1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Do you remember...

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by sotonsaint, Jan 28, 2013.

1. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

I'm back in Blighty again for a month (We had snow?!?!) and now have a 5 hour train journey to kill so I thought I'd throw this out there...

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing at the time we signed Rickie? I bet none of us thought he would become the player for us he is today!

I'll start us off...

In Paris trying to get the latest football news and could only get Canal + or some channel on the hotel Tv. In the end I had to use my phone for to web browse and I came back home to a very nice phone bill :(

2. sharpshooter11

sharpshooter11 New Member

I was round my Ex Girlfriends and her Dad came in and informed me with the biggest smile i've seen.

3. lallanasleftboot

At home and when it was reported i remember getting very excited

4. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Remember where I was when we signed Keegan. Don't think many of us realised how big a player Rickie would become!

5. Channon walked on H2O

Channon walked on H2O Active Member

Like Lamballana, I clearly remember Keegan, and the re-signing of Saint Michael.

I do remember hearing of Rickie's signing. A Southampton based family member told me on the phone as I was on my way down from Liverpool to watch the Carling Cup tie against Northampton. There were 10,000 in the stadium. Rickie was on the cover of the programme, and scored the first goal. 10,000 Saints fans fell instantly in love with him! I can't imagine any of us thought he'd do more than score the goals that would get us back to the Championship before going off to play for another third tier team. He is Pardew's legacy, and what he achieved under Adkins was just incredible. Mauricio, be warned. Mess with Rickie at your peril!

6. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

I was at home in the summer, eating a sandwich (ham and mayo) with beef hula hoops whilst browsing the web. I had a can of Coke also. Then I read a Bristol fan telling us that Rickie was on his way for a medical.

I immediately text my Dad and we were both pretty chuffed!!

7. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I was in the highfield pub with my dad and did a mini celebration when it was announced on sky sports news.
    I ended up going to that Northampton match on the strength of his signing.

I had no idea how good he actually was, only the knowledge of his goal scoring feats and the fact he was probably the best player in league 1.

I think my excitement was more to do with our sudden turn from broke to rich and the obvious intention shown by the new owners.
    Thank you Markus!

8. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

I was in bed ill on a nice summers day ... needless to say it cheered me up as I was campaigning for him beforehand

9. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

F5ing on 606 I expect

10. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Spluttering coffee over my computer key board which required a new key board.........So a quick trip up to pc world and back 45 minutes later was back on site BBC 606 me thinks!

11. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was at home telling my Dad "I told you so" after he asked me a few days earlier who should Saints sign and I said Rickie Lambert.

12. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I had never heard of him and didn't react. Then everyone else started cheering, so I joined in (like the embarassing person who doesn't get the boss's joke but joins in anyway). Would never have guessed how good he would become. Rickie himself says he knew nothing about diet or fitness till he joined us...Holt said that Rickie used to be slower than the goalies in testing! If he had sorted himself out earlier, he would have got several England caps (but then we wouldn't have had him, so hey ho).

13. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Yep. Had never heard of him, so also didn't react. At the time I was almost certainly out on the Solent. Still remember exactly where I was when Keegan was signed.

14. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I think I remember reading about it on the BBC site, or possibly on 606, which I used to get to via the BBC site anyway. I remember thinking, "that's that fat bloke that knocked us out of the Cup!". Pardew's best signing for us, possibly his best value signing ever? And of course, the player he has become under Nigel Adkins is twice the player he was, despite being considerably lighter.

15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Considering he was a major factor in getting us two promotions with all the money that entails, I would say Rickie must be one of the best value buys ever...even though Nicola had to be convinced to pay 1 mill for him.

16. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

I remember his debut in the cup against (who else) Northampton where he scored, and then his league debut on that uncovered stand at Swindon. He only had about 1 shot and we lost 1-0, Pardew waited until the last 10 mins to make a sub for some reason.

17. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

When did you sign Rick?

18. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I remember thinking "is that the bloke that knocked us out the cup with that deflected free-kick?"

19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I think it was August 2009 Lapras... first thing Pardew did.

20. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I was at work and I didn't react as I didn't know initially who he was. Then I realised he was that 'fat bloke who knocked us out of the cup'. I was underwhelmed. A couple of weeks later I remember learning the song thinking 'yeah right - Premier league whatever'.

Let's hope I am underwhelmed more often....

He must go down as the best £1m ever spent by the club.