1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dr Strangelove (how I learned to stop worrying and love Boris)

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Deletion Requested1, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of whinging from the tory south of England about the cost of levelling up to them.

Seeing how the North East had had plenty of rain lately and the South is having a drought (although very little had been done by overseas owned companies to fix leaks).

For every pint of water they want from here we should charge them £6.

Seems fair to me.

2. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I don’t actually know why we don’t, I can guarantee they would if it was the other way round.

3. Culinary

Culinary Well-Known Member

Whilst it is an admirable vote, as long as we have the flawed FPTP system in place it will be a wasted one where you are.

All you’d be doing is increasing the likelihood of another Tory government. A vote for anyone other than the party in your constituency most likely to beat the Tories or not voting at all may as well be a tick in box for the Conservative party.

I’ve voted Lib Dems the last several elections despite them not holding my allegiances as anything else in my constituency is a wasted vote and will continue to be so unless we introduce PR

As it was Labour and Lib Dem had 58% of the vote, 19% and 39% respectively I think but still the Tories won the seat.

We need to wise up as an electorate, ABT, and the attacks on Starmer from within the Labour Party and subsequent boycott threats are only going to jeopardise that regardless of how principled they may be.

Come the next election you can all sit back satisfied that you stopped Starmer’s lighter shade of blue getting into Government whilst staring at the reality of four more years of Truss and the Tories. Should be enough time for them to put the final nails in the coffin of the country.

Smug in Boots, TopClub and Sunderpitt like this.
  4. Pure River Slut

Pure River Slut Well-Known Member

That’s very true and the reason I do vote Labour. But it’s also why our electoral system is ruined, why we need PR because I prefer the policies of the Greens and have done for a long while.

TopClub and Culinary like this.
  5. Culinary

You’re far from alone in that.

Possibly the best outcome in the next general election for a lot of people would be Labour as the biggest party but not achieving a majority. Then Lib Dems offering a coalition on the condition that PR be introduced.

Labour would be reluctant but it may be their only choice (apart from maybe agreeing to a Scottish referendum) if they want to govern.

6. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Understand that a water pipeline is being created from the north down to east anglia. What's theirs is theirs and what's ours must be shared.

7. Pure River Slut

Yep that’s the outcome I want. Did anyone see the Liverpool and Man City fans combined singing ‘**** the Tories’ yesterday at the charity shield. There’s some hatred of them at the moment.

TopClub, DH4 and Culinary like this.
  8. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Liverpool have sang that for years.

I personally think all politics should be kept out of sport.

9. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Hanging on a bit here...

10. Culinary

Aye but hopefully they’ll be shamed into calling a general election once the new leader comes in. ;)

11. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

You been on the spliffs again. Shamed<doh>

12. Culinary

Whooosh….

rooch 3 likes this.
  13. Pure River Slut

I’d quite enjoy a day there joining in personally.

14. Saf

Nothing stopping you. It's a nice city with plenty to do.

I don't care if people are singing about the red, blue, green or yellow party. I go to sport events to enjoy myself and get away from real life troubles for a few hours.

I'd prefer sport not to be mixed up with politics.

15. Pure River Slut

Fair enough. I think before the game at events where there are royals, national anthems and politicians wanting tweets and photo opportunities though it’s fair game to have your opportunity to voice your opinion. Nadine Dorries is claiming an assist.

16. Saf

This sounds good. Love how she's going after the unions. Go Liz!

Ms Truss has also proposed scrapping jobs aimed at increasing inclusion and diversity in the public sector.

In addition to introducing regional pay, Ms Truss has said she would save £137m by banning union representatives from getting paid time off to focus on union work.

The foreign secretary also wants to reduce average civil service annual leave from 27 days to 25 and scrap Whitehall's diversity officers - something her team estimates could save £12m a year.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  17. Pure River Slut

In this time unregulated capitalism would ruin us all. I’ve had bad experiences with unions but right now they are more crucial than ever. By scrapping diversity and inclusion do we mean no support programmes for helping the disabled and people with mental health difficulties get a foot on the ladder?
    i also see she is disrespecting democracy already like the last lot. Let’s just ignore the Scottish and the union shall we? Right now I’d rather be Scottish than English.
    With respect your post is a dreadful as she is.

18. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Think we all would mate, sadly big money is involved .

Makemstine Roger and Saf like this.
  19. Saf

There's nothing stopping you from moving to Scotland? I say this all the time to people. If you genuinely don't like this country and see somewhere that is more suitable to your way of living, why not move there and be happy instead of staying somewhere and moaning?

The country is on its knees and the unions are encouraging strikes in every Industry. That is the last thing this country needs right now.

They aren't saying diversity and inclusiveness don't matter. They're new jobs that have emerged and really aren't needed.

How are they ignoring democracy? Scotland are the ones doing that in my opinion. They're acting the same way as remainers when they lost the Brexit vote. They need to wait another 20 or 30 before being allowed another referendum.

Iain, Makemstine Roger and rooch 3 like this.
  20. Pure River Slut

The country is on its knees because of unregulated capitalism not the unions. The increase in shareholders taking profits for personal gain rather than reinvesting in the people who run the business is the reason it is on its arse. There’s a simple answer to preventing strikes and that’s to legislate on executive/ senior pay, windfalls and profits and raise the minimum wage in line with inflation.
    They are saying diversity doesn’t matter because they’re saying they’ll take investment out of it in favour of tax savings for the wealthy. It’s exactly what they’re saying. They are putting their money where their mouth is.
    If Scotland have another referendum fair play to them. They didn’t vote to be run by aspiring fascists, so why should they be. Another elitist right wing victory elected by a minority of people and I’ll be joining them.