1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Eddie Howe: We wish Wilshere all the best but no thanks.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Citizen Kane, May 12, 2017.

1. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

I understand you don't rate Jack but lumping him in the same bracket as Bentdner is mean, even by your standards! I'd be offended by that comparison ffs.

2. BobbyD

BobbyD President

To be fair its not far off. When a relegation/mid table club like bournemouth who are meant to be suiting wilshires style of play to a T don't want him and don't start him (he got dropped from the side), it's a sad indictment of where he is as a player.

3. PeterRICK

I'm not disagreeing with you re where he is now as a player, I was merely saying I thought he had huge potential before being blighted by injuries.

I thought the majority of Arsenal fans were really enthusiastic about his prospects back in the day but apparently not.

4. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I think Cini has rightly pointed out you could have said the same for Bendtner and Vela and co who were ripping it up and showed that huge potential too....

Wilshire has only got away with it that long because:

1. He's english and was hyped up by the media

2. He's gobby and arsenal

3. He's been injured and somehow players always seem to improve their reputation when they are injured with ready made excuses and if their existing club is failing

5. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Diaby was the best example of keeping a player for far too long. Great talent and i liked him very much, but it was clear as day that he was never going to get over his injuries. Wenger's reluctance of clearing the decks in the past has denied us 1 or 2 PL titles.

6. PeterRICK

No. His initial point was that Wilshere "was never that good". I said I thought he was and had potential. You seem to be agreeing with me. I'm in no way disagreeing that he should be let go or even that he's a gobsh*te. Find it amusing how he's gone from being a real hope for the future to nobody rating him in his early days. You two are far from alone in this. Maybe I'm wrong, as I seem to be in the minority with my opinion.

7. PeterRICK

Still f*cked now bless him. Thought some witchcraft was being employed when he lasted 4 games in a row in France but I see the status quo has resumed.

lazarus20000 likes this.
  8. 667 - The Neighbour of the Beast

I think you are right. My recollection is that most Arsenal fans were excited by Wilshere's talent and potential, and I certainly recall him being feted as having a glorious career ahead of him at the spearhead of a Brave New England era. Alas! That too has been ruined by injury.

It's almost as if some fans blame Wilshere for the injuries he's suffered!

9. BobbyD

BobbyD President

My response was to the comparing Wilshire to Bendtner is an insult when actually they were both highly rated youngster who showed great potential and both look to be ending up on the scrap heap.

As for being rubbish, obviously to get to the level these guys have they aren't rubbish but in relation to Premier league and higher levels of the PL, they are pretty crap.

I've never thought Wilshire was that good and it was all hype. Any player who is less than 20 and shows a modicum of talent and has a great/okay game or 2 is suddenly given the great english hope title when really they haven't achieved anything or done it consistently over a period which is what separates the truly decent players to the solid ones.

Wilshire was always the latter and he's probably as good as he was when he first joined the team. It's just now he's not surrounded by the better players Wenger had at the time and the teams that are not so good are able to afford better players.

10. 667 - The Neighbour of the Beast

I agree that a lot of unnecessary and indeed harmful pressure is placed on young English players by our ill-informed media and I do not doubt that Wilshere fell victim to that.

Last edited: May 17, 2017

11. PeterRICK

My response was to the comparing Wilshire to Bendtner is an insult
    It was a joke and I was comparing myself to Bendtner.

I've never thought Wilshire was that good and it was all hype Well done. Be a football scout.

Wilshire was always the latter and he's probably as good as he was when he first joined the team He's not. He's worse.

Aside from that I agree with you.

12. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Disagree. Back then lots of us had high hopes for him so we praised every little good thing he did in the blind hope he'd turn into another Fabregas. But he didn't actually do anymore good things back then than he sometimes does now... apart from score one carling cup goal against Sheffield United. Good on yer Jack. #worldie

danishqp likes this.
  13. PeterRICK

You praised an Arsenal player? F*ck. Off.

14. 667 - The Neighbour of the Beast

If Liverpool screw this up imagine how hilarious the Jimmy Liddel videos will be!
    <laugh>

15. lazarus20000

It will have a really bad effect on your fans and your players. I like Klopp and hope he does well, so if anyone gives us CL football i hope City does.

16. 667 - The Neighbour of the Beast

I don't support Liverpool or City.

17. lazarus20000

Ah ok, thought you was a Liverpool supporter as you've been mentioning them a lot.

18. 667 - The Neighbour of the Beast

<laugh>
    No chance!

I like the club, but I am not too keen on their hardcore supporters.

My main club is Enfield Town (which is where I have lived all my life) but I have also supported Arsenal since I was a lad.

19. lazarus20000

Yeah i agree, their "This year is our year" supporters can be a little annoying.

20. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Supporters of EVERY club should start each season with
    "This year is our year" as their mantra. And continue right up
    to the moment it actually isn't.

pieguts and lazarus20000 like this.