1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Doncaster Rovers

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

I think Sheff Wed have more scope to improve and challenge than Ipswich. That was a cracking result for them last night and they seem to be getting their act together. Bolton are possibly the best side we've faced since being in this division. I think they've got real potential to challenge, this season.

If you can put a run of 3 or 4 wins together now then you'll deserve credit and to be taken seriously as title challengers.

2. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Did you have to bring up that bellend's name?

3. Saf

People are obsessed with me, Spanish. I get this a lot :emoticon-0147-emo:

4. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Sheffield Wednesday have more scope to improve.....cock!

5. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I think if we can sign Bonne on a permanent deal in January it will show great intent on behalf of the new owners.He obviously has a real love for Town,knows where the goal is and,if we’re committed to only one up front,he’s about as good as anyone in that role.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Is this some kind of joke? We are bringing top players like Morsy and Celina into the side for the first time. We can buy again in January.

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

He will surely have a £5m tag on him by then if he carries on.

8. Saf

So you've been saying all season. You aren't the only club that has good players.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you don't have the best squad 'on paper' in the league, like you also claim <doh>

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I didn’t say it but on paper I would say we have the best individuals, but that’s subjective. Neither did I say other sides aren’t going to be competitive, some of them have good players too. That was a point I made over and over again before the season got underway. If the season started now we’d be up there, but we have a deficit to make up so let’s see.

Don’t see Sheffield Wednesday challenging. I reckon they have to go through a transition. Bolton will be up there.

itfcptc likes this.
  10. Saf

You've never claimed that you have the best squad on paper?

11. Saf

12. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

If you want to go splitting hairs I said side, not squad. And I was talking about the best individuals. I think we do have that. There are not better players in this league than Bonne, Celina, Morsy. What we don’t have is any depth. If key players get injured from the back to the front we’ll be in trouble. However we can address that again in January.

13. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Bonne is an interesting one as who'd have thought at the start of the season he would've been our best player so far? For me without knowing to much about him, he was one of our more underwhelming signings who I thought was signed more for back up.

He's done brilliantly so far, so would be great if we could sign him but (and perhaps I'm being overly harsh) he does need to do a bit more throughout the whole game as a lone striker. The majority of the first half yesterday he was superb, movement strength, heading was great however apart from a great goal second half he went missing.

Now that isn't so much of an issue in a 2 up front, I remember many proper goalscorers we've had (like D Bent) could have a game where they hardly got a touch of the ball then suddenly came up with a winner at the end of the match but as a lone striker you simply can't go missing even if you're having a bad game, you still need to be an outlet and make runs, occupy defenders.

I've seen Bonne do that on a couple of occasions now, it was okay yesterday as we had other players who really stepped up but it could put pressure on us if we're having an off day. Perhaps I'm being a but harsh and the lone striker role is really difficult you just a player there who even if they're having a bad time will give the defenders a difficult time

14. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

We have strength in depth in the forward positions, couldn’t ask for more, we’re over supplied.

our big problem will be if Morsy gets injured. No one can play his position like he can and all the previous games have shown no matter what combo we play we’re quite ineffective in the middle as we’ve all seen and discussed.

itfcptc likes this.
  15. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Agree we have at least 2 players in every position but given how attack minded Cook likes and therefore likes sitters infront of the defence I can't believe we only signed 1 defensive midfielder. It's such a shame Downes wanted to leave as that would've been a great solid centre mid.

That performance from Morsy was outstanding, its been a long time since we had a midfielder perform like that. He dictated play, set the tempo and drove the team on with his character, it felt like having a Magilton like character in the team despite being different players in terms of style.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    Bigalreigned likes this.
  16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Don’t agree at all. We have plenty of attacking midfield options but not strikers. Chaplin looks capable of hitting double figures and I’m sure Norwood would if he played. But Bonne is the only prolific goal scorer.

Defensively we don’t have the depth. We don’t have it in goal. The only area we have any depth is midfield.

Sure, we have players that can make up the numbers but the second XI would be nowhere close to the first.

17. Saf

please log in to view this image