1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Do you still have faith in Poch ?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Hoddle is a god, Oct 20, 2019.

?

Do you still have faith in Poch?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2019.
  1. Yes

63.3%
  2. No

36.7%
  1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

There’s loads of talk on twitter saying Poch has walked.

Far as I can see it’s bollocks as there’s nothing being said on any half decent reliable info account.

Only thing that I think people have jumped to conclusions on is that it looks like the odds on Poch leaving/ being sacked have slashed big time in recent hours, some saying he was apparently 16-1 and has dropped to around 5-1.

2. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

<laugh>I saw a few tweets about that. People saying the Danny Rose comments have caused issues between Poch and Levy.

The irony if he leaves Spurs to take over Bayern Munich <laugh>

3. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Rumours seem to stem from a tale that he and Levy had a bust up over Levy telling him January’s transfer budget was only 4m. Yet to see anything with any credibility really, probably just people overreacting to the bookies shifting odds

4. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

TBH it is all getting boring.
    It's been like this since he said he might leave if we won the CL.
    Either go or say you are staying cos like a said...it's getting very very boring

5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I’d say that especially is nonsense mate, when you consider Levy had agreed £60m+ for Dybala before Juve pulled the plug I’m not sure how suddenly £54m (at least) has been scrapped from the transfer budget lol.

It seems to be purely down to some bookies changing hiring and firing odds. Apparently Ancelotti has become a 5-2 favourite to take over. Neither Ancelotti joining or Poch walking has been anywhere in the media though. Probably just bookies trying to squeeze a few quid out of punters to get them panic betting.

The Huddlefro likes this.
  6. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

None of the usual rumour aggregator feeds on Twitter have made any mention of it, and there's no mention of r/coys either

7. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

If you step back and listen to the little soundbites that have come from Poch and the players in the last year then you have to consider the possibility that the owners of our Club have royally pissed of the working staff.

I could find the quotes but no doubt we all know which ones I mean and they all point towards Levy and his spending.

About being brave about not being the manager but just a coach about signing unknown chancers that need to be Googled etc etc etc

There was only going to be a certain ceiling such a philosophy will take us towards. We all say Poch is the best man in decades for us...that's because he's hit ENICs ceiling harder than any other manager. That's why the fall from grace is looking extremely dramatic. He's falling from the highest height.

Theres Mutiny on the Ship and I believe it's aimed at Levy. All them contracts running down is payback for being on relatively(speaking) sub standard wages whilst fighting for the highest honours. On the other hand as much as I love Kane...the Golden boy attitude towards him and his superb wage rises have probably created animosity. You and I might discuss how he deserves them...but these lads have grown together and together they got us so close to the promised land on a few occasions

Wether some of us like it or not due to our linear thinking processes...emotions and feelings play a real part behind the scenes and to me everything is saying 'enough is enough' basically...we can't compete at the top with an owner who's on field attitude is more in line with a team trying to break into the Europa League spots.

No point dissecting the numbers about how much Levy spent in the Summer. I don't care about that trophy...that's not what I'm talking about. We need to accept the double edged words that have been coming out of our management and players and their action of shafting the club of I reckon a 100 mill of fees(probably more) by running contract downs.

To me it looks like a big **** You to Levy and as a result the team has suffered big time this season.

Maybe getting to the CL was the final straw that proved to a few of the players that hang on we can win these things with better players around us. Some might disagree as to whether those running down contracts are good enough but that's not the point...the point is them individuals do and they have all been pivotal in our success. Danny Rose is our current longest serving player and he's shouting the loudest about things.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Billy The Spur likes this.
  8. humanbeingincroydon

The £150k a week we offered Toby was not "substandard wages" - that would have made him one of the five highest-paid centre backs in world football

NEXT

9. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I think there could be a lot of truth in what you say here <ok>

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  10. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

We can’t dismiss the internal issues Trippier hinted at before he left either.

Feels like many players have got together and had a chat about the ambitions of our club. People like Sonny are of a different demeanour...calm and professional. The Argies are being professional for their fellow countryman. The youngsters and newbiess are still hoping to carve out a Career. Kane is happy because he’s the main man. Lloris is happy because he has come out and said that his career is in line with Poch’s.

The rest? Disgruntled and at a crossroads with their careers with no real motive to stay apart from the money which they can get elsewhere with a juicy signing on fee to soften the blow of having felt underpaid under Levy.

11. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

He can get that elsewhere playing for a team with real intent. Read the rest of the post

12. humanbeingincroydon

Actually he couldn't, given only four other CBs in world football were paid more than that, and the fact I can bring that up indicates how riddled with flaws your argument was

Also, have you noticed how none of those clubs with "real intent" bid for him in the summer, with only Roma showing any interest? When the only interest comes from the third-best team in Serie A, just like the only interest in Danny Rose came from Watford and Newcastle, that says a hell of a lot that you patently aren't interested in listening to

13. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

The ‘rebels’ can all do 1 as far as I’m concerned. Bar Eriksen they won’t get into better sides (pre slump) or earn better money than they are now.

Kane and Son are the only 2 players I’d really be gutted about losing. Eriksen was on that list but I’ve lost a lot of respect for him with his performances.

As for Poch, if he’s not happy then he should resign instead of playing the victim.

14. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

The team has been pretty successful over the past four seasons without winning anything.
    When the team's winning and the club's on an upward curve, it's much easier to be united. Players also pick up win bonuses and expect pay rises if the team is doing well and moving upwards.
    As soon as results go into a decline, some players get restless and the grass starts looking greener elsewhere. This is a problem at Spurs especially because other clubs can pay bigger wages.
    It was inevitable that Spurs would have to face this kind of situation. I don't think the management of the club foresaw the potential problems soon enough and reacted well enough. Look at the barren transfer windows when Poch was publicly bemoaning the lack of spending.
    Levy might have a great business model for the club, which is being enhanced by the new stadium. But he does seem to have overlooked that what goes on on the pitch is what underpins it all. Poch has been let down in that respect.

BobbyD and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  15. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

So what should Levy have done?

16. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Bought some players.

17. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Random ones that Poch didn't want. Who exactly?

18. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

If the manager is complaining about a lack of transfer activity repeatedly, he should address that.
    The most obvious omission was the failure to replace Dembele. At one stage, there was a clear lack of any back up for Kane.
    He also appears to have made some questionable decisions about letting players like Alderweireld and Eriksen run down their contracts.
    Trippier wasn't replaced either.
    It's as though the stadium issues dominated everything and Poch was asked to do the best with what he'd got.
    Yes it's about striking a balance, but compared to rival clubs, Spurs' thriftiness is now looking to have been too cautious and has overall been detrimental.

19. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Are you seriously suggesting that players stayed at a club they didn't really want to be at, accepting "lesser" wages to what they think they deserved, just to make a point to Levy? Good grief, can everything you see be twisted into the conclusion you've already made? Lucky we got a stadium for free eh? Annoying how these players running down their contracts conspired to get our "goal" against Leicester ruled out, or a few penalties not given.

Billy The Spur likes this.
  20. humanbeingincroydon

Toby and Rose remind me in a lot of ways of the general ****show that is Adrian Rabiot

Toby is the one that is utterly baffling to me as we were willing to break our salary cap for him and were offering a figure that sources say was between £120k and £150k a week, a salary that would've made him one of the five highest paid CBs in world football, yet he repeatedly refused to sign a contract

As for Rose, he genuinely deserves comparisons to Rabiot as he's shown that he has a grossly inflated opinion of himself judging with his running off to Murdoch's Hate Comic to throw a temper tantrum, and then after two seasons where he was half the player he was yet approximately twice the weight of that player he then moans that he'll sit out his contract because he can't lower himself to taking a wage cut to join Newcastle or Watford

Also, since I'm on the subject, it says a lot that the Lunatic Fringe have glommed on to the whole Googling players comment and not considered a.) The fact none of them had a clue who Luka Modric or Dele Alli were before we signed them or b.) The fact that, in the grand scheme of things, we're on the same tier as clubs like Dortmund, Ajax, and (pushing it, I know) Atletico Madrid and we can't just chuck the expected fees and wages at ready-made stars so we need to be crafty in the transfer market. I mean, do people honestly think Ajax fans kvetched their heads off when signing some random Argentine left back, some unknown Colombian centre back, a Brazilian winger who'd barely featured for Sao Paulo, some Moroccan winger from Twente, or a Serbian midfielder who'd spent four years at Southampton? Or do you think they thought that the club's scouts knew that Nicolas Tagliafico, Davinson Sanchez, David Neres, Hakim Ziyech and Dusan Tadic all had something to offer the team?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019