1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Does He Really Deserve Another Transfer Window?'

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Dec 3, 2018.

1. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

You are missing the point...maybe he does want the high pressing players to fit his style of football, but maybe the QUALITY players he requires are too far out of his reach financially or unavailable at the time or unhappy to come to our club for whatever reason.. I personally think that's LJ's problem, I believe he compromises with his style and gambles on mediocre players (with what's available) hoping they will adapt, if they don't he then has to fit them into a different style.....you may say that's bad coaching or bad management and maybe you're right......So sometimes your tactical identity, short term needs to diversify. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't...Like I said, it's a gamble!!

2. oneforthebristolcity

I think you and I are on the same wavelength!! We all want to play the perfect football and win every game.....but we are Bristol City at the end of the day, so I imagine in my lifetime, that will never happen!!

3. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Systems do not have to be completely rigid. By having a simplified model of play time can be spent on its reactions to the opposition. By complicating the model less time can be sent on preparation.

With all due respect you are missing the point. By focussing on key elements of play and deciding these are principles resource is saved and better targeted. Bristol City purchase wingers .. Its ineffectual because the squad has a basic lack of ability to convert crosses into goals.

Want a footballing CB as a fundamental of play. Webster was bought. A success. Bristol City are using a key skill this player possessed - It can be done.

Mr Johnson has had over two and half years to build his foundation. Tens of millions, forty plus players and by his own admission 3/4 teams have been built. It can be fairly looked upon that the football since January has morphed through several significantly varying styles of football requiring money spend and time devoted to the approach.

Clubs of meagre means do this, and those with extravagant wealth.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  4. oneforthebristolcity

I think I said "mediocre players". That equals lack of ability required.
    We need a decent striker or two.........................I think everyone can see and has said the same. Most games we have created the chances but not converted into goals...Like LJ has said, we are nearly there................Problem is, that every club requires a decent striker, so we're all after the same thing at the right price!!

5. Cliftonville

Bristol City's most expensive forward is more than decent at chance conversion but struggles physically and technically with high tempo football, and is not particularly good at converting crosses into goals.

Its not a case of decent, its synching skill sets to football played.

Bristol City this season have only recently been playing with a lot of width and crossing. If that game approach changes, and this is a theme with Mr Johnsons football … Lee Johnson will in all probability be buying yet more clubs in the bag to cover yet yet bases to use his terminology. It is muddled thinking of change to change with no clear plan.

6. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

It makes it all the more irritating to me that we sold Djuric. I don't blame him, I have a feeling Djuric wanted to leave, but I think he was more of an adaptable player. He could play 'the big man up top' as we love to say but equally the ball didn't bounce 20 yards off of him every time it was passed his way. Think he could have gone far here.

AshtonRed likes this.
  7. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Quite agree and possible Engvall too

BCFCRob likes this.
  8. Cliftonville

And that is a point of difficulty regarding Lee Johnsons football. I could see Djuric playing in the football Mr Johnson is pursuing now because his qualities fit it while in the past his abilities were less suitable. Its wasteful and not following a clear long term.

BCFCRob likes this.
  9. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Bang on. If he was here the tactical merry go round has now come to a point that would suit Djurics strengths.

BCFCRob likes this.
  10. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

0 goals from 12 games according to Google. Maybe injuries have taken their toll.

11. Red Alert

How many times has the ball bounced 20 yards off of him when it was passed his way??

12. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Whilst we put lots of crosses in what frustrates me is most are not delivered from dangerous areas , rather than crossing from the byline they more often than not are being crossed from too deep , almost just inside the halfway line , which is too easy for the centre halves, Fam doesn’t really stand a chance with them.

13. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Didn't Fammy get 14 goals in an interrupted season ?
    I'm not sure, but from afar is a decent striker in there somewhere.
    Are we playing to his strengths ?

14. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

From what I’ve seen of Fammy, he’s strong, a good header of the ball and relatively good with his feet too (not brilliant) but he is SLOW.
    With that in mind I would play him as central and as forward as he could be without being offside. Many times this season I’ve seen him wander wide - and then he simply isn’t quick enough to pounce when the ball is played central. I see him as an old-fashioned centre-forward.
    Let Weimann or Taylor do the running - particularly Weimann who will run and run. It would work the other way around too - Fammy could do a ‘Heskey type’ role; holding the ball up whilst the quick man makes an overlapping run.
    Nicolas’s crossing is pretty good and Fammy would get his head to some if he was more centrally positioned.
    That’s my opinion for what it’s worth

15. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Doesn’t seem to be interested this season, off the bench he’s good but he then gets 90 minutes and reverts back to a lacklustre performance.

16. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Spot on Rod think he has fallen out with LJ and his crew.

17. oneforthebristolcity

I know it was a very poor game, but thought he looked decent v Ipswich......Think I'd have him behind two strikers, defo not good enough as a lone striker!

18. Red Alert

Not like he cant do more but he is lazy and he may get the winner today but the bloke has show he is not one to rely on. Gives the opposition frequently a easy ride and lets others do the running for him.

19. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

....... and he just scored!!! :)

20. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Have I ever been wrong ! <laugh>