1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Driverless Cars

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

2. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

I know what all men are guna do with all this spare time.
    Reports of danger ****s will be going up tenfold.

J. J. McClure likes this.
  3. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Bearing in mind machines/computers break down every second imagine the catastrophe of one of these breaking.

4. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

If everyone drove as perfectly as moi, there would be no need for driverless cars <no crashes, no points> :laugh:

Actually, no points! What will the British government do about the fall in revenue from the drop in speeding fines?

5. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Get a job closer to home.

Suspect that these will actually be used more for shifting goods. Set one lane aside on motorway and just have a continuous stream of lorries going down it.

Could be able to set a new cans record while travelling to match on your own (as long as you can programme to stop for a piss every few miles).

Obi Wan and J. J. McClure like this.
  6. Tol3

Tol3 Active Member

My company just had an event with tesla talking about this. I think it's really interesting to see who ends up being the first to corner the market for this. It could really be a case of electric vehicles being a major use for large companies and an automated process. Should have a good impact on emissions. It also could allow other manufacturers to prosper by looking at a different type of business. Not sure how it's going to shake out, but will be interesting.

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  7. KazakhToon

KazakhToon Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a driverless-only scheme piloted in a couple of smaller cities (York or Cambridge for instance). It could work really well if everyone had access to a car when they needed it, but didn't have to park up anywhere. You could have a couple of thousand driverless cars parking themselves in 2 or 3 multistorey service/charging and valet centres when they weren't needed. Suddenly the streets have twice as much room, you could have usable cycle lanes instead of the current gutter+70cm that you see right now, and since it's available to everyone, it makes it easier for people with not much money or elderly people to get where they want to go.

Seabass likes this.
  8. Blacker-than-Knight

I think this is a terrible idea, accidents will not stop but even more worrying is the mindless march to letting someone or some corporate/government body take control of our lives and regulate all aspects of it, I also can't wait for the cyber-terrorist who hacks the system and causes mass crashes.

anyobrien and Marra SAFC 77 like this.
  9. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Good point. Taxi companies won’t be happy.

10. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

I've just patented varifocal windscreens, that should sort the blind f@ckers out.

11. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

The end starts here, mark my words.

1. Sky will buy the rights to the first batch.

2. They will control them via the internet.

3. A sub-brand 'SkyNet' will be launched.

4. Machines will take over the world.

5. Terminators will kill all the the humans.

6. We will sell all our best players and be relegated.

You heard it here first (well, maybe not the last bit. mrt predicted that, he just didn't know the full back story, but he did know that Sky were to blame somehow ).

12. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

You do wonder if it's going that way with artificial intelligence.

13. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

Doc Emmett Brown has been to the future tho, and if his closing line in BTTF 1 is to be believed we do not need "roads" in the future. If this turns out not to be the case then that just makes an absolute mockery of that film and I won't be happy !

14. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

Sadly their implementation will be massively slowed down by people insisting they must be perfectly safe before they can be on the road, failing to recognise that they are already safer than human drivers. This will cost lives, but unfortunately the public's (and politicians') fear of the unknown will outweigh facts, as usual.

Still, once they get going they'll be brilliant.

15. General Lee Speaking

I don't have a problem with self-driving cars but the technology will eventually see a lot of people put out of work when it is used commercially.

16. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

Just had a gander at the Mackem thread on this. The two themes were:

1) I don't understand how they work. Therefore it will never happen.
    2) Humans are the weak link in driving therefore we shouldn't let machines do it.

Seems like Mackem Logic doesn't just apply to footballing records...

GLS has hit the nail on the head with the negative side of it here though. It's going to put a lot of people out of work and make a few of others very rich. Could get nasty.

17. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

How many on here would actually want a driverless car? Not me. I like driving and outside of traffic jams find the experience of driving really relaxing and enjoyable.

For me its a bit like electric cars, everyone else can have them but please just leave me be with my petrol car and ability to drive.

18. General Lee Speaking

Traffic jams and long motorway journeys are the obvious benefits. I think the development of the technology is almost entirely based around commercial applications and removing the cost of human beings from delivering parcels/goods and taxiing people from A to B.

Electric or petrol makes little difference to us as private drivers. If there's a significant upside in terms of environmental impact then it's a no-brainer to go electric, assuming it's affordable which obviously it will be if it isn't already. If you stop and think about it for a moment it's extremely ignorant to burn fossil fuels when, firstly, we know it damages the planet we live on, and, secondly, there is an abundance of energy available from our star and from tidal forces which we could harness given the will to do it.

19. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Mackems are still with horses and carts.

20. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Yes but if I’m the only one allowed to use petrol then it won’t harm the planet, will it. So we just have to agree that I’m the only one that can use petrol and everyone else has to use electric. That’s not too much to ask for, is it?

P.S Petrol prices would have to stay the same.

:)