1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England women

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by monty987, Jun 27, 2019.

1. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Superb tonight, exellent all over the pitch, we could win the world cup ! i will admit the defending should be better.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Hefty fullback and Saf like this.
  2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I saw most of the game tonight, it's a mixed bag. Some nice passing and close control but terrible defending and keeping and it all happens in what looks like slow motion.

Fair play to them though it's played in a great spirit and they don't embarrass themselves by cheating their way through the game like men do.

Dorset likes this.
  3. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Scott, Houghton, Bronze, Mead, Staniforth, Stokes, Telford all played for Sunderland ladies.

That's why the FA relegated our lasses from the premier to the third division last year - bloody scandal :emoticon-0121-angry

4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Nice finish from Bronze like.

5. Home_and_Away

Home_and_Away Well-Known Member

Add Henderson & Pickford to that list and it shows that the academy is producing players that are pushing on to the next level!!

That said, How the F*ck have we ended up where we are now!!?!?

6. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Last night's game has shut a lot of the male pigs up who say football is for men. The women showed again that they do have a lot of talent and a great understanding of tactics and what is required of them. The passing was very good and I thought the full backs in particular were brilliant and caused Norway problems all night.

The game was more pleasing on the eye than a league one fixture.

7. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

What Ive watched of it so far its obvious that the women have more space and time but this allows them to play some good football. I'm surprised at how far it has come since I last watched it a few years ago. Its entertaining in its own way. Hope it continues.

Saf likes this.
  8. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Agree totally - but any league one team would trounce most if not all professional women's teams. The US national team got hammered 5-2 off an under 15s lads team - and it was their full first team. Just couldn't handle it.

9. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Some proper football going on in Italy. Germany and Spain's U21's have reached the finals serving up some great football along the way.

10. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

Think we should re-sign Houghton as a centre-half for this season.:emoticon-0148-yes:

11. Saf

Ha ha, my brother text me the exact same thing last night <ok>

Sunderlad likes this.
  12. Saf

Mr 55p has nailed it here, Marcus. 'It's entertaining in it's own way'

The male default position seems to be 'Yeah but they'd get beat off men' - Who cares and how is that relevant? They aren't up against men. The men also brush away male under 23 teams but I don't see everybody calling under 23 footballers a joke and an embarrassment.

I watch womens football from grassroots up. Every single season you can see massive strides being made in terms of talent. Its at the stage now where I'm seeing the girls close to an even par with the boys up until the age of 14/15 and then the lads bulk up and that is what the big difference is. Womens football will continue to get better but it's already very entertaining on the eye and not full of cry babies and divers like the men.

I stand by what I said. Since the group stages, the womens matches have been more pleasing on the eye than league 1 was, last season.

13. Saf

Oh and the USA's strongest team did not get beat off an under 15 boys team. It seems it was a kick about on the training ground and the sides were mixed <doh>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some people had a good laugh this week after there were reports of the USA women's national team (USWNT) losing 5-2 against a team of Under-15 boys from FC Dallas. Some on Twitter even gleefully revelled in the fact that the women's game has been 'shown up'.

Having used the Major League Soccer franchise's facilities as a training base ahead of an international friendly against Russia, the likes of Alex Morgan and Carli Lloyd (household names of the women's game) were supposed to have been 'embarrassed' by a bunch of kids.

The story first appeared on FC Dallas' website and was then 'reported' elsewhere.

The original post is now blocked by Dallas, most likely because a nice thing about youngsters having the chance to have an informal kick-about with World Cup winners and national heroes was later twisted into an attack by banter-obsessed pages and tweeters, suggesting that even a group of U15 boys could comfortably beat what is the best women's team in the world.

But it was all smiles afterwards as both sets of players happily posed for a group picture, not the utter humiliation and embarrassment some seem keen on making it.

14. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Have you ever seen a girl eating one of these
    please log in to view this image
    <whistle>

Seriously, they'll never be able to compete against men because they aren't built the same, but, as 'Saffy' says about 'Mr 55p' saying, it is entertaining . . . . to the point where it's now got to be (and is) taken seriously :emoticon-0148-yes:

Having said that, I play with a girl (what <yikes>) on a Wednesday, we treat her like everybody else, she thoroughly enjoys it, and so do we (in a way that we don't even notice that she's 'different') :emoticon-0100-smile

The most important part for me in this tournament is the absence of blatant cheating, and hopefully that won't evolve like it did in 'our' game :emoticon-0105-wink:

cumbrianmackem and Saf like this.
  15. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I’ve enjoyed it massively mate. My argument is probably more fuelled by that idiot woman running for president saying they should be paid the same as the men or Radio 4 (of all stations) who said “England women are doing great. But wouldn’t it be great if they could win the World Cup with a woman manager “

My default male “seriously wtf” kicked in I think

That and I feel in a foul mood about everything today

As for the us losing to 15 year old boys. Only read the Text from an article. Only just found out it was the Fail!!

Saf likes this.
  16. Saf

I'd like to see parts of the mens game brought into the women's fooball, though. Swapping shirts at the end of the match for a start <whistle>

17. Saf

Yeah they can't ask to be treated equally and then want a certain sex to be managing the teams. That's wrong.

I also agree, in general, women should not be paid anywhere near the same money as the men. They don't bring in the spectators, TV audience or any sort of revenue even close to the men. Until that happens then they've not got an argument.

The American situation is a bit more complex, though. The main sports over there are padded rugby, rounders and throwing a ball in a ring. Football doesn't really interest the yanks but the women have dominated football for decades now. They're actually suing the FA over there as they say they're way more popular and successful than their male counterparts. They've got a point and I can see why it's made it all the way to the high court.

18. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

AND, Vice Captain, Jordan Nobbs would have been in the Team had she not been injured.

But even as it stands, 30% of that Team were trained as youngsters at our Academy.
    Most of them managed by part timer Mick Mulhern, a Fireman I believe!

Many left in 2011 when our application to join the Super League was rejected to allow newly formed Man City in on the basis of commercial and marketing grounds.

Then The FA bounced us two divisions when we went part time.
    This in turn seems to have affected the recruitment process and as far as I know, no other Team has stepped in to replace the work that SAFC has done to nurture the young talent from the NE.

It seems a pity that The FA may well have shot themselves in the foot, AGAIN, by closing the door of opportunity on such an obviously talented area of the Country, just as the game is taking off.

Meanwhile a vote of thanks to SAFC from the FA for the work done in the past would not be out of place.

(Please note, on medical grounds readers should refrain from holding their breath).

19. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

Practically word for word what I said to Mrs Dorset last night! Great to see them get to the semi final though, but they've got a tough match against France or USA to reach the final. Beat either of them and I think they'll win it.

Makemstine Roger and Nacho like this.
  20. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

I've watched as many games as I could on line, the wife won't have it on the television under any curcumstances, she hates football.
    I've really enjoyed the games and apart from USAs last game where they threw themselves down when hardly touched there hasn't been the histrionics you get in the men's games.
    As for England winning it, they now have a great chance but need to cut out the sloppy passing and defensive errors as they've not been punished so far.
    As for grass roots football, I've been watching my grand daughter play since she was 11, now she's 16 and just left school and next season there isn't a league for her age group in our area, so her team mates are giving it up, Don't know how the FA have allowed this to happen?
    It's been a pleasure to watch them grow into a team, the improvement with age has been a joy to watch and sadly I'll miss it next season.
    As for people comparing men and women 's football....why would you they are completely different.