1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

End of Season Awards

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Master Yoda, May 8, 2013.

1. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Well-Known Member

So, with the season coming to a close quite soon, and our season certainly effectively over, it's a good time to reflect.

Categories are as follows...
    BEST SIGNING
    WORST SIGNING
    BEST YOUNG PLAYER (U21)
    MOST DISAPPOINTING
    MOST IMPROVED
    PLAYER OF THE SEASON

Without further adieu...

BEST SIGNING
    Runner up: Daniel Sturridge
    Winner: Phillipe Coutinho
    please log in to view this image

This is a pretty obvious one - it was always going to be a January signing. Coutinho arrived for £8.5M and is currently looking a steal - adding goals, guile, vision and style to an already promising attack. At 20 years of age he's set to blaze a trail in the red shirt. A signing that hopefully heralds further successes from our 'transfer committee'. Honourable mention to Daniel - he's scored well since arriving, but is a little inconsistent. Nice choice to make.

WORST SIGNING
    Runner up: Nuri Sahin
    Winner: Assaidi

A contentious award; unfortunately there are several candidates. Whilst Fabio Borini endured a tough start to the season, scoring only once vs Gomel in the Europa league, he was unlucky. Injury has limited his chances to play in the team post-early season recovery. He showed a glimpse of his talents with an excellent improvised finish vs Newcastle some weeks ago. Joe Allen is another potential candidate - but not one I'd agree with. Firstly, his price tag was not his fault; rather it was his burden. Secondly, he was undoubtedly our standout player in August and September, whilst the rest of the team was drastically poor. He impressed fleetingly in an advanced role, but - perhaps due to his shoulder injury - struggled to maintain his early level of performance in Lucas' defensive role. There is more to come.

Nuri Sahin, quite simply, did not want to be here. He had the talent, but not the attitude. He would not play up the field - we needed every attack minded player we had to step up. 17 year old Raheem Sterling didn't mind playing up-front. Borini moved out wide without complaint. Sahin was a drain on the club, and left with a whimper - although to better things. Very disappointing.

Assaidi? Who? Disastrous spell at LFC which will surely end in July. Tricks but no real impact.

BEST YOUNG PLAYER (U21)
    Runner up: Andre Wisdom
    Winner: Raheem Sterling

First off, honourable mention to Suso, who stepped in pretty well when called upon, especially vs Norwich early on. Wisdom too entered into the first team picture with a bang, scoring on his first appearance for the club. Remarkably consistent for a teenager.

Can't really look past Raheem. The boy has speed; the boy has talent. That much we knew - this season he proved he had the determination, desire and work-rate to succeed. Took his two goals very well, and weighed in with six assists. Deservedly rested to avoid burnout and media intensity.

MOST DISAPPOINTING
    Runner up: Jonjo Shelvey
    Winner: Sebastian Coates

Jonjo hasn't really performed since September/October, and has shown that his promise is laced with danger - rash tackles, silly bookings - and most importantly, a poor touch. However, he did have some good games, mostly early on. The jury is certainly out, with Stoke apparently interested this summer.

Sebastian, on the other hand, has been consistent. Consistently awful.

MOST IMPROVED
    Runner up: Jose Enrique
    Winner: Jordan Henderson

Enrique collapsed last season under Kenny. Initially impressive, he became indecisive, lax and an occasional liability. This season, his game has picked up. He looks strong, decisive going forwards and has added the occasional goal or assist.

Jordan became one of football's favourite jokes last year. Quite simply, he's proving a lot of doubters wrong right now. Some fine finishes, passes and touches as he entered form following Christmas. If he keeps adding end product to his work-rate then he could become a very useful player.

PLAYER OF THE SEASON
    Runner up: Steven Gerrard
    Winner: Luis Suarez

Stevie improved steadily as the season progressed - from looking out of place to looking comfortable in a deeper role. His passing has been superb, his drive is still unquestionable. Has only missed around 20 minutes of game-time this season - a testament to the man and his determination. Scored and assisted well - 10 and 12 respectively. Honourable mention here to Carra, who has arisen in the fashion of Lazarus as his retirement inches closer.

Suarez - quite simply... magic. Even if it's black magic... it's magic.

Two bonus awards...

