1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dorus has signed for Wolves

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by alswan, Jun 22, 2011.

1. alswan

alswan Member

Dorus unveiled by Wolves

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...11/06/22/wolves-complete-dorus-de-vries-deal/

Wolves today unveiled their second summer arrival with Swansea goalkeeper Dorus De Vries signing a three-year contract.

The 30-year-old is understood to have undergone a medical yesterday and follows Jamie O’Hara into Molineux as the club’s second signing in as many days.

Former Holland under-21 international De Vries has signed on a Bosman free transfer after rejecting a lucrative new deal to stay at the Premier League’s newest club, who have lined up Polish goalkeeper Grzegorz Sandomierski from Jagiellonia Bialystokas as his replacement.

De Vries will solve Wolves’ goalkeeping dilemma after they released Marcus Hahnemann and Adriano Basso at the end of last season.

And the new signing will provide competition for first choice Wayne Hennessey and Carl Ikeme.

By moving to Wolves, he has shown his determination to challenge for his place as he has given up his place after being a virtual ever-present for the last four years in South Wales.

Six-foot one De Vries made 203 appearances for the Swans and broke their record for clean sheets in 2009-10 with 25 shut-outs.

After joining from Dunfermline in 2007 where his last game was in the Scottish Cup final against Celtic, he won two promotions, from League One in 2007-08 and to the Premier League in May.

Known for his excellent distribution and handling, he played as a centre-half until he was 15.

De Vries started his career in his native Holland with Telstar, before three years with Wolves’ 1971-72 UEFA Cup opponents ADO Den Haag.

2. Millpond Swan

Millpond Swan Member

I wish DDV all the best in the future as he's been instrumental in our success over recent years although i,m not sure he's made the right decision and that Wolves bench is going to be chilly in the midst of winter with a stand missing.

3. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

Well, I have to say I'm very surprised by that.

4. Jager

Jager Well-Known Member

Wish him all the best, sad to see him go obviously, but if the reports of him refusing to sign a clause on relegation are true, I am glad he has gone, the financial stability of the club is more important than enriching an individual player.

5. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Active Member

All the best to De Vries , no one can doubt how important he was to us in the Championship . I do feel he will get found out a bit in the Premier League though , especially without our commitment to defense & with his inability in the air around the box . If he does struggle a bit , I'm glad it's some one other than us stuck with his 3 year contract , especially if we come back down . Again , all the best to him .

6. Loughor Jack

Loughor Jack Member

well he'll have to prove he can take hennesseys place. if it's just the money that matters, then good luck to him. as for his distribution skills, if he throws the ball out. his stats would be very good as that's what he does most of the time. and that's the way we like to play. but when he kicks out. i think his stats would be a lot poorer. there have been so many times when his kicks have gone straight to the other team.

7. Yankee_Jack

Yankee_Jack Well-Known Member

Now we upgrade. At least we now know how to beat Wolves ... pepper the box with crosses.

8. Scottswan

Scottswan Active Member

Excellent shot stopper, and excellent distrobution, and we´ll miss both of those attributes. However, he is godawful at dealing with set pieces and crosses, and you´d better believe we´re going to have a lot more of that to deal with this year, so I´m thinking this might not be a bad thing for us. Fresh start at the back, new guy with a point to prove...

Who knows eh! Good luck to him. I'm surprised by this, and a little disappointed, but it is far from the end of the world.

9. jimmyswan

jimmyswan Member

I'm really surprised he's left. I'm gutted tbh I thought he was quite pivotal to the way we play but there we are. Lets hope the next keeper is better!

10. CopperQuarterJack

Nothing on the official sites yet? Im holding hope until I read it there.

11. ivoralljack

ivoralljack Well-Known Member

Let's hope that we get a keeper who can command his penalty area because DDV never did that for us. As Yankee says, when we play Wolves, if he's playing then get the ball into the box and pressure him. I'm sure the rest of the Premiership will be targeting him in the same way as well.

12. whitershadeofpale

I am not surprised DDV has jumped ship; his contract negotiations were held back by HJ (rightly so) as nobody knew where we'd be playing next year. It shouldn't be a shock to anyone that DDV, Darren and even others will leave.

Personally, I think a professional player needs to earn as much as they can in what can be a fairly short playing career, as you never know when a career could be cut short through injury (I'm sure Ferrie Bodde would agree there) and at 30 years old, how many more years could DDV command a high salary before he starts to struggle with his wage demands?

I'd be more disappointed should Taylor go, as he had his first ‘big’ break with the Swans, but loyalty means nothing if you are not originally from the area where most fans live. Players like Alan Tate are the exception and although he's not exactly my favourite defender, he always give his all and seems to be the ultimate ‘Jack B'stard’, even if I do have a coronary every time he gets the ball in the last third of the pitch...

DDV's never been good on crosses in my estimation, so let's see what Brendan can bring in. The young Polish 'keeper seems a good bet, but there's certainly no need to panic.

13. Il Jackante Buono

Yankee
    Excellent point!

14. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Active Member

One thing I'm reasonably happy about is not having to deal with De Vries & his contract issues again & his ability to keep us in the dark about what he's doing because this wasn't the first time !!

15. Doey

Doey Member

If i'm honest I feel a bit letdown and slightly confused... Wolves aren't going to be in a significantly better position than us this season and it would seem he won;t just walk into the starting line up there.

I do wish him all the best but i feel letdown and upset at his silence about it all.

16. Scottswan

Scottswan Active Member

I wonder what we offered him? He was giving it the big one at the end of the season saying how he wanted to help the Swans get to the Premiership etc... Clearly he wasn´t that fussed on actually playing for us there too!

17. Doey

Doey Member

I know it's rumours, but apparently we offered him £20,000 a week. I heard that from the same person who told me Dorus refused a contract on Sunday (before this ball started rolling)

18. Scottswan

Scottswan Active Member

****! Really? If he turned that down then sod the guy, good riddance.

19. Doey

Doey Member

I'm the first to say don't take that as a certain fact, but i'm pretty sure it's around that figure. The info did come from someone on the board at the club so it's not just total fabrication.

20. Scottswan

Scottswan Active Member

Nah obviously I doubt I´ll ever know the true figure! Still...