1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Does Anyone Care About Women's Football?

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Hoddle is a god, Jun 14, 2019.

?

Do you care about women's football?

Poll closed Jul 7, 2019.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I watched about 20 mins of last night’s game. It wasn’t bad, tbh. Some of the passing was top drawer - but then some of it was pure crap too!...

2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

It’s a bit like watching a friendly. You can appreciate some nice passing and stuff but the intensity is hardly ever there and like I expect most others I can’t muster any enthusiasm for it.

If middle-class Nigels and young girls enjoy it and are inspired by it then good for them.

3. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I've just had to endure an hour of TalkSport earnestly pretending they give a **** and comparing the current women's team with previous men and men's teams.

Where does Lucy Bronze sit in the list of all time greatest right backs? I kid you not.

She's second behind Cafu mate, she's really that good. Said no one, ever.

Just **** off.

When is it over again so we can all move on?

Blueman and Rorschach like this.
  4. Bwood_Ranger

Yeah that’s the only ‘problem’ with it I guess. Give it the respect it merits as a sport in its own right. Trying to force it with stuff like this cheapens it, IMO.

5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It does, yeah.

The constant comparison with a men's game that's been professional and of the highest standard for decades and decades.

It's ridiculous.

It's ok as a standalone watch. Interesting and novel, even.

It's completely different to the men game and the BBC, with the likes of talk sport now joining in, trying to make me believe otherwise is grating.

6. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

You've only watched the group games then where the ****e teams get into? I'm not sure why all the comparisons about a man goalkeeper would save these shots and folk saying they'd get trounced off a mans team. I don't see the relevance in any of it, they are women playing women, they aren't playing men. Premier league U21 teams get slapped about off 3rd and 4th division teams in the checkatrade trophy and I never see anybody slagging the under 21's off as ****e, not good enough to play against men and an embarrassment to the sport.

I take it for what it is, good honest games which generally don't have the women throwing themselves about like a bunch of fannies (It's very refreshing) and a sport that rapidly improves every year. I've watched womens football from grassroots for a few year now and the quality is getting very very good. What I'm seeing is that until the teams hit ages 14/15, there's not a lot of difference in most of the boys and girls teams around here. I've watched a girls team play a boys team the same age off the park and win 4-2. Once the lads start bulking out and growing taller that's when the difference really starts to show. Women can't help their genetics which Is why I don't compare their game to the blokes. It will keep improving and hopefully the attendances continue to rise.

I think what womens football highlights in this world cup is that it's still ingrained in a lot of men to think that women are of a lesser sex and importance. Most blokes are happy to call them ****e and embarrassing without actually giving them a fair chance. Speaks volumes.

7. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0112-wonde

Archers Road likes this.
  8. BobbyD

BobbyD President

If it makes you feel better i think the national u21 teams are ****e as well.

Obviously they are much better than me but I'm used to watching a certain standard and all I'm saying is id rather not watch it.

Was watching a bit of the china v italy game and i didn't really feel that either.

P.s. theres a lot less pussying around but theres still been plenty of diving

Big Ern likes this.
  9. Bwood_Ranger

This, pretty much, though I appreciate Saf’s foray into feminism.

10. As I said before, women’s football is on the same level as darts and snooker.

If you enjoy it and want to watch it, fine by me.

But don’t try to pretend that the entertainment value is up there with top level men’s football, because it isn’t.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I wonder whether the women footballers cringe at the comparisons as well?

Surely, compare them to their peers and that would mean much more to the player looking to be the best right back?

So why don't the BBC and Talksport do this? Simple answer is Talksport probably don't know **** about the Chinese, French, Argentinian etc women Right Backs out there to make the comparison.

Or they know full well if they tried to do that comparison, most of their listeners wouldn't have a clue who the fck they were talking about. So the easy thing to do is compare them to men. Too thick to realise the listeners do not give a fck and consider it utter bollox anyway!

12. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

The women do I think, to be fair.

There was one ex England player being interviewed on Talksport before their game v Argentina and she was, I kid you not, asked if she thought back to past battles between the countries, like the hand of god match and the 98 world cup when Beckham was sent off.

It beggars belief.

She siged and said, no different game so of course not.

The British sport press are utter ****wits. More or less every one of them. THEY are the problem.

And the BBC as a whole of course.

Treble likes this.
  13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

USA knock out the hosts, France in the QF.

Nice of both teams to swap shirts at the end. Made it a very special occasion :bandit:

Zanjinho and Diego like this.
  14. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

True. Let's be honest here, its ****.

15. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

6 people need a ban, sadly HIAG incapable of setting up a poll correctly, so we don't know who they are.
    Just another example of his lack of usefulness.

16. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Just seen the Emirates cup is all birds this year and the ticket prices are the same as they were for sides like AC Milan Real madrid PSG etc with World class (male) Superstars.

How ****ing woke of Arsenal.
    I shall not be attending this year <laugh>

17. Rorschach

Rorschach Well-Known Member

Arsenal might have a chance of winning it this year then...

18. DUNCAN DONUTS

Pretty sure they won on pens last year.

5 times winners since 2007

19. That's ridiculous. I don't mind the game and have taken my nieces to the odd match but am I **** spending £40 a ticket on it.

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  20. DUNCAN DONUTS

If it was £20 or less then possibly but as you say it's a substandard level .

They will end up giving away tickets or having lots of empty seats.

Quesadaad and Deleted....... like this.