmen. Fantastic fielder as well and her bowling, whilst under used, has been good.
    Katherine Brunt on becoming the No1 ranked bowler in the world and for her amazing 5-18 in the ODI final.
    Arran Brindle for breaking back into the team and making a significant impact in the latter overs of our innings.
    Sarah Taylor for demonstrating what we missed in Australia – always scores fast and never lets the bowlers dominate her
    The whole squad for winning both tournaments.

PLAYERS WITH REASONS TO BE MOURNFUL
    One, well perhaps two players had not altogether successful series but they’ll know that and go away and work on things.
    Anya Shrubsole and Jenny Gunn for getting crocked.

AREAS TO COMMEND
    Game management in T20
    Fielding performance
    Constructing competitive totals after early losses
    Putting chasing batting sides under pressure
    Winning games when not playing well

AREAS TO WORK ON
    Shot selection and placement
    Keeping the non-spinners fit

BIG STEP FORWARD
    Solved the problem of innings falling away or going down like a pack of cards. At 88-4 in previous seasons we’ld have bombed. So good to see a batting line up that just goes on and on and on. Greenway, Brindle & Sarah Taylor did a superb job in the 5/6/7 slots.

GOOD IDEAS WORTH PURSUING
    1. Giving the Academy team matches against touring teams at the start of the tour – win/win for both the touring team and the Academy
    2. Playing England women T20 matches before England men T20 matches – irritates the hell out of me because it makes watching them so much more difficult and expensive but it’s clearly a great way to show case women’s cricket. This is especially important if a given nation’s men’s and women’s team are in the UK at the same time.
    3. (Further to previous point) Synchronize men’s and women’s tours so we have both the men’s and women’s team in the country at the same time. This should at least be an aspiration for Australia, India, New Zealand and West Indies.
    4. Playing more international cricket – okay I know it’s a challenge with time/cost limitations. Somehow Pakistan, Sri Lanka and South Africa need to be helped because there is a whopping gap between the top 5 and the these nations.
    5. Include the West Indies in the next ‘Quadrangular’ Series because they’ve probably earned inclusion with their recent improvement.

STATISTICS
    Brian, give some time and I’ll see what I can dig up.

AND FINALLY TO THE GRAND OLD LADIES

Lottie. Yes she had a dodgy ODI series with the bat (by her high standards) but she remains one of England’s great captains – any gender, any sport, any era. She won’t get a lot of recognition of this, not least because most of Britain’s sport journalism is only interested in football. It would be fascinating to have her miked up in a game when England are fielding.

Tails. A legend. A magnificent career and deserves all the accolades and awards she either has had or will get. Hope she’s not lost to the England team and players can still learn from her. Not retired from non-international cricket so still playing county championship and premier league I guess ..... the violin !