1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

EFL & Premier League Managers 2023-24

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by philhythe, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

For the first time in a long time, I’m hoping to wake up and see Wycombe on this list.

mowgli1960 likes this.
  2. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club mate. :emoticon-0148-yes:

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So who would you be happy with. Can't imagine Martin O'Neil coming to the rescue and I doubt RC will be forking out for an experienced manager

I really think that we have a bigger problem awaiting us. I think we only have a couple of players contracted beyond this season. The others are either loaned, who won't be too concerned about our situation, or players we would want to keep but who are unlikely to stay with a sinking ship, or players who aren't good enough to be much use if we do manage to stay up. Then we are left with an owner who will not be too keen on losing any more money and could be looking to sell up. Then, of course, who would want to buy a club with the gates we are getting; a sure money loser. So what team could we end up with that could hold its own in L2, never mind L1.

4. mowgli1960

Never thought i'd say this but Ainsworth and Dobbo could save our season as i don't want us playing the likes of Crawley,Harrogate and Salford next season. I was p*ssed off with a lot of things Ainsworth did but you don't know what you're missing until you lose it. Let's be fair if Bloomfield doesn't get sacked or resigns we're f*cked. <doh><doh><doh>

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The starting line up had lose written all over it. Either we have a lot of injuries (where the **** is Potts) or Blooms is putting the wrong players out which, in itself, could de-motivate some players

6. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Neither did I <laugh>

We don't know what the exchanges were between RC and GA before he left. If it wasn't amicable then there is no way we will see GA back

7. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

I have heard on the grape vine that Ainsworth isn't too bothered about another managers job he has his music to fall back on. Like all managers he was ambitious to manage at a higher level he has managed two teams in the Championship we went down (I know we got shafted) & sacked from QPR the only real chance of managing now is lower half of League 1 or League 2. Also the thing is nobody outside of the club has any real idea how much Richard Dobson was the name that did all the tatics & training. Another way of looking at it Ainsworth had a good playing career of close on twenty years, he managed us for 10years, QPR for 18 months all the time getting reasonably well paid. Where as Richard Dobson has almost certainly never earned anything like what Ainsworth earned even at Wycombe. If the rumour is true that Dobbo didn't want to leave Wycombe, get him back in some capacity.

Guywanderer likes this.
  8. Cardiff-Wycombe

Cardiff-Wycombe Well-Known Member

There seem to be a few out there, not sure how likely we are to get any of them, Paul Tisdale always seemed alright to me, Nathan Jones might be looking at another project, Keith Hill has experience. Even give Dobbo a go. This slump will see us down if things don’t change.

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Paul Tisdale and Keith Hill CVs don't look very encouraging. Nathan Jones was sacked by Southampton but that is a Premier team. Otherwise he seems to have a good record of pulling a team from the brink of relegation and for getting team(s) promoted. He is the only one of those 3 who I'd be OK with

I believe a key factor is to have a manager who is a strong character, commands respect, tactfully astute, willing to get his hands dirty on the training ground and able to motivate, complemented by a coach who gets on very well with the manager

I predicted fairly early that GA would not succeed at QPR because he fell short in one of those key areas, respect, which made it almost impossible to motivate. He couldn't get the respect because the team was full of prima donnas who thought they were too good to be managed by a L1 manager. Also not all players will be driven by a manager regarded by many as a scruffy individual who encourages "hoof ball" and time wasting antics, neither of which I agree with. He encouraged direct football which is very effective against all these possession obsessed tap dancers and some of those accusing of time wasting would do well to remember the "glass houses" idiom

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  10. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What we really need is some Sheik to buy us and recruit José Mourinho as manager on a 3 year contract and then recruit Potts on a 5 year contract. That would get us into the Premier
    please log in to view this image

11. philhythe

Even though I haven't seen Potts play live I think he has been a massive miss

Ron likes this.
  12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree re the West Ham player. In my jest post above for manager I was referring to the one who did so well managing Brighton

13. mowgli1960

I would be more than happy if Dobbo would be our next manager.

14. mowgli1960

Lee Johnson has been sacked by Fleetwood. No 39.

15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That's the 4th club to sack him. Maybe he should try a non league club and try to get a plus on his CV

16. philhythe

As long as he doesn't turn up at Wycombe

17. philhythe

With Fleetwood sacking their manager which will be the third this season, if the usual happens with that many manager changes there are now 3 places going for relegation

18. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

I believe the Cowley brothers have been watching us over the Christmas games

19. philhythe

I hear that Keith Scott has put out, that Cowley brothers have been spotted at the last three Wycombe games

Guywanderer likes this.
  20. philhythe

You beat me to it Guy, my Grandson decided he wanted to go to football just before Christmas, I said I would take him over Christmas, we are off to Adams Park to possibly Blooms last game, even though my Grandson has never seen us lose at home, I don't hold out much hope my last two visits was the 4-0 stuffing by Cheltenham last season & the 3-0 stuffing by Exeter in the first game this season. If the team play like that today I think that will be that..

Cardiff-Wycombe and Guywanderer like this.
  21. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

We are going to have to have a whip round so you and your grandson can go to all the home games <cheers>

Ron likes this.