1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dr Strangelove (how I learned to stop worrying and love Boris)

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Deletion Requested1, Sep 21, 2021.

1. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Double post.

2. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

3. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

No, I'm talking about the crackpots who've gone over the edge. Unable to do anything but scream about evil Tories any more and can't leave any sensible attempt at discussion by others untouched, calling anyone who doesn't agree with them a Tory like it's a trump card. It's not even sixth form politics at this point, it's even more juvenile.

Did May's government have any talent? Or can you not think beyond Johnson?

4. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

They jumped straight in delivering the "highest tax cuts for 50 years" despite warnings from the former chancellor and many experts. The OBR offered to provide a report for the mini budget analysing the impact but this was refused by the chancellor. The chancellor also sacked the permanent treasury secretary on his first day who brought with him a wealth of experience - something else that was highly criticised before the budget.

The chancellor didn't speak to the key markets or the bank of England about his plans and thereby undermined the key pillars of the economy.

His mini budget then saw the pound crash which led to sales of government bonds, meaning that the prices dropped dramatically and everyone's pensions were at risk. The bank of England then had to step in and offer to buy bonds to calm the markets, but this comes at a cost. It's basically quantitative easing and will result in increased interest rates over time. So now the government has gambled everything, either the economy recovers immediately or we'll start to see those interest rates rise which will send growth backwards and see us into a far greater crisis than before.

There's nothing reassuring about this, and I'm not sure you can argue that it's not "completely clueless". The chancellor and pm haven't even understood the key market drivers and key institutions involved in our economy. Their plan was by any measure radical, and instead of seek expert opinions, they actively ignored them.

As for the anti-conservative sentiment, a lot of the criticism I've seen has come from Tories themselves.

5. Culinary

Culinary Well-Known Member

Yes, May's government did have talent, certainly relative to Johnson's and what we have now. Even though I largely didn't agree with their politics I could recognise their competencies.

As I say, Johnson purged all the talent and identity from the party when he transformed it into UKIP dressed in blue.

Blond Bombshell and TopClub like this.
  6. Culinary

The thing I don't understand is that they knew interest rate hikes would follow these announcements. Minford who is Truss' economic guru told her as such so it surely must have been factored into their strategy but how in any way shape or form does that encourage growth which is supposedly what the budget was all about?

Blond Bombshell likes this.
  7. The Norton Cat

Most of what you've said there is effectively what I was saying anyway. What's happening now certainly is quantitative easing, that's being widely reported. If you haven't seen it, have a look at some of the analysis from economists on the news channels, because that is basically what I have been repeating on here. The point being, that many of them, while being heavily critical of what's happened, aren't behaving in the hysterical manner that is coming across in media headlines.

As for your last paragraph, I have already explained that those comments weren't specifically about this situation but about attitudes to the Conservatives in general.

8. The Exile II

Talent like Truss, Patel, dirty boy Damien Green, Jeremy Hunt, Gavlarrr Williamson, Chris Grayling, David Davis, Liam Fox and a certain Foreign Secretary?

Stellar.

9. Culinary

Pardon? None of those were suspended by Johnson were they?

10. The Norton Cat

Slightly more than half of those he suspended had the whip returned though. The two biggest misses didn't mind- Ken Clarke and Rory Stewart.

Culinary likes this.

11. The Exile II

'Yes, May's government did have talent, certainly relative to Johnson's and what we have now. Even though I largely didn't agree with their politics I could recognise their competencies'

12. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Agreed, Apple, Google, Amazon etc all dodge paying fair share of taxes.

COYCS likes this.
  13. Culinary

What point are you trying to make?

The talent I'm referring to, that was purged from the party, was head and shoulder above the names you mentioned who are the ones that remained.

I never said that everyone in May's government was talented as that is about as far away from my opinion as you could get.

14. Culinary

That's true.
    There was clearly an element of constructive dismissal for the likes of Sir Nicholas Soames, Grieve, Gauke and Burt though.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  15. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Dishy Wishy is sitting back in his mansion in fits of laughter atm.

DH4 likes this.
  16. The Norton Cat

Inasmuch as they were preventing him doing what he wanted to do? Totally.
    Edit: Or do you mean in terms of easing them towards retirement or out the door? Totally that too!

17. The Exile II

There was no talent there to be purged. Which is a consequence of increasing churn caused by the hysterical reaction to every and any thing done by a government these days.

18. Culinary

The latter but aye.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  19. Iain

Iain Well-Known Member

Can anyone help a thick ****er like me out, well I'm not that thick generally just when it comes to politics.
    I haven't got a clue who to vote for at the next election.
    I was brought up in a strong Labour household and was taught to hate Thatcher, ive looked back at events myself and personally think she got a lot of things wrong but I also think the unions also have a lot to be blamed for and personally not a fan of unions to this day, in principle I think they are a fantastic idea it's the union leaders I find are the biggest problem.
    I voted Labour at almost every election since I was 18 however under JC I felt they couldn't be further from the Labour party I was brought up to believe in.
    I voted tory at the last election, probably because of brexit, I voted to leave the EU I don't really know why but basically because I didn't have a clue what I was voting for
    The debates and reasoning from both sides was so contradictory, both sides saying it would be better for business etc.
    I think the fact Blair and his cronies were pushing to stay in made me want to leave, simply because these were the same people that said it would be catastrophic if we didn't join the Euro which proves they know Jack ****.
    I'm not sure I can relate to or trust KS, I know it's not a personality competition but you still need some sort of connection to who you want to lead the country.
    My whole point in this is I have no allegiance to any party and would vote for any party that would make my life better but I don't think I'm alone in the fact I haven't got a clue who they are.
    There are so many people that are red or blue and cannot see any good in what the other party does, so any kind of neutral pointers would be much appreciated

rooch 3 and The Norton Cat like this.
  20. The Exile II

A windfall tax that takes into account tax paid (or lack thereof) as well as whether profits were earned or not would be an easy sell to almost everyone I think.

The Norton Cat and Sunderpitt like this.