1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread EFL Group C Chairboys v Pirates 29th Aug 17

Discussion in 'Wycombe' started by Guywanderer, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Blue_Slasher

Blue_Slasher Active Member

What a weird feeling leaving the game last night.
    We actually played more football than I have ever seen us play in the Ainsworth era.
    Everything was played out from the back and then passed through the midfield. We outplayed Rovers in the first half with some lovely passing and got the ball down the wings on countless occasions. Our crime was to miss some fantastic chances and also some shambolic defending / keeping
    Second half, we still tried to play the ball and even had it in the net, but for the offside flag. However, everytime Rovers had a break away, we looked vulnerable. Brown had a shocker for a couple of the goals. The one in the second half from a long range shot where he looked like he had reached it, for it only to be palmed in to the net (looked awful from where I was stood). I might be proved wrong if I see the replay, but I was certain it was one of those that keepers make look spectacular when they dive, but actually are a comfortable save. Brown dived and the rest is history!
    Southwell missed an absolute sitter. Played well and scored the first, but for all his efforts is not up to it in front of goal at this level.
    Our best player was probably Dom Gape. He grasped the ball in midfield and often did a Saunders-esq role passing it around. I have never seen us put so many passes together in a match and the football at times was a joy to watch.

All in all a weird feeling leaving the ground last night. Some great football at times, but some serious problems at the back

Guywanderer likes this.
  2. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Totally agree mate it was like watching Brazil we played some great stuff maybe trying out plan B but we need to get plan A sorted stop our defence leaking like a sieve we are desperate for a keeper before the window shuts tomorrow

3. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well that's good news. Sounds like we missed Bayo who maybe would have put in a couple to change the game. Also sounds like we didn't have enough/any players getting back to defend as a unit.

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Pity we let Alex go. I know he was a bit on the small side for a GK but when I saw him he played with a lot of confidence. The only time I thought maybe we would have done better with Ingram in goal was during the penalty shoot out against Southend. How much were Cheltenham going to pay for Brown?

5. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

Sky sports breaking news ARSENAL sign wycombe goalkeeper brown for £50 million. .....

now that would make my day <laugh>

6. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

Never mind the result the most important thing is did any of our players get injured? From what i've been reading a loan keeper has to happen before tomorrow.

7. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>

8. Rocky blue army

I agree on the injury front and a definite on the signing of a goalkeeper

9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

How many hours left for signing a GK?

PS
    OK clock ticking here

Midnight (UK time) on 31st August

10. Blue_Slasher

No injuries from what I could see.
    It makes you realise what a safe pair of hands we had in Blackman. I know he made a couple of rickets, but he was by far and away a class above Brown.
    I think things will improve when Stewart gets up to speed. He came on last night for a short while, but not only does he need matches, he also needs time to gel with El Abd.
    Is there any footage of the goals from last night anywhere?
    I am wondering if it is just me being harsh on Brown or whether he is truly woeful

11. Blue_Slasher

Problem with putting Bayo on would have been that we would have resorted to the route one football we have all been bemoaning.
    We actually needed a fox in the box last night as the new lad from Charlton did well in the holding roll up front

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe but it isn't necessary. If they play football, with Bayo, it could be interesting.

13. mowgli1960

mowgli1960 Well-Known Member

FFS i've just seen the goals <doh> Why did i put myself through that? <yikes> Jombati had a bloody mare at fault for the 1st,2nd and 4th goals.

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't think I'll bother <laugh>

15. Guywanderer

Guywanderer Well-Known Member

Having watched the game and now the low-lights I don't expect Sid to get any more games in the middle of the defence unless we have a injury crises the young left back Williams has a steep learning curve in defending and lets hope a keeper come in today as Brown doesn't command his area just flaps his hands around

16. philhythe

philhythe Well-Known Member

Having finally plucked up the will to watch the game Sid is no defender

Guywanderer likes this.
  17. Rocky blue army

I watched it the other day and the defending was pure schoolboy stuff...and as for the goalkeeper I think that hideous shirt he wears blinds him from seeing the ball <doh>

Guywanderer likes this.