1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

EFL ticket/gate prices 1981

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Draig, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Found this online and thought people would like to reminisce/moan/gasp at the ticket prices across the English leagues in 1981.
    FB_IMG_1654085844990.jpg

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  2. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

yep, saw it earlier, first thought in my head was 'wonder how that price would compare to 2022'

£60 for a season ticket then, my weeks wages would cover it with a couple of good nights on the drink to spare.

...and leeds was cheaper than some div 4 clubs!!

3. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Sunderland and Boro in div 1, Mags in div 2 along with Wrexham

Interesting to see not that much difference for match day prices between divisions

Makemstine Roger and samwise_new like this.
  4. Septem

Septem Active Member

I'm sure I paid 40 odd pence into Roker End about 1976. Boys enclosure.

5. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

I wonder how many kids got in free, squeezed in the turnstile with their dad so the club never missed out on admitting a full price adult!

6. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I always got in free, my cousin Ronnie was on the big doors <laugh>

Makemstine Roger and Draig like this.
  7. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Some things have actually got cheaper, we were on about tv's at work the other week.

I remember paying about £700 for a 21" tv and VHS recorder around the mid eighties. :eek:
    I bought them from Dixon's or Currie's. They took me name and address. I thought nothing of it

Me dad used to buy his tellies from a repair bloke and just pay for a black and white licence.
    He was fookin livid when he got a letter through to get colour. :eek::D<laugh><laugh>

8. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

Kids would laugh if you told them a Sony betamax video recorder price was the same as a 2nd hand car and tellies wieghed half a ton ! But it was wonderful got ours early 1982 alien the first film but grainy picture, due to being a rental they reckon Bob monkhouse had the first had over 50000 vids

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    Makemstine Roger and Nig like this.
  9. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

I remember getting a stereo 'widescreen' crt telly, must have been around 1996. Delivery was going to cost £35 so I did what any self-respecting bloke would have done and said, 'Nah, I'll just take it with me.'

So two blokes from Curry's on a retail park loaded it into the back of the car for me so I didn't have any idea of it's weight so when I came to lift it out on the drive I nearly broke my back!

Then I was hit by a wave of pride and machismo that only a bloke if full view of their wife and all the neighbours would have or give in to.

Yes got the idea fixed in my head that I had to do this all on my own.

Back then I must have weighed 11 stone who was a wimpy lab/white collar worker (no real gym culture back then) and this monster telly must have weighed six stone - plus being in a huge box.

All I could come up with was to do a sort of crouch, wedge the box in against my thighs and pull the box in against my body and do a shuffle down the drive.

Thinking back this gave me a sort of 'hovering over a rammy public toilet seat' stance and the gait of a toddler who has just filled their nappy.

It probably looked hilarious, but to me, at that exact moment, it was as necessary as breathing!

God, I love flat screen tellys!

Oldsandy and Makemstine Roger like this.
  10. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

When Sony were designing the Betamax they didn't have any consumer focus group to bounce ideas like how big the video player and its casettes should be so some arse-licking salary man came up with the idea that the cassette should be the same size as Sony's company handbook.

That meant the casette was a good deal smaller than the VHS and V2000 casettes, so could never compete on recording length and is what ultimately doomed the technologically superior Betamax in the consumer market.

11. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

A few of us used to skip school after dinner back around 1981/2.

One of the lads lived with his nan and she had a video recorder.
    We'd rent a film, Quadrophenia, the Wanderers, etc.
    We'd pile into the front room, shut the thick blackout curtains, lights out and mini cinema time.

Hearing a strange noise the host turned the light on mid movie one day.
    He'd had his suspicions.
    There was one of the lads pinching boiled sweets from a bowl.
    We all fell about laughing as his nan had false teeth and she used to suck on the sweets for a while then twist the wrapper back on and back in the bowl <laugh>

12. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Whacking school to watch films?! Well I never!

When I came home for lunch I sometimes I used to whack it afterwards to watch the end of Crown Court :emoticon-0111-blush or Rumpole. Usually when I had double Welsh and double English.

13. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

I used to open the cassette tape up and add a full tape by joining them together using sellotape to make 8 hour long play or 4 hour short play videos !