1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Egg Chasing World Cup

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Canary Rob, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Now I know plenty of people have no interest in rugby, but I'm a big fan and I'm pre tty sure others on here have mentioned it.

After a scrappy and disappointing first match, albeit an ok performance from England, you wonder whether this tournament might be forever known as the TMO tourney.

But having just watched one of the most incredible matches ever, with Japan beating South Africa 34-32 (that's probably the biggest upset in rugby history, a bit like when Senegal beat France in 2002), the tournament has completely come to life. Absolutely fantastic to watch and Japan totally deserved their win

General Melchett, RobRoy and bixie like this.
  2. Tony_Munky_Canary

Tony_Munky_Canary Well-Known Member

Not a massive fan of rugby myself, but of course I'll be following the WC - particularly England - and whilst I only caught the final 15 minutes of the game earlier I completely agree, what an incredible result and that finale was unlike anything I've seen in a rugby game before, quite astonishing!

3. The Talking Donkey

The Talking Donkey Active Member

Also not a fan but interesting how many friends who are now speaking out against the TMO. I just hope it doesn't come to football other than for retrospective fouls and diving. Be careful what you wish for technonerds.

4. Canary Rob

It's a tricky one. Video refereeing in rugby has obviously been around for years and has been fantastic, a real success. It's definitely the right thing for the sport.

The trouble is, they've suddenly increased the scope - the TMO can go back two phases to check things and basically is much more independent than they used to be. That's led to some referees overusing it, like in the England match. The touch judges too - they are using it as a safety net for their decisions, rather than to spot something they haven't seen (which IMO is how it should be used). So yesterday, one of the touch judges wasted a couple of minutes getting the TMO to look at a head roll that he'd already seen and flagged for a penalty. Back yourself! It shouldn't be a reserve option.

So I'm in favour of the TMO even in football, there's too much money at stake. But it has to have a very narrow scope, with the ref getting to make decisions he's seen.

5. Big Russ5

Big Russ5 Member

They seem to have cut down on it a bit since the first game but I think for the bigger games it will be back in force! Gutted I missed most of the Japan - South Africa game yesterday!!

6. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I work with a South African who is a big rugby fan. Tomorrow is going to be fun.

Canary Rob likes this.
  7. yarco canary

yarco canary Well-Known Member

Bump.
    Seems very little interest in World Cup on here.

Really big game on Saturday against Aussie.
    Lots of injuries to both teams.
    Winner takes all in my book.

Canary Rob likes this.
  8. Canary Rob

It would make it really interesting if we beat Australia and then Aus beat Wales. Our bonus points might edge it.

9. yarco canary

yarco canary Well-Known Member

Bonus points do add another dimension to the outcome,
    and could play a big part in who qualifies to the quarters.

Could bonus points work in football?

This is how it works in rugby
    4 points for a win. 2 points for a draw. 1 "bonus" point for scoring 4 tries (or more). 1 "bonus" point for losing by 7 points (or less).

Cornish Canary likes this.
  10. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how you could make them work in terms of points and league position but for each game a team doesn't score, Money back could be offered in escalating percentages to encourage attacking football.

Game 1 - No goals - Fan refund 15%
    Game 2 - Still no goals - Fan refund 30%
    3 " " " 45%
    etc

If they haven't scored after 7 games, maybe they should be paying the fans to turn up!

Bah!

p.s. I'm a big fan of Egg chasing and I was really enjoying the whole WC until the Welsh weewee'd on our parade, her indoors is welsh so it was bad schizen!

11. Big Russ5

Big Russ5 Member

It's a massive game, still think we have a chance! But will be a huge game.

12. General Melchett

We do seem to have a knack of beating the convicts so I will be positive till I at least see the teams. If JJ doesn't make it, I may become a little more pessimistic! Kind of wishing that Dylan and Manu could behave themselves as we would be a hell of a lot stronger for their inclusion.

Bah!

13. zogean_king

zogean_king Well-Known Member

I really hope we beat the Aussies... if not I might be ill at work the next couple of days until they have forgotten

14. Big Russ5

Big Russ5 Member

JJ replaces Burgess and Ben Youngs is fit to start so some good news there!

General Melchett likes this.
  15. THURNBY YELLOW

THURNBY YELLOW Well-Known Member

If we go out tonight it will leave a fairly hollow tournament. I think that the intention to go for the try last weekend was in many ways an expression of confidence but will the team rue it come 10 0'clock tonight? I somehow think Aussie will do us over and that will be that.

16. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

Whilst not the best result, i still think it was the right choice, it wasn't an easy kick, the execution of the linnet was poor but even if all they got was a penalty further in then it would have been a success. Right choice wrong execution.

17. General Melchett

Oh dear, wasn't that the most whimpery of surrenders! Tough calls ahead for the RFU. Do you stick or twist? I'd twist, I wasn't there in the training camp or subsequently around the squad, but a number of the selections were baffling. I can't believe that that England pack was the best that could have been selected. If you are going to gamble on Morgan and Launchbury after long injuries, why not Corbisiero? Surely one of very few world class England players when on his game. I agreed with the selection policy on foreign based players and Hartley for ill discipline, but surely we could do better than that lot after so many weeks together?

Bah!

18. Norfolkbhoy

Norfolkbhoy Well-Known Member

I think that part of the problem is the fact that once again we hamstring ourselves by not picking players who play in France. Logically you'd think that French teams would only go for the better English players and so by imposing this rules we are almost certainly guaranteeing that a number of our better players are taken from the team.

Look at the other nations - Wales play Halfpenny and the Aussies Giteau yet we deny ourselves access to the current European player of the year plus the holder last year. Madness. Two top quality players in the form of their lives and surplus to requirements for England and then people are shocked when we bomb out early.

I understand why the selectors decided to go down this route but with the 20/20 clarity of hindsight it seems to be an error. I think that the selectors were trying to modify player behaviour to prevent them playing overseas but they have relatively short careers that can be ended immediately by a serious injury and there is no way that modern professional players will compromise on their career choices to kow-tow to the RFU.on the off-chance they will be selected for England.

19. Big Russ5

Big Russ5 Member

I agree with you, it is a annoying decision. I think they have already said they will not change their stance on the issue. Australia only changed their policy in the last year but I think that was more to do with their new coach than anything else.

20. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

Well, I'm rooting for France now.