1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Edinburgh : Hidden bits n bobs

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Hoop-Leif, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

Off to Edinburgh soon for a few days, never been before.

Obviously know about the obvious sights..... But wondering if anyone knows of any hidden treasures, cracking pubs, fabulous eating spots etc

Any recommendations?

Cheersaroonie :emoticon-0148-yes:

2. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

One of the original brew dog bars is under the castle walls....
    Ghost tour good for a laugh.
    Small old pub on the mile...has Celtic music every night...Sorry can't remember it's name...but just walk past it at 10 and you will find it

Hoop-Leif and UTRs like this.
  3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

The Forage and Chatter Restaurant is rather good. All the old style boozers I used to drink in have shut down.

Hoop-Leif likes this.
  4. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

My favourite bar is WhistleBinkies, just off the Royal Mile - small door off of South Bridge, or main entrance on Niddry Street. It's got live music til 3am every day - can get a bit busy, but you should be ok this time of year. The other bars on the Royal Mile are ok, in general the further away from the castle the more authentic the atmosphere. Unfortunately, as Stan mentioned, all the real pubs have been closed down - even the Volunteer Arms immortlised by Irvine Welsh!

Steer clear of the Grassmarket, it's become very tacky and is full of hen and stag parties (don't think there's any rugby on this weekend, as that's also where the egg-chasers normally end up). If you do end up there, the Beehive is probably the better of a bad bunch.

Plenty of boozers up on Rose Street too, just behind all the shops on Princes Street - leave the women to browse whilst you have a drink! There's an excellent Tapas restaurant El Paso Tapas Bar on Dundas Street not far from there.

Go to the Camera Obscura up by the castle - I loved it. It's like a funky art gallery, a world of illusions which is good for a laugh, especially if you've had a couple of drinks - the turning tunnel is a hoot....The Whiskey Museum is on the other side of the street and is worth a look, although it's always busy (I was lucky enough to be working in there a couple of times, so have had the free tour!!)

There's plenty of ghost tours, some better than others so be a bit choosey - they do offer warnings for some of them, and they are the better laugh (or scare, depending on your outlook). The dungeon is good too, underneath Waverley Station.

Been hearing a couple of good reviews about an "Escape Room" near Holyrood - Can You Escape? Think you may need to book though.....

Dynamic Earth is good too! And take the open-topped bus - it always pisses down in Edinburgh, so why they have no tops I'll never know! Pack warm gear too, as the wind will cut you in half at this time of year!

Enjoy, I love going through there for a weekend, but it's a **** of a city to work in......

Hoop-Leif likes this.
  5. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

My daughter got married at the castle & that would be good tour, pubs stacks of them on the mad mile.

6. Hoop-Leif

Thanks everyone

7. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I've just remembered that Shefford posted on the review thread back in June. I'm sure he would've contributed to your thread Hoop Leif but he hasn't been on here since you put this up. Anyway here's what he said ...

Kylo Restaurant at the Rutland Hotel in Edinburgh.

Try the steak tartare to start or, for the more adventurous, the oysters which come in several different guises. The restaurant is famous for its steaks and I like mine done blue. The fillet is to die for and melts in the mouth. If you have room for dessert (I have never required one after eating here) the menu is extensive. Great food, great drink, great decor, great atmosphere. If you are ever in Edinburgh, give it a try.

https://www.not606.com/threads/the-review-thread.348604/ post #17

http://www.therutlandhotel.com/eating-and-drinking/

I have not been there myself, so I can't give any personal insight on the city. I would like to visit Edinburgh at some point though.

Hoop-Leif likes this.
  8. Hoop-Leif

Cheers 9's......already booked into Kylo for one evening :)

QPR999 likes this.
  9. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Excellent, I hope you have a great time up there H-Leif.

Hoop-Leif likes this.
  10. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I'm off to Amsterdam in a few hours. Has anyone done the Heineken tour and can recommend or not? Might want a break from the *usual* Amsterdam stuff at some point.

11. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Not done that. But if you get hungry at any stage head to an Indonesian restaurant (lots of them) and have the ‘rice table’ best if you have 4 or more people.

12. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Did it about 15 years ago, may have changed but it was interesting however it's still excuse for the **** beer