1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Effect of Brexit

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Davylad, Mar 26, 2016.

1. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

They are experts at losing things BB. They have lost half a trillion in money, they are on the verge of losing Scotland. Last time they were in office they 'lost' most of Britain's industry and even managed to lose about a million people on the census reports, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise.

2. colognehornet

I think it all needs to be a bit more 'precise'. What are the 'important' things in life ? Maybe you could come up with things like environment, family, love, friendship etc. etc. Perhaps Yorkie can add to that list. Of course it is possible to have financial success and also have the others. However the ideology behind the acquisition of money as being good in itself is married to an ideology of individualism which has no basis in nature. No man is an island - you need someone else to clothe you, someone else to grow your food, someone else to build your car, someone else to make the laws which protect you etc. etc. And you need a community around you. Similarly you need an environment around you which is healthy. Can a person have a high standard of living (whatever the size of his house, car or bank account) if the air he breathes on the streets is not of the same quality ? Can anyone in London really have a high standard of living ? Maybe we should redefine what we mean by 'living standards'.

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Lost their Commons majority.
    Lost the support of the country for Brexit.
    Lost the ability to be straight with the public by hiding 50 reports.
    Lost the support of half the government ministers.
    Lost the support of many of their own MPs.
    Lost the ability to deal with the huge number of amendments to their legislation.

Simply put they have lost the plot.

4. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

5. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Thank you Cologne. Yes you have hopefully clarified what I mean.

Furthermore I believe no one can be truly happy if their neighbour is suffering. The world needs to be a better place for all of us.

My problem with capitalism is you make a profit.. out of someone else's loss.

I have no problem about success and success benefiting others through taxation and so on... and I have had a very successful life in so many ways and have been happy to pay what are my dues.

So the notion of the UK profiting or seeking a way to wheel and deal at the expense of others does not sit well with me..

Toby likes this.
  6. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Hornet-Fez and Toby like this.
  7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Ever watched the doubles playing tennis and making sure that they cannot have lip readers knowing what the next serve will be?

8. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Merkel and Macron are both saying 'we never thought we would be less popular than you, bloody public'

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

"We have got something on Boris if you really want to get rid of him."

10. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

What could they have that the British press don't?

11. Bolton's Boots

The British press probably do have it, but their owners being Tory supporters/donors, they refuse to print it. And the BBC will have been told not to broadcast it...

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Theresa May has admitted for the first time that Brexit negotiations have hit “difficulty” as she beseeched European leaders to give her a deal she can sell to the British people.

Please tell me what to do as I haven't a clue seems to be the message. In trouble in Westminster, in trouble in Brussels. Even the support for Brexit has disappeared from the public. Just how long can she stumble on for?

13. Bolton's Boots

May mulling over what to offer the EU...

mays answer.JPG

I think the Scots will have something to say about that. :)

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

My son-in-law has been head hunted. He was working for an American company in England until they pulled out of the UK and moved to Belgium. As the medicines agency is moving out of the UK his company closed the London office, and relocated some of the employees to Brussels, including him. Now the American company is putting loads of investment into Belgium, but is also moving out the non-medicines operations from the UK, finishing their considerable presence in the country, all due to Brexit.
    My son-in-law has gained by improving his French and German, while picking up some Dutch. Now he has been sought and will join a Swiss company at the start of 2018. He is a very capable consultant in the world of medicine, lost to the UK, but happily employed by countries in Europe.
    It seems so sad to me that talent is being lost to the UK because of so much ill informed nonsense from the loonies on the extreme right wing in the country. Would I choose between an intelligent consultant, or a failed politician such as Farage or Fox? No real contest I would suggest.

15. superhorns

You should support your son-in law a bit more, not many people are as successful as Farage or Fox.

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

My son-in- law requires little support thank you, he is very successful in his chosen profession. Of course you could remind me how many times Farage has stood for parliament without success, and maybe you would like to give details on why Fox was sacked and disgraced.

17. superhorns

Farage is the most influential UK politician in the last 20 years, and the most successful, without him there would be no Brexit so we would be stuck with the failing EU. Fox is an influential cabinet minister and will no doubt earn 20 times what your son in law will ever see.

It is extremely obvious which most people with any sense would choose.

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

How many times has Farage stood in a parliamentary election and been rejected? Why was Fox sacked and disgraced were the questions. Time to get a grip SH.

19. colognehornet

How the hell can you judge what other people may, or may not, earn in the future, and since when was that the main criterion for success anyway ?

20. superhorns

To compare your son in law to two distinguished successful politicians is really rather silly. I'm sure he is a nice lad but your comparison is daft.
    No other politician has affected UK politics as much as Farage since at least Thatcher. His one aim was to secure Brexit which he duly succeeded at. You can put your head in the sand all you like but you will not change history.