1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England v Tunisia

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Dorty Dogbreath, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Henderson was unbelievably good against Tunisia. Sorry but to suggest he’s a donkey is madness. Ask me 12 months ago and I’d say yes he is lacking. However he is the most improved player in England. A lack of movement around him hindered us the other night. Not him slowing it down.

I thought Delph was awful in the attacking role. He looked great when switched to holding midfield. We’ve missed a trick leaving Shelvey at home though. Loftus Cheek did well when he can on but I prefer Lingard and Alli filling those roles.

I’m not a massive Sterling fan but I can see why Southgate picks him. Kane is fairly slow and that electric pace balances it out. Rashford is there waiting though and his ability in tight areas is a massive plus in tournament football. Vardy is ill suited to Southgates tactics to be honest.

We don’t need to piss around too much. Win Panama, get the job done and then consider changes.

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.
  2. Warmir Pouchov

Typical England fan, one game, one bad performance, off with his head.

3. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

One?!

4. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Pickford will **** up

Thats my prediction

5. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

The thing I like about Henderson is that he's always in or around the action. Watch him, he's never too far away from the ball and has a great engine. He will run all day. He still has six fingers though, just like his mate Pickford.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  6. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

One bad performance? You obviously haven’t been watching England for the last 2 years 6 months or so.

:)

7. Warmir Pouchov

What’s gone before has gone. We are in a tournament now. Sterling didn’t deliver despite getting into great areas. Lingard missed chances. Players don’t fire every match. If they don’t improve next game, maybe, but one game into a tourney, having just won a game, I think a touch of faith and patience is required. We are not suddenly world beaters. Give them a chance to get into it.

8. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Pretty useful in a keeper to be fair.

I really rate Pickford, actually think he's been the best English keeper for a while. He has so much more he can develop about his game but at the moment he ****s on the likes of Hart.

9. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

You’re right, we are in a tournament and we don’t have the team quality to carry passengers otherwise we’ll be coming home pretty darn soon.

Rashford offered more in the short time he was on than Sterling did for all the time he was on. He’s been garbage for England for too long now and England don’t have the time to pussyfoot around to make sure Sterling’s not upset about being dropped.

He was given a chance and he blew it and not for the first time. Time to move on and give someone else a chance.

magpie290761 likes this.
  10. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

wouldn't surprise me, he's gifted us (whu) a few over the last few seasons, Pope should've got the nod imo.

11. Warmir Pouchov

He will score in the next match and justify his selection.

12. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

Against Panama. I will be more impressed if he scored against Belgium but I won’t put my house on it.

13. magpie290761

magpie290761 Well-Known Member

Agree on Rose but would put Rashford in for Sterling too

14. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

I like Rashford. Better player than Sterling and he's in better form. I don't mind Alli and Lindgard in the attacking midfield roles as I don't think we have better. Walker at CB is just weird and I don't think Maguire is that great to be honest so I can see better opposition having a field day with them. The team can play good stuff and have a lot of potential but there are a few weak links in there.

15. Warmir Pouchov

It doesn’t matter who he scores against. Get his tail up against Panama. If he underperforms get Rashford in. As George Michael said, you gotta have faith

16. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Mate he had a (roughly) 85% pass success from 60 odd passes, so let's call it 55 passes completed, 0 goal scoring opportunities created and of those 55 how many do you think were played forwards? I'd say probably 10 and that's being generous. 1 tackle, 1 interception, 1 clearance hardly a dominant display. I'd personally prefer Dier.

I'll give you he doesn't hold the ball to long and passes it backwards to the open man in good time but its still slowing our play down.

The others RLC/Delph over Lingard as they are actual midfielders and Rashford/Vardy over Sterling if we are playing 2 up top is a no brainer as they can actually finish.

17. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Zero goal scoring opportunities? Didn't he set up someone (Alli?) in the opening minutes with a lovely curved pass? I can't believe I'm defending a mackem <laugh>

magpie290761 and Warmir Pouchov like this.
  18. Warmir Pouchov

Stats? I watched mate and he was very good. His job is largely to feed Alli, Sterling, Lingard, Trippier. In the end he started doing their job in trying to make the play and release RLC and Rashford. I’ll watch it back at some stage no doubt and I don’t imagine I’ll change my mind much. I think the lad was good and hold my hands up, this season he has made me eat my words about him a nothing player. All loyalties aside, he is a massive asset to the England team.

19. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

And with the last sentence, you lost it.

20. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Know the one your talking about, good ball no doubt (one of his 4/5 good passes) but Alli squared the ball for Sterling or Lingard, and to be fair it was a good save from the keeper. But no goals scoring opportunities created.

Watched it as well mate but must have missed the exciting, fast flowing, forward thinking, attacking football we played with Hendo at the heart of it.

Gave my opinion you didn't agree so I used the match stats (which everyone's going wild about) to back it up. He is a donkey lots of running around not much to show for it. Nothing to do with loyalties. As I say I'd switch out a lot of others as well not just Henderson.