1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Does Woodward continue to embarrass himself and the club?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Lucky that Madrid got greedy and ****ed up. DG realised that they were a bunch of unreliable ****s <ok>

2. UnitedinRed

UnitedinRed Well-Known Member

No doubt there was some luck involved but we've dealt with it very well and capitalised on Madrid's failures.

All in all. Its worked out very well for the club, intended or not. We won't be messed about in future either.

3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Even a broken clock is right twice in a day <whistle>

<laugh> credit where it's due, well done to the club in getting De Gea to secure a new contract. Criticise and credit accordingly I say. Adds credibility <ok>

4. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Luck or not, the club had a player with one year on his contract who was determined to leave and has now signed a new contract and the rumours are now that he's not interested in moving any more.

So credit where it's due - the club and Woodward must have done something right (or is he only responsible for the bad things that happen?)

UnitedinRed likes this.
  5. UnitedinRed

<ok>

6. Stan

Stan Stalker

It's turned out well for United and even better for the player. He gets an extra 150k a week (thereabouts), still gets to play for a top club and could still move next summer (almost certain there is a release clause in the new contract). Swarbs, United got very lucky, they should never have got to the point of being as exposed as they were this summer with De Gea.

Alternatively it was a very fiendish, masterfully executed plan!

7. UnitedinRed

Its true that we should have got his contract sorted a year ago. What complicated it was the change of manager. Of course the club it self could have dealt with it but they didnt. There were rumours of LvG not rating DDG early on. I recall he played a blinder and van Gaal refused to single him out, instead praising the team as a whole. This of course, was twisted beyond recognition to 'Van Gaal hates De Gea'. It didnt matter that on many other occasions he praised De Gea and spoke about him being the best keeper. Nor did it matter that LvG had, on a near weekly basis, stated that he did not want to sell De Gea.

While it could all have been avoided, its easy to see why his contract wasnt sorted. As far as I can tell, we made an offer sometime around last September. At this point, his agent was whispering sweet nothings and De Geas missus had decided she didnt like England anymore. Dave was 100% leaving. Right up until the point Madrid showed the world they are massive clowns and ran by a moron (take note, Perez does embarrass his club and himself, constantly).

Dave signed the deal always on offer. Maybe theres a release clause (we dont do those in English football often, plus, Liverpool showed they mean jack **** anyway). Dave seemed in good form, excluding the fluff kick against Liverpool. I can actually see him staying beyond next summer in all honesty. I think Real will have left a bitter taste after all this.

All in all I suspect the intention was to keep de gea. However, as the club has shown in recent years, if the right offer comes in, a player will be asked if they want to consider a move. Madrid finally made a worthwhile offer and we entertained it. They proceeded to mess about like idiots and the deadline passed. Not for the first time in their case either.

Lessons learned for all. Dont deal with Madrid and if you do, treat them with contempt.

8. Stan

Stan Stalker

Fakht!

9. UnitedinRed

Evening Rafa. I'm not ready to order yet, thanks.

Diego likes this.
  10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It was reported De Gea was open to negotiations for a renewal of contract in April 2014. Apparently Woody didn't do anything because LVG, who was yet to be appointed manager, didn't rate him. Sounds like nonsense but there you go. Good ole' Woody.

BTW it's a concern that LVG, a knowledgable manager able to identify the talents of unknown strikers in French Leagues... didn't rate an obvious talent like De Gea? So much so, that we almost lost a fanastic goalie, but there you go, good ole' Van Gaal. <whistle>

11. UnitedinRed

So he was up for contract negotiations right after Moyes left. Now it all makes sense. Using hearsay and taking what you've just said as gospel, its clear Moyes is to blame.

#moyesout

12. Stan

Stan Stalker

I blame Moyes for 1991/92.

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

About as much hearsay as your post #87 above. Hmmm... Moyes fault, the guy on his way out? Not Woody's - the guy in charge of contract negotiations. Ooooooooookay <whistle>

Page_Moss_Kopite likes this.
  14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

You do both realise that 5 years or 1 year left on his contract would have made absolutely no difference to the situation we ended up in. Madrid don't care about contracts, they unsettle players they want then expect the parent club to crumble.

15. Christiansmith

And any observer could work out that what happened had nothing to do with DG and United, and everything to do with Real. Real's incompetence or more likely cold feet and greed. That is getting a world class GK for nothing next summer.

Make no mistake, United were powerless and if Madrid wanted to get DG for the agreed price of £29m they would have. How the greedy Spanish ****s banked on DG 's loyalty to them when they ****ed him I just cannot believe it.

DG signing the new contract was a no brainer for him, and no big achievement for Woodward. The GK gets a massive increase in wages, his future secured and if Madrid comes for him again they can do so, and his future wages guaranteed. Not signing would have left in limbo and at the mercy of whatever wages and compensation these greedy ****s were prepared to give him.

So no massive credit is due to Woodward. The only credit I would give is to LVG for pointing out to DG that however good he is he was prepared to drop him, for 10 months if necessary, putting his international career at risk.

16. Christiansmith

Bloody hell Treble. Don't bloody stir <grr>

Sounds right in your FIRST assessment...<ok>

17. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That sounds like utter bollocks. Even if a manager doesn't rate a player, you don't just let the contract run down on a player who could be sold for £30m+ if we put him on the market. We also offered new contracts to Welbeck and Cleverley at the same time, and they were out the door by the end of the summer.

It was widely reported that Utd entered negotiations with De Gea in April 2014 but he declined to sign as Real were sniffing around. We continued offering him a contract throughout the whole of last season, and he was 'on the verge of signing' at multiple points but again the interest from Real kept him from signing.

Not sure what else the club could have done, other than panic sell him in summer 2014 in anticipation of him refusing to sign. Something which I'm sure Woodward would have got it in the neck for as we failed to have a ready made world class replacement lined up.

UnitedinRed and Christiansmith like this.
  18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yes which is why I said it "sounds like nonsense" in my very next sentence. All I was highlighting was you can choose any narrative to suit your argument. Can you not see the irony in your post by the supposition you've made with the opening "it was widely reported that..."

So when I hear someone flying pie in the sky with phrases like "What complicated it was the change of manager." or "its easy to see why his contract wasnt sorted. As far as I can tell, we made an offer sometime around last September. At this point, his agent was whispering sweet nothings and De Geas missus had decided she didnt like England anymore." I treat it in the best way I know how...with an equally biased and superficial response. Ofcourse I could have also just said "fakht" and moved on <laugh>.

All we actually know is that arguably our best player for the last 2 years was allowed to run his contract down. The fact we came out of this with him signing a new contract can be attributed to a whole host of reasons. Woody may have been a small part of that and I credit him for it (as I've said in a previous post) but certainly not the driving force given the circumstances.

19. UnitedinRed

Which part of that wasn't true, purist?

Or is this more guff from the resident whingebag?

20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Calm down dear. Any quotes? :)

BTW weren't you going to put me on ignore?