1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

End of season Player Ratings

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Tash | All hail Almiron, May 20, 2024.

1. Tash | All hail Almiron

Tash | All hail Almiron Well-Known Member

Please try to remember that we shouldn't be judging players purely on our recent games that are fresh in our minds, there was a first half of the season which was quite different.

Manager -

Eddie Howe - 8. He may have his flaws and his substitutions at times have been awful. This season has been a learning experience for many involved. But he has done probably as good as you could have possible expected with a squad like ours. We had a champions league quality first team when everyone was fit, but outside our top 12-13 players we have championship quality depth. We had a terrible time around christmas, and many of our bigger players were getting injured or have become mentally fatigued and the likes of Tripper may have been finished off. 7th place is a perfectly healthy finish for a squad like this. Europa Conference league is a competition we have a good chance of winning, and also is not as demanding as the champions league.

Goalkeepers -

Pope - 7 - Cannot give him much more due to the amount of games he's missed, but he was our MOTM in many of our champions league games. Basically won us the game vs PSG away and saved us massively vs Milan away. Incredible reactions saves. Was great for most of the time he was here.

Dubravka - 6 - Inferior to pope but did a decent job while Pope was out. Cannot have too many complaints about how he tried and performed but of course we'd have conceded less goals with Pope.

Defenders -

Dan Burn - 5 - At times cost us many goals, but that was when he was still playing LB and completely exposed which wasn't his fault. Looks much better at CB. Has scored some massive goals and has had a massive task on his hands managing in a depleted defence with a lack of midfield cover. Our defence as a whole was exposed due to lack of defensive cover in midfield. You cannot single out one player from our defence to blame.

Sven Botman - 3 - Disappointing season. Has at times shown himself to be raw. Talented but sometimes not as good at reading the game as others. Still young though.

Fabian Schar - 6 - Crucial goals, passing and assists, our best defender throughout the season. Started almost every game. Cannot have many complaints. Has had his bad games but our entire back line has suffered this season due to so much injury and rotation to our defence and our midfield. His ability to spray balls about at the back is very valuable.

Trippier - 5 - Some people will disagree and think he deserves less due to his mistakes. But 1 goal and 10 assists despite missing a massive chunk of games and being mentally shot is still impressive. He got a similar number of assists to gordon despite being out so long. His mistakes make it so he cannot be rated higher than this, but he was still fantastic at the beginning of the season, and 11 attacking returns is up there with the rest of them despite his absence. I still think Trippier can make a comeback, I just think he's been mentally destroyed by personal issues and being overworked for his age. I was considering giving him a 6 but he just made far too many crucial erros which I suppose cancel out his attacking returns a bit.

Lascelles - 5 - I think hes improved under Eddie. A decent servant.

Livramento - 5 - Some fantastic games, but recently I've not been too impressed. He looks decent but I wouldn't be happy with him as our first choice. Earlier in the season he looked impressive but recently has just looked serviceable.

Hall - 6 - Hasn't played enough to rate higher, but I think he's been consistently good since he started playing. 2 cracking goals and his ability to win back the ball looks sensational. So long as he's fit, no one else should be playing LB.

Krafth - 5 - Decent cover when we needed him.

Midfield -

Bruno - 9 - If it wasn't for Gordon I'd give POTS to Bruno. At times I've been critical of him because sometimes he's been inconsistent, but 2nd half of the season he's been superb. 15 attacking returns as a deep lying midfielder is great. Last season he didn't provide many goals or assists, but this season he's been looking far more threatening and is looking closer to the 100m assessment. He's had his bad moments where we has lost possession in key areas, but his impact has been incredibly important and his ability to avoid his 10th yellow card for so long was incredible.

Joelinton - 6 - Has been superb at times this season, and we do miss him massively when he's gone, but of course he missed quite a lot of games when we needed him, so cannot rate him too much higher. Needs to work on not getting so many silly bookings though.

Willock - 2 - Never really impressed, injured so often. Shadow of his former self.

Longstaff - 5 - Maybe a tad harsh with the rating as he popped up with some goals, but his ability is still very limited. A decent servant.

Miley - 5 - Cannot fault his effort, but lacks the pace needed to be great in a team like this. Very raw talent, hope he gets better.

Anderson - 5 - Good on the ball, but not particularly impressive. Worked hard.