GOAL OF THE SEASON

[video=youtube;r65HJUVSoYc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65HJUVSoYc[/video]

HAIRCUT OF THE SEASON

Oooh. That's stylish. Lucky bastard.

Feel free to disagree :wink:

2. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

Coates consistently awful? He's started 1 league game all season, and he was solid in that game (against Man City).

BEST SIGNING - Coutinho
    WORST SIGNING - Sahin, good player but just didn't have the desire to make it work here, or so it seems
    BEST YOUNG PLAYER (U21) - Sterling
    MOST DISAPPOINTING - Martin Skrtel, lost the confidence and aggression he had last season, hopefully he gets it back in the summer but I suspect he'll be sold
    MOST IMPROVED - Jordan Henderson
    PLAYER OF THE SEASON - Luis Suarez

3. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

Coates consistently awful? He's started 1 league game all season, and he was solid in that game (against Man City).

BEST SIGNING - Coutinho
    WORST SIGNING - Sahin, good player but just didn't have the desire to make it work here, or so it seems
    BEST YOUNG PLAYER (U21) - Sterling
    MOST DISAPPOINTING - Martin Skrtel, lost the confidence and aggression he had last season, hopefully he gets it back in the summer but I suspect he'll be sold
    MOST IMPROVED - Jordan Henderson
    PLAYER OF THE SEASON - Luis Suarez

4. BEST SIGNING
    1) Coutinho
    2) Sturridge
    3) Rodgers (can't bring myself to pick any of the summer signings lol)

WORST SIGNING
    1) Assaidi (just not worked)
    2) Allen (harsh on the player since he started well and suffered a shoulder injury but the amount we paid for something I don't think we needed puts him here for me)
    3) Sahin (like Assaidi, just didn't work out)

BEST YOUNG PLAYER (U21)
    1) Coutinho (he's 20!)
    2) Andre Wisdom
    3) Sterling (started well but quickly fell away and was played far too much!)

MOST DISAPPOINTING
    1) Skrtel
    2) Kelly (not his fault, was hoping this would be his year but disappointing injuries have prevented it)
    3) Coates (few chances but looked lost at sea including against Stags)

MOST IMPROVED
    1) Henderson
    2) Gerrard (been disappointing for two seasons imo)
    3) Carragher (been disappointing for two seasons imo)

PLAYER OF THE SEASON
    1) Luis Suarez
    2) Gerrard (been superb all season)
    3) Coutinho (says a lot about the rest of the squad and the impact this player has made imo)

5. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Nice thread mate and I think you argued your points well.

For me:

BEST SIGNING:

1. Coutinho
    2. Sturridge

WORST SIGNING

1. Allen (may turn out good, but he's done next to nothing considering his outlay)
    2. Borini (again may turn out okay, but was very poor before he got injured. Expensive)

BEST YOUNG PLAYER (U21)

1. Sterling
    2. Wisdom

MOST DISAPPOINTING

1. Shelvey. Thought he may step up and did for a bit. Now doesn't look like he will cut it.
    2. Skrts. Far too many mistakes which have cost us. Brendan had given him enough chances

MOST IMPROVED

1. Enrique (was all over the place last half of last year. Now looks a real threat going forward and good at the back)
    2. Henderson - quickly developing into a good player. Good on him.

PLAYER OF THE SEASON

1. Has to be Suarez but I wish he could/would sort himself out.
    2. Gerrard

6. Enricky.

Enricky. Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can't believe Coutinho is only 20 <yikes>

7. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Well-Known Member

Cheers b4f. Uni revision is going well haha.

A lot of consensus so far.

8. Whole Lotta Lovren

Whole Lotta Lovren Active Member

Good thread <ok>

I agree entirely with the OP's choices, however I'd put Coutinho in as Best Young Player and Jonjo Shelvey as by the most disappointing player. I really expected him to step up this season and live up to the oft-bandied around tag of 'Stevie G's successor' but he's been really poor except a few games in Europe at the start of the season.

9. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

BEST SIGNING:

1. Coutinho - We've got a player who can score goals and get assists. Constantly unlocks defences and we've desperately lack his vision and creativity.
    2. Sturridge - Scores goals and is another 'focal' point which relieves pressure off of Luis.

