1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Do you still have faith in Poch ?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Hoddle is a god, Oct 20, 2019.

?

Do you still have faith in Poch?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2019.
  1. Yes

63.3%
  2. No

36.7%
  1. maggie blanchflower

maggie blanchflower Well-Known Member

Great post. Good old Mickey Hazzard, full of optimism and common sense and he's been there, done it, got the T shirt! A lot more ITK than any of us. Like the way he scorns us being written off after 9 games especially by the twitter twits and debunks the rumours that the players are not playing for Poch/ lost the dressing room, 'they are playing for Tottenham Hotspur'. Always did like MH & I'm pretty sure he won a fair few trophys with us, without looking it up the UEFA cup comes to mind.....Anyway, well said Mickey.

2. <applause>
    What a great rallying call!

Thanks for posting. We all need to hear this.

3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Micky’s a top bloke. He tried a rallying call before the game but seemed to fall on deaf ears after another drab display...

Could do with the likes of him, Roberts and co in the team now.

4. perrymanlegend

perrymanlegend Well-Known Member

All this confirms that the players need to start putting their collective hands up and realise that it is Tottenham they are playing for , and say i'm not putting the required effort to turn this around
    Alisdair Gold from Football.london sums it pretty well

5. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

One thing that's become clear is that while a section of the support claims Poch can't be sentimental, the issue is the support themselves being sentimental has been an issue

Back in the summer Poch wanted to sell Danny Rose, and he was set to leave until he saw the wages he was offered, yet Twitter exploded with people saying we shouldn't sell him. And how has that faith paid off this season? He's been an utter liability this season, responsible for the sort of brainfarts that Trippier was guilty of throughout last season that are just as costly. Same can be said for the fans losing their **** when we started Sanchez over Verts at the start of the season, demanding Verts be restored to the team while moronic conspiracy theories did the rounds, yet if anything our defence looks worse with Toby & Verts at the back than the Toby & Sanchez pairing of the first few games

Of course some blame does lie with Poch for being reactive rather than proactive, especially in the case of dropping Sanchez for Verts, but there is a sense that Spurs fans somehow want Poch to do the job yet also don't want him to do the job the way he wants because far too many players have been put on pedestals by the fanbase who simply shouldn't be on them and Poch would be mad to drop them

Frankly, we need Poch to slash and burn, and if some of the Reddit/Twitter crowd have an issue with it, let them complain - because if that also spares us Danny Rose letting yet another attacker past him to score, I'm happy with a few butthurt fans on social media

6. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

As much as it pains me to say it, I personally have lost faith in Pochettino, though I still have faith in Levy/ENIC. Having said that, Pochettino has achieved so much he deserves more time. How much time depends on results, especially CL results.

I'd like few things better than that Pochettino proves me wrong, but ATM, three things stand out to me.

1. A long recent period when he seemed to be anything but positive. The fact is, if seeming positive isn't job one for a manager, it's job 1.5. If someone isn't happy, a change is best for everyone concerned.
    2. Destroying our chances at the league and the CL by bringing back Kane too early, twice. Granted, our chance at the league was in all likelihood an illusion of the time, but our chance at the CL was very much alive until Pochettino decided to play someone who couldn't move normally over one who scored a hat trick to get us to the final. You can't control everything, but you can give your luck a chance by not doing anything especially stupid.
    3. Many managers are successful for a while, then go downhill. Those who rely on working their players harder than most, and do their best work with young players, are especially likely to fit this bill.

7. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Regarding your last point, I agree with the first sentence completely. That is mostly down to luck. If you take 100 bang average managers, 25 will massively out perform in one season, 6 over two seasons and one or two for longer. Poch has done better than expected over at least 10 seasons with various clubs. However he has never faced this particular challenge before and is clearly struggling with it. He deserves a lot more time.

8. donotputinmicrowave

donotputinmicrowave Active Member

The greatest managers have all had to reinvent their teams during their years at respective clubs. Poch would have wanted to begin this process a year ago. He needs the time to do so.

9. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

He needs the Tools to do so too

Currently he’s got a few blunt instruments in his Tool box

Daddy needs to treat him to some more new Tools

10. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think he's lost it, honestly.

Something was badly wrong in the second half of last season and it's continued into this one.
    We haven't beaten an English side away from home in over 9 months.
    Our last two away wins in the league were against sides that were relegated.

Our current league run from Burnley last season is LLDLLWWLWLLDWDLDWLWLD.
    6 wins in 21 games. 24 points from a possible 63. That's appalling. It's not far off relegation form.
    It's not a false position, either. We've looked awful and put in so many poor performances.

If his attitude had looked right and he'd been saying the right things with conviction, then I'd be less concerned.
    Something's looked off for quite some time, though.
    I don't think that he believes that he can do the job at the moment.
    I'm dreading every game.

11. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

It shows how fragile success is in football and how quickly the wheels can come off as a result of a few small changes.
    The best managers anticipate these changes in advance and plan for the future..
    Utd's problem stem back to a lack of planning beyond SAF's final season.
    There have been changes at Spurs that haven't been adequately planned for - but I don't know how much blame lies with Pochettino or elsewhere.
    3 issues stand out:
    1. Generally, the bulk of the squad have been together for 5 years. Players who want out and/or are past their best could have been replaced earlier. The problems with Eriksson, Alderweireld & Rose have been festering for a while.
    2. Dembele has not been adequately replaced - he was the glue holding the team together.
    3. Irrespective of the players available, the style of play/tactics etc haven't evolved to cope with the advancement of Liverpool and City whilst much of the rest of the PL have got stronger too.

12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Some completely vacuous analysis, but some interesting stats.

13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Hence why Ferrgie was brave enough to get rid of backroom staff and top players if required to keep the momentum going at the height of your success

He’s had enough meals with Fergie to know this...I guess a part of him does but we have had 2 barren transfer windows with any possible transfers due to wheelin and dealin the squad as oppose to strengthening the first team and keeping the old boys hungry

14. humanbeingincroydon

In other words, mute the video and skip to the bits Carragher has nothing to do with

15. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Or just watch it with the subtitles off. Same thing, really.

16. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

You know it’s desperate times when Jamie Carragher makes a good point about your club :emoticon-0108-speec

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  17. humanbeingincroydon

Did he say this year was going to be our year?

18. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

No but he made some very good points

19. humanbeingincroydon

This is why I'll always have more faith in Poch than I ever will with anything the Lunatic Fringe suggest...

20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Still a no.