1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic England’s woes

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I take it we are looking in the stat books again? Its a terrible way to judge something like this I have to say. So many factors which influence that - not least who you play for. As always the eyes are the best judge. Just watch the two, it will quickly become apparent who is quicker and better with the ball. To be honest if you watched the game on Monday it would take 5mins to deduce that Mings is far better than Lascelles in possession.

Mings is a big personality with excellent leadership skills. I think Lascelles matches up to him in this regard, although his influence has waned since that first season. I think Lascelles has been unlucky not to get a cap. With the ball he is no worse than Keane or others who have had a chance. He is quite unlucky that Mings is starting to realise his high potential, and Gomes has come through because really I can't see any reason to pick Lascelles if those 4 are fit. To be honest there are probably better younger guys like Tomori etc too who have excelled at younger levels. I'll defend Southgate saying he wants leaders. Nothing wrong with that but they can't just excel in that I think would be the relevant point. You have to be good with the ball and even the most ardent Newcastle supporter would struggle to class Lascelles as having the same comfort with the ball as the likes of Stones, Mings, Maguire and Gomes.

Being brutal, barring injuries, Lascelles just isn't good enough to play for England in my opinion.

2. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I'm not sure Kane is the ideal striker for this young English side. The strength is the mobility and Kane doesn't move anywhere at times. I've often thought Rashford through the middle would be the ideal but for some strange reason for both Man U and England, he looks way better playing wide. I can't really knock Kane either because he is involved in a lot of goals. Obviously we normally cruise qualification though and you are typically playing quite a few weak sides. However even in the WC his record was good.

I'll openly say it though, I think Harry Kane is a bit overrated. I realise I'm probably largely on my own here! I'm not saying he is not a top striker or anything daft like that. I just don't think he is top top notch or ideally suited to our strengths.

Red Hadron Collider likes this.
  3. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

He wouldn't fit at Liverpool at all. Plus Milner is better at penalties <laugh>