1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Don't quite understand the logic

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Liam Feeney may be a nice guy but how does this comment from Tony Mowbray make sense?

"Mowbray was keen to allow Feeney to try and get some game-time which he wouldn’t have been assured of at Ewood Park.

“I have always said that I like Liam Feeney as a boy,” Mowbray told the club's official website.
    “I spoke to Neil Warnock a few times about him and I wish him well.

“For me when I looked at the break down of my team there are times when everyone is fit where he wouldn’t make the 18.

“I didn’t want to stand in his way, it’s a fantastic opportunity for him and let’s see how he gets on."

If he wouldn't get any game time or even make the bench for League 1 Blackburn, how is he going to be any better off at City?

2. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

They just want him off their books.
    I cant understand this signing to be honest.

3. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

I've always found it odd when a club loans a player from a division below them. Unless its a recently relegated club (like Blackburn) who are trying to trim the wage bill or want to play a totally different game plan from the previous season or some players just don't fit the game plan. I'd always expect a sale rather than a loan if a player is obviously capable of playing a division above.

On the 'we've brought him in until January to cover injuries', its been said before, why not just keep Kennedy?

I assume Warnock sees Bryson as a better fit to his gameplan than O'Keefe which is why he went.

4. Hilts24

Bryson is a quality player who will be pushing our current midfield 3. Hes miles better than O'Keefe who is by no means a poor player.

We have 5 quality players now competing for 3 places.

5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I make that 6 with Halford.

6. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

The man who keeps the whole squad honest.

Back 4, midfield, even the strikers know that one poor game and they'll be dropped for 'the knife'.

I heard Zohore is on extra shooting practice as 1 goal from 5 doesn't cut it and 'the knife' is breathing down his neck.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  7. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Let's see how he turns out before judging.

Most of NW's signings have been top drawer; some not so - Richardson, Cham hack for example - but Feeney is only here for 3 months and cannot see him being anything but a bench warmer.

8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Why are we paying his wages then? (and he's actually here for 4 months not 3. :emoticon-0105-wink:)

9. Jay-Rede

Jay-Rede Well-Known Member

Plain and simple just back up until young Harris has recovered from his self inflicted injury.

10. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Jay - I appreciate the "backup on the bench" theory as a reason for bringing in Feeney but I question the need and especially the cost.

I didn't think Kadeem's injury was going to keep him out of contention for anything like that length of time and even though Warnock probably wanted Kennedy off the books, we still had cover out wide without Kadeem. Ward, Pilks and even Mark Harris who's been hailed as the next big thing could warm the bench for that position. We're comitted to paying them so why not use them.

I've no idea what Feeney would be on but it can't be less than 5 grand a week, probably more being as Mowbray wanted him off their books. I make that around a cool 100 grand wasted for next to nothing............unless that is Warnock has spotted another talent hidden away that he can release for City. As ever, time will tell.

Bryson is a completely different kettle of fish - absolutley smashing signing that can push this club over the line this season.

Jay-Rede and ninian opinion like this.

11. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Whilst I agree with your scepticism, I still reckon we need to wait and see.

On another subject what do you reckon Pilks will be doing until the next window?

Plus has Mark Harris been playing for any of the other sides this season? I had assumed if fit he'd have featured in the League Cup.

12. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I think he's been playing for the Dev squad. He was on the bench for us against Burton in the Carabao but not used.

13. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Interesting point re: Kennedy/Feeney.

Maybe at Kennedy's age the need to play regularly is important (and we could not provide it) whereas Feeney does not have that need. In saying that we appear to be paying a lot for a bench warmer.

I've seen Feeney on a number of occasions over the years (down at Bournemouth whilst visiting) and against us. He always impressed with his desire to get past his full back and frequently did although his final crosses could be well off the mark (shades of Noonie?). Also, seemed to run out of steam second half unless well on top of his opponent. However, could be useful if ML or Hoilett not playing for any reason or if coming off the bench.

Don't know where/if Pilks fits in though.

P.S. I see Kennedy came on as sub for Pompey yesterday and seemed to do well even though they lost to Rotherham.

14. Hilts24

Kennedy was head and shoulders better than any other Portsmouth player when he came on yesterday.
    Thats not saying much though. Portsmouth were terrible. Kennedy got promoted with Plymouth. He could get relegated with Portsmouth. They were that bad.

15. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I watched Kennedy come on for Portsmouth yesterday as well.

As Hilts says, Pompey were bloody hopeless before half time and not much better after it - except for Kennedy. Jackett brought him on at half time and played him wide left which I thought was a bit strange because the guy they had wide right was worse than Warren Feeney.

The problem Kennedy had was he was always trying to check back in on his right foot to get the cross in. When he did though he sent across some super centres that the Pompey forwards failed to convert.

The other thing I've been concerned about with Kennedy is although he's tricky little bugger, he always seems to be a bit lightweight. When you look at him and our new wide right man Mendez together, it's like comparing a flyweight with a cruiserweight. Kennedy needs to go around defenders whereas Mendez will go through them.

O'Keefe played the whole game and ran around a lot but achieved nothing. It may be his team mates that were at fault but he was ineffective. Don't want to be rude to the guy, but I'm glad he's gone.