1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

England should set up defensively

Discussion in 'England' started by stopthepress, Nov 13, 2011.

1. stopthepress

stopthepress Member

I've long believed that England should set up defensively against quality opposition, and assume the role of underdog based on lesser footballing ability. Today's win over Spain was evidence of this.

England can't keep the ball, but they can keep their shape and nick a goal from a set piece. Italy don't keep the ball either, but it doesn't matter because their method has never relied on being able to do so. England should see themselves as a better version of Ireland or Sweden...poor technically, but able to compensate through good organization and discipline. If Greece can win a trophy playing organized defensive football then England certainly can.

The problem here is that the fans and the media, and probably the players' pride, won't let them be the underdogs, even if it takes all the pressure off. But it wouldn't surprise me if Capello looks at what happened today and thinks "screw the fans and the media, I'm here to win a trophy".

2. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

However we set up we need the midfield to create outlets and we must press the opposition higher up the pitch. This is what Spain did to us in the first half. Our players may never be as technical as Spain but the defence came under a lot of pressure and we often waste energy getting the ball back only to squander possession as there is no attacking outlet valve. I think we need to try out different attacking options in the midfield which will link up with the lonely striker (Welbeck/Sturridge/Bent).

3. stopthepress

stopthepress Member

I don't think it's necessary to press. The forwards can press, but all the midfield needs to do is hold their shape in front of the defence.

If the midfield presses, then they're out of position once the opposition has got in behind them. Spain's pressing game is not a permanent thing...apparently at Barcelona they have a "7 second rule", where if the pressers haven't won the ball back within 7 seconds, then everybody drops back into defensive positions.