WORST SIGNING

1. Allen
    2. Borini

For the money we spent on both, we've not received a lot.

BEST YOUNG PLAYER (U21)

1. Coutinho - only 20 years old and is a permanent fixture in the starting line up.
    2. Sterling - started very well but faded.

MOST DISAPPOINTING

1. Shelvey - Too good for the u21's but no where near read for first team action.
    2. Skrtel

MOST IMPROVED

1. Henderson - our midfield looks far more balanced with him. No coincidence that we lost our attacking momentum as soon as he came off against Everton.
    2. Enrique - regained his form (defensively). When he plays as a left winger, he is far more effective from an attacking perspective. However, when he's attacking as a left back, he's terrible. I think he feels more restricted as he has his 'Defender' hat on.

PLAYER OF THE SEASON

1. Luis Suarez
    2. Coutinho - only been here for a few months but our attack looks far more threatening with him in it.

GOAL OF THE SEASON

Luis Suarez against Newcastle. The best technical goal all season (as described by Gary Neville).

10. mighty_stevie_g

mighty_stevie_g Well-Known Member

BEST SIGNING - Coutinho
    WORST SIGNING - Assaidi
    BEST YOUNG PLAYER (U21) - Wisdom
    MOST DISAPPOINTING - Borini
    MOST IMPROVED - Henderson
    PLAYER OF THE SEASON - Suarez (I'm still ****ing angry with him though)

11. moreinjuredthanowen

its the worst signing i think everyone will contest.

sorry but at 11mil and unable to make contact with the ball or worse closing his eyes on headers borini is the very worst signing ever.... followed by sahin.

12. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

BEST SIGNING - Coutinho
    WORST SIGNING - Assaidi
    BEST YOUNG PLAYER (U21) - Coutinho
    MOST DISAPPOINTING - Downing
    MOST IMPROVED - Henderson
    PLAYER OF THE SEASON - Suarez

13. Did anyone else think that this thread was going to be the Not606 awards? Ie, biggest drama queen = Mr Gonzo

14. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Oi! You can't just give me the award. I have to earn it. <diva>

15. moreinjuredthanowen

drama queen!

16. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Thanks for your vote. <diva>

17. Bindiana

Bindiana Active Member

BEST SIGNING

1. Coutinho
    2. The fitness coach/ Doctor - Managed to get Agger, Gerrard and Johnson to play the majority of games this year.

WORST SIGNING

1. Allen its a hard call this one but Allen just pips it due to his transfer fee.
    2. Assaidi has shown glimpses of potential but obviously has not showed enough to push into the first team squad but at £3mil does not seem that much of a waste

BEST YOUNG PLAYER (U21)

1. Coutinho
    2. Wisdom was probably a bit more consistent then Sterling.

MOST DISAPPOINTING

1. Downing £20mil and still doesnt add anything to the team happy to give him a year to settle but still offers very little. His recent appearances have raised the level to almost acceptable but this was after he thought he was going to be sold!
    2 Sahin heard alot of good stuff about him from posters on here but for some reason it never worked out.

MOST IMPROVED
    1. Suarez This season he managed to find the back of the net instead of the woodwork and his antics were getting better until the the Ivanovic incident.
    2. Henderson think it could be another Lucas situation alot of fans turned on him last year without giving him much chance but has shown this year what he can do no way the finished article but is showing good signs.

PLAYER OF THE SEASON
    1. Suarez
    2. Gerrard did start of slow and looked a bit lazy in a few games early in the season but has improved massively as the season went on side note Johnson could of been in with a shout if not for in my opinion his poor couple of months.

Can I suggest a couple other categories like best performance of the season and worse performance of the seaon.

18. Bindiana

Bindiana Active Member

19. Bindiana

Bindiana Active Member

Think I have broke this thread :confused:

20. The artist JerryChristmas

The artist JerryChristmas "Massive old member"

Best signing: Coutinho

Worst signing: Joe Borini (couldn't decide which one's worse)

Best young player: (Coutinho apart) I'll say Wisdom as I think Sterling went off the boil too quickly once he had a contract in his pocket.

Most disappointing player: Can't say Downing because he's always been ****....most disappointing for me was Joe Borini (see above)

Most improved: Henderson without doubt.

Player of (most of) the season: Suarez.