1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Doncaster Rovers

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Sep 28, 2021.

1. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I think its splitting hairs, he's obviously pretty good wherever he plays just think it plays to his strengths running at the full back or checking inside. When you play the 10 role it's more about passing and Fraser is a very good passer of the ball but not so good running at players mind you he's put some very good crosses in today

2. itfcptc

Paul Cook said we'd be a better team with Morsey in the side, didn't think we'd look this much better. He's too good for this level

Southcoastoldgaffer and Spanish like this.
  3. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Wow, we were great today. Doncaster were terrible and made it easy for us but it all worked.

CBs and keeper are communicating, FBs got forward. Midfield two looked natural together. Front three and Bonne worked hard, Burns with the energy, Fraser with defensive cover and let Penney do the overlaps instead of trying to be a winger and Celina did well in the middle and then better out wide. Bonne just loves playing for his home town club.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  4. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Let’s not get too carried away. Doncaster are bottom of the table for a reason!

Redruth and Buckyohare like this.
  5. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

What a nice discussion to even be able to have, interchangeable quality throughout the team <ok>

Southcoastoldgaffer and itfcptc like this.
  6. itfcptc

Of course though Doncaster have only been losing by odd goals. The biggest factor for me is that we've looked far more solid at the back, Start of the season we were making the same mistakes again and again, too much space in full back positions putting pressure on CBs and CMs.

It's clear we have quality, too much for this division but it's all about getting a balanced team and balanced tactics.

I thought Morsey and Fraser dictated play today.

My only slight caution is when Doncaster changed tactics second half that space out wide was there again, better teams will punish us for that

Buckyohare likes this.
  7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Credit to Cook though, he took the chance a break in play gave him to call the players over for some tactical changes.

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

At the very least we are not that team!

9. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Where is saff with his smart arse comments now? Sunderland we are coming for you.

Spanish likes this.
  10. Buckyohare

Buckyohare Well-Known Member

I actually thought Celina was maybe6 out of 10. He still seems below peak levels but if half the runs, passes and crosses come off in the future he’s our jewel.

Motm was Morsy for me. Bossed that midfield. He was everywhere and completely agree with San Diego he’s running the shiw even when not in possession. He protected the defence, collected and drove forwards, snuffed out so many attacks, was always available for a pass, never lost possession.., and let the attackers fly without fear we’d be picked apart on the counter. Thank god we got him.

Southcoastoldgaffer and itfcptc like this.

11. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Something like that will do.

Been too long since we actually put another team to the sword. More of the same please.

12. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

You called?

13. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Haven’t enjoyed a night like that at PR for years.We at last look like a team capable of dishing out some demolitions in this Division.OK Doncaster are bottom but we really put them to the sword and didn’t let up.Morsy is the final missing piece, a bit like Skuse ,but good!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  14. itfcptc

After 1 game I can firmly says Morsey is 10 times the player Skuse was/is.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  15. itfcptc

Great performance tonight but needs to be built on and definitely wasn't perfect, I hope it's as much the whole team improving as it is Morsy coming into the team because 1 player shouldn't make such a big difference.

My ratings:

Hladky-7- not alot to do at all but was impressed with his distribution, was nice to see a keeper try to set off attacks quickly for a change rather than holding onto the ball to roll out to the defenders who pass it amongst themselves for a bit before passing back to the keeper who then hoofs it.
    Donacien - 6 - was okay, not really tested defensively but kept to his position, did some good things on the ball but also misplaced it a few times, clearly not overly comfortable with the ball at his feet.
    Edmunson and Burgess -6- didn't do anything wrong but didn't really know how to rate them because they didn't need to really do alot. Kept their positions well and went direct quickly, plus cleared their lines when they needed to
    Penney - 7- got up and down the pitch well, nice runs and defensively pretty solid
    Evans - 7 - had a good game and perhaps I'm being harsh as he got a hat trick but his overall game play was good but not standout, kept things ticking over nicely in the midfield
    Morsy - 9 - great performance, strength, great defensive positioning, didn't throw himself into challenges but also positive and looking to drive the team on with the ball, was available for passes especially from the CBs and also knew when to play the simple pass just to keep the ball. The most complete defensive midfield performance I've seen from a Town player in a very long time (if ever).
    Celina -7- clearly has quality on the ball but as discussed I feel he's best with space to run at players (more likely to get that on the wing) and 1st half he didn't get that opportunity and gave the ball away a few times although certainly grew into the game. Much more exciting on the wing, went out there twice and created a goal both times. Please Cook keep him wide left
    Fraser - 8 - this boy has got quality on the ball, spots the runners and played some good through balls and crosses. Isn't a winger and offers something different to other players we have in those attacking positions (probably better at keeping the ball, let's the ball do the work), think he could maybe even play next to Morsy if we wanted to get more attacking talent in the team. Whilst Evans scored the hat trick I thought it was Morsy and Fraser who dictated the game.
    Burns - 8 - started the first half on fire. I like his directness as a player and probably not the most skillful of our wide forwards, he has a great work ethic and probably is a little more solid.
    Bonne - 7 - Like Burns started the game really well, was running the defence ragged but despite scoring a great goal faded second half. Perhaps I'm being overly critical but when playing 1 up top you need the defenders to know they are in for a game and from the couple of games I've seen this season he's faded second half to the point you don't really realise he's playing.

16. malagamackem

malagamackem Well-Known Member

See you in say 10 games then?

Saf likes this.
  17. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

What a morale boosting performance that was. An ITFC resounding win is great medicine, brilliant for our mental well-being. I mean wen did we all last feel so overjoyed? 10 hrs ago?

And it wasnt any old win, it was the manner if it.

Lets go on proper run, and with the extra game, could be nudging top 10 in 2 weeks.

itfcptc likes this.
  18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I want some of whatever they’re giving you.

We would have to win all our matches and for all the other teams from sixth down to mid table to not pick up more than an odd win.

Getting into the top half and being in touching distance of the play offs by the end of November feels like a more realistic target, but would be a massive achievement.

19. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Just a few days ago they were described by the Sheff Wed supporters as possibly the worst team they've faced all season. They've just beaten a team who have won 4 points all season and now everybody needs to watch their back. One or two like to get carried away on this board.

I see Sheff Wed and Bolton as our biggest dangers.

20. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

So we played badly but still drew against the side you think are the biggest contenders sandwiched by an away win and an absolute mauling and somehow you don’t think that’s good form? Okay.

Sunderland have started well, but we’ve been there enough times. I wouldn’t get too cocky.

itfcptc likes this.