Forwards -

Isak - 8.5 - Crucial goals. Sensational 2nd half of the season. 27 games, 21 goals, and also created quite a few chances. A shame his fitness impacts him so often.

Wilson - 5.5 - Injury prone but was often useful at times during the season. Still had a good goals to games ratio.

Gordon - 9 - Despite not being too good away from home in terms of attacking returns, he arguably has the highest assist tally in the league if you considering winning pens assists. He was exactly what we needed this season after struggling last season to unlock defences.

Almiron - 5 - Worked hard, but cannot really rate him above 5.

Murphy - 5 - A bit more of an attacking threat than Almiron, but bang average.

Barnes - 5 - Some very important goals but not where near enough game time. Massive disappointment.

Last edited: May 20, 2024
  2. Tash | All hail Almiron

3. McGG

McGG cult leader

And I thought Tolkien was a long read

post of the year, and by that I mean the length of time it takes to read <laugh><laugh><laugh>

Judge Death and Obi Wan like this.
  4. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

You can't just mark players down cos they were injured, that's not their fault. Miley was excellent considering he played so often as a 17 year old, and Barnes and Anderson did well to.

You say Krafth was decent cover, which he was, but still only give him 5.

Kryptonite and haslam like this.
  5. Tash | All hail Almiron

You can mark them down as injured, because you can be class in 5 games but if you're injured for the rest you have objectively made less impact.

Barnes goals were very important but his injured problems have to impact his score because he's useless if he's not available.

Krafth was ok cover, but he wasn't great. 5/10 means you were alright, which krafth was. He deserves no more than 5.

6. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

No mention of Tonali,think he had as many appearances as Willock.

7. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace
    Forum Moderator

Well done Mick, Tash will have to do the whole thing all over again now.

8. FadgewackeR

FadgewackeR Well-Known Member

Stopped really taking much notice at Sven Botman - 3.

9. Charlie Dogscock

Nah, doesn't make sense, if you think they've been injured too much of the season, then just don't rate them.

Miley played 26 games this season and was superb for a 17 year old in his first season, a rating of 5 makes no sense.

10. Obi Wan

Forum Moderator

Agree.

I think Tash needs to completely revisit this and do 2 distinct versions:

1. Ranking each player's contribution over the course of the full season. So marked down for being injured / suspended etc.

Plus

2 The impact each player had when they did play. So if someone played just 2 games but with an average ranking of 10/10 then it still equals 10.

Get on it Tash.

Mick O'Toon likes this.

11. Charlie Dogscock

Considering the injuries, 7th and likely Europe is a very good season...so rating the majority of players 5/10 is ludicrous.

Last edited: May 20, 2024
    FadgewackeR and Obi Wan like this.
  12. Tash | All hail Almiron

This is primarily because some players that have made impact have missed many games.

The reality is a certain percentage of our squad has been carrying us.

Gordon, Isak and Bruno have carried our asses most of the season. Everyone else besides maybe Schar has missed far too much of the season or just been bang average.

I was considering giving Burn and Trippier a 6/10 but Trippier just made too many errors that cost us important games which conteract his atttacking returns.

Burn has been good at times but again cost us. Maybe I could give Burn a 6.

Miley may be a bit harsh, probably deserves a 6.

If all of you disagree then feel free to post your own ratings and justifications.

13. McGG

McGG cult leader

That’s like saying waddle and Keegan and Beardsley carried us in the 80’s. Once upon a time a team would have one superstar, now you get 11

14. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Hung Drawn and Quartered Well-Known Member

Something to help you make up your mind

stats.JPG

Obi Wan likes this.
  15. Obi Wan

Forum Moderator

Based.on that, my vote goes to Bruno GordonmaraeIsak.

16. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think that to come up with accurate ratings you should add up the ratings for each player for each of the matches that you rated and then divide them by the number of games that each played.

Can you do this before Wednesday as I would like to comment on it.

17. Obi Wan

Forum Moderator

<laugh><laugh>

McGG likes this.
  18. McGG

McGG cult leader

......and the council of Rome shall order newer testaments <laugh><laugh><laugh>

The Gospels according to St Tash, St GG, St Chaos and St Roly <whistle>

They will forever be known as the Wet Testaments

19. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I made up a more appropriate list for you to rate:

upload_2024-5-20_21-9-59.png

20. McGG

McGG cult leader

And here’s me calling Obi a prick for **** stirring on what’s app