1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England Squad Announced

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by itfcptc, May 16, 2018.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Nigeria and Senegal are the strongest and Egypt have a strong side too (never mind the players at European teams, don't underestimate the players at the likes of Al Ahly). The other two are weak but I'd be surprised if at least one of those three didn't at least make the QF.

2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I think Egypt will make it out of their group, where they will likely meet Brazil and then most likely Argentina in the quarters, and Senegal have a good a chance as any in that even looking Group H. If Senegal manage to make it out though, they come up against either Belgium / England (depending where Senegal finish) and then Germany / Brazil in the quarters (again, depending where they finish in the group). I can't see any African sides getting to the semi finals, but then African football has been gradually improving over the past decade, so who knows? As for Nigeria, I think Argentina and Croatia will be too strong.

3. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Don't see Senegal having a prayer of getting past Poland / Colombia / Japan - be utterly amazed but will see.

Game of opinions footy - Feel for Tunisia having England + Belgium = but they COULD surprise people. Sure a friendly / no Ronaldo / but Tunisia came from 2-0 down away to Portugal recently.

Nigeria have a tough ask - depends what Argentina turn up however Croatia are strong. Rakatic / Modric et el.

Egypt I think have a good shot of coming out of Group A - however Portugal / Spain a tough 2nd rough likely tie if they do ?

I don't see any making it past the quarters and would be quite surprised if any did make a quarter. Perhaps Egypt most likely.

Just don't think any are remotely good enough as a squad.

We all looking forward to it !?

4. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I look forward to the World Cup when it actually starts. With lots of football to watch for free on TV, you can't complain about that if you're a football fan. EURO 2016 started well, but I thought the games generally got pretty dull.

My youthful passion for the England national football team has considerably dulled over the years, as I'm not a particularly patriotic person. I still hope we do well though. Given the choice between England winning the World Cup or Ipswich winning promotion, I'd always prefer the latter.

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I haven't analysed the groups or the knock out stages before now in my assumptions - and to be honest how often do those scenarios work out as expected? - but I do think Nigeria / Argentina / Croatia / Iceland is something of a group of death. Any of those teams could go through or be knocked out. Senegal should get out of their group along with Columbia and I'd expect Egypt and Uruguay to progress from Group A. Morocco, Tunisia need Spain, Portugal, Belgium or England to have a complete nightmare but it does happen.

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Like Ipswich under Mick, there has not been a lot to really get behind with the England team. When I look at the France side vs the current England side there is just no comparison. I saw the squad for '86 a couple of days ago and among the options you had midfield options of Bryan Robson, Glenn Hoddle, Chris Waddle, Ray Wilkins, John Barnes, Trevor Steven. Nevermind Gazza or Beckham / Scholes / Lampard / Gerrard era. Absolutely ridiculous. It's going to be another eight years before the current crop of teenagers have a stab at the World Cup so much like at Ipswich I'd like to see us play in the right way and be a lot cooler about results.

7. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

At least the press hype/overexpectations haven't been too bad so far.Perhaps we won't see so many idiots with car flags too!

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I recently watched the Graham Taylor documentary from '93. It's fair to say the press themselves tipped the balance in our qualifying. I was surprised to see that Taylor himself was a damn good manager, not how he was painted at all. The amount of stick he had to put up with definitely undermined his work.