1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Doesn't surprise me

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

General Lee Speaking likes this.
  2. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

That is shocking.

3. Brian Storm

Expectation and petulance has grown within our fan base sadly. It's byond stale now, it's turned into something much uglier. The abuse hurled at players, the tension everywhere.

Even Reidy felt the expectation even back then.

upload_2017-10-5_20-56-46.png

upload_2017-10-5_20-57-35.png

upload_2017-10-5_20-58-18.png

I think it's the elephant in the room for a huge chunk of our fan base personally. Can't always be everybody elses fault, surely we need to look at the part we play.

4. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

I'd say as a fanset we're pretty not great but I don't think the club deserve any better at the moment.

Fans are always going to want to see a little bit more than they saw the year before. Over recent times we've gradually seen less and less.

5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any reason in particular that would make us better or worse fans than any other club, across the country and the world we're all just people that love football and differences between us are fairly minor. Our support is crap at the moment tbh but you can't blame them. My dad wants me to go to the QPR game and the only reason I'm going is to spend time with him, my faith in the team is at a lifetime low.

Our situation and the reason the fans aren't getting behind the team is because of mismanagement. It wasn't long ago that we were objectively named the premier league's best fans, I don't believe there's an inherent problem with the fans that wouldn't be resolved by the club not being so ****e.

Paperback Ruiter and commachio like this.
  6. Brian Storm

Well what ever the reason we pick up more points away than we do at home. Beyond the atmosphere isn't there only the pitch and weather to blame isn't there?

MrRAWhite likes this.
  7. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

As you know the away fans will sing their hearts out even if monty buys the club and signs Shearer as manager. It's a bit of a catch 22 but for me the blame for the poor home atmosphere should be attributed more to the poor running of the club than anything inherently wrong with our fans.

8. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

I thought the 3rd period (with bruce) may have been higher. He was building a canny team. Then destroyed it

JammySAFC likes this.
  9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

During the good times there aren't many clubs better supported than us, we create a cracking atmosphere and we're only really talking about mid table mediocrity expectations are that low.

During the bad times, which is all the ****ing time these days, I don't think we're that terrible. Few boos and whatnot but it's understandable.

10. Brian Storm

Apart from the young uns in the south stand you can hear a pin drop in the SOL. You feel the tension in the pit of ya gut. Until it goes wrong then all the energy goes into abuse and ****ing off.

Our away fans a brilliant. Home fans aren't fit to lace their match day trainers.

11. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It's night and day but I don't think it would be any different at any other club. It's an interesting debate though, I've often thought about if there's anything different about us as fans but it always comes back to people are just people no matter where they're from.

If we got the first goal for once or even, heaven forbid two goals at home, the crowd would be buzzing just like the old days. That doesn't happen though.

12. Brian Storm

Don't buy it. I come from a world of lower old second division when we were ****e, we said it before the game, we said it after the game. But from the second those players came out the tunnel it was 17k fans with a defining roar, you hung on every name announced and cheered your nut off for every **** player. That enthusiasm transferred to the pitch as even though we were limited they threw their all into kick off. Were we better home fans back then than when we were in the Prem League Keane onwards.

Sing when we're winning club now, the object of ridicule in most footballing circles.

Deleted and marcusblackcat like this.
  13. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

We've got the worst home fans out of the Championship and Premier League when things aren't going well. Our fans will boo our own players and also get on their backs for the first missed pass. We always have a scapegoat and that player doesn't stand a chance.

As for leaving early. It's utterly embarrassing when the fans start flooding out of the stadium from the 70th minute. I don't see any other clubs doing it in the number ours do.

MrRAWhite and Brian Storm like this.
  14. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

We aren't the only team to have scapegoats nor are we the only ones to sing when we're winning, Man U fans barely even do that. Neither do fans flood out after 70 mins, if that happens it's not in the games I go to.

If fans do sometimes leave early it's because they've been subjected to yet another lifeless, heartless performance from a team of eleven who don't give a ****. Don't think there are many other sets of fans who have to sit through that year on year.

rooch 3 likes this.
  15. Deleted #

It's a well known fact that our fans flood out early. I can't believe you are defending that one, tbh.

That bollox about Man United fans being quiet is a complete myth. They've got arguably the best fans in the country, for me. Away support is fantastic and there's usually a very decent atmosphere at their home games. I know because I've been to quite a few and I've been impressed every time.

16. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Not a well known fact no, more like a myth based off one time that tv cameras picked up a group of blokes going downstairs after conceding around 70 mins. I don't have eyes all around the ground but when I go to games, when we've lost people around me leave after 85 mins or so, same as any other ground.

I haven't inspected the facts but much like Arsenal home games when United play at home the crowd only seems to raise above a whisper when they're either 3-0 down or 3-0 up at which point they spring to life.

clockstander likes this.
  17. Deleted #

Disagree on both counts. I've argued with so many blokes at the games for leaving ridiculously early.

As for Man Utd, again I'm not sure what you are basing it on but my experience from attending Old Trafford is they have good home support. Especially in the Stretford end.

18. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Went to a United match with a mad red I worked with when I was living in Leeds.

Midweek. Rangers in the champions league. Drab 0-0 draw with nowt to drink. Possibly the best atmosphere I've witnessed from the Stretford end.

Could be a fluke but I'd never say anything negative about the united fans who go to games. Seemed proper supporters.

Like Liverpool I hate the united fans who arent from the area and who don't get out their armchairs but act like they're the only club in the world mind.

Deleted likes this.
  19. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Its no comfort to us but I think Everton fans are seriously competing against us at the minute during their current run.
    Most clubs fans react like ours when the chips are down, its just our chips have been down for the past four years or so.
    I cannot remember a home run this bad for this long in the nearly fifty years I've followed this club.
    As for the away support its always been top class during that same period despite many times of 'thinness' in our up and down lives supporting this club.
    Like any other club give the fans a winning team and they will turn out in numbers and lift the roof off, just like we did in Reidy's heyday.

20. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Sad thing is - against Cardiff there were a big group of fans, when we got it back to 1-1, singing "Sunderland till I die" just along from me.

Cardiff scored their second and they stood up and went - obviously, being the gobshite I am, I said "Weren't you singing 'Sunderland till I die' 5 minutes ago? Iis it more like 'Sunderland till things go wrong?'" Been my thought for quite a while now to be honest

MrRAWhite and Deleted like this.