1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Do we walk the talk?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Oct 25, 2022.

1. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

yep, agree. In every walk of life, talent is being discarded to meet these modern metrics. Talent to do what you want that person to do should be the only thing you judge anybody on. That’s not to dismiss concerns about bias which is wrong.

Diego and Zanjinho like this.
  2. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

The problem is that some people who may be qualified are being overlooked because of the current system. Regardless of sex or race. We've all seen it, manager gets sacked club puts fat Sam in place is a great example, other options are disregarded. If there's a system in place that the club has to adhere to then this stops this old boy culture and gives opportunity to everyone.

3. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

makes sense as long as it doesn’t head into positive discrimination. Frankly, any leader, anywhere. Should be looking for the most talented people to work for them. I’m astounded that they still don’t tbh.

Zanjinho and luvgonzo like this.
  4. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

It is mind blowing.

5. Turbia Milk

Turbia Milk Well-Known Member

... Or do the right domestic managers never get a chance because Premier League always poach managers who have already established themselves in other leagues?

Fergie was domestic, and did all right. What I see likely happening if this were done in all honesty, is clubs having figure head managers to meet the rules, but the best international coaches coming in and really pulling the strings as ghost-managers behind the scenes.

Example: Gerrard named manager, but it's really Klopp doing all the managerial duties behind the scenes and the real head.

6. moreinjuredthanowen

I've sat in room with various people who were from yankland of different ethnicities when senior leadership had global town Hall and those leaders stood up and said they had the most diverse board ever.

One Spanish male, one white female. 16 white male.

It went down like a tonne of bricks with those in the room of a few groups and the white males didn't notice. It was fun being on the outside watching tbh.

Never underestimate what we don't see ourselves but others do.

Black players of all ages who don't make it, make it or are stars don't see things like us.

7. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

There aren't many black officials (7 out of 254 across the PL and EFL). There aren't many black goalkeepers (15 out of 300 across the 92 PL and EFL first team squads). I think there's a case to be made for role models and mentors. Maybe black players are put off becoming coaches because of the lack of role models thinking that if there aren't the same opportunities for them then it would be a waste of time
    .Young black boys don't have a lot to choose from in terms of emulating goalkeepers of their own colour. It's one of those conundrums where until more people of colour take the risk/step/chance, however they choose to view it, things will stay the same.

I'd like to see positive action like the Kick it Out organisation or similar, introducing a mentoring programme for black players who want to go into management, coaching or sports medicine. Flood the UEFA licence programme, for instance, with black applicants so that so many qualify that it has a real chance of making a difference in outcomes.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

It.might not affect the successful lads but the cost of pro license in England is multiples of what it is in Europe.

But in the end if you look at the lfc staff profile pages it does say Vieira has a point.

I've not looked at other clubs staff profiles so don't know

9. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

We’ll, I’m all for equality of everything. It means that if everyone is treated equally, the best people will get hired for the right jobs.

10. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Not necessarily but there is more chance of the right people being employed based on qualification, experience and ability and it would make sense that more of those people turn out to be women asks ethnic majorities so that the percentage makes more sense.

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING likes this.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

So are you agreeing the first step might well be offering scholarships for sports analysis, physiotherapy courses or offering free coaching badges?

The company I used to work for was 35% women in roles and the current one probably about the same. The roles above however.... Still not.

I had one associate director that was not to be crossed as men talked over her on calls and it drove her bat **** crazy. In person they'd not dare. The fact was she had that confidence issue for being the minority at the level.

Due respect required. I can tell you I never crossed her cos I was in the room silently watch her fume.

12. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I'd imagine the majority do. Most clubs are run by a committee of multiple people. They're not mutually agreeing to be racist imo

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  13. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

There has to be a qualification. Teachers need a teaching degree for example and cannot teach without one. Once you have the basic qualification for a coach, physio or whatever you can then build on that with further qualifications and experience.

What's just as important though it's that any role is offered to everyone who is qualified.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  14. moreinjuredthanowen

No but they are a comfortable echo chamber.

More views and more diversity means better ideas according to the latest thinking.

Having everyone at the table being totally awesome and all the same profile means group think. Having slightly less awesome people of different profiles may mean even better ideas and different directions taken.

Or not.

15. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

None of this will happen though the club's are too rich and too scared.

16. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

We're talking about billionaires wanting to run a football club as a business. They appoint who they feel is the best person for the job to make them even more money

17. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

This is a break down of ethnicities I took from the government websites when you look at combinations of Asian compared to Black why is there this specific targeting of lack of black coaches. From what I’ve seen I’ve the last 45 years on the UK it’s the lack of British Asian players that is the biggest standout. Same as I’ve observed in Rugby League / Rugby Union etc.

There was a program on bbc2 the other night about the late great Clive Sullivan ( played for both Hull Clubs) but before him which I think they should make a program about is Roy Francis. A black coach in Rugby league . The program about Clive highlighted why black Welsh rugby union players went North. Welsh Rugby basically said if you’re black you’ll never play for Wales
    778F23CD-3572-47FB-8E2D-4218E7A9FB9A.png

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    johnsonsbaby and Turbia Milk like this.
  18. Turbia Milk

Turbia Milk Well-Known Member

I've always pointed out that British TV (at least what is available to overseas audiences) makes it look like Britain has a much larger black population than Asian. Black actors probably outnumber Asians 10 to 1 (at least on the shows that make it across the Atlantic to me).

Someone reasonably explained it to me as that being more representative of London area population numbers where most TV is filmed. I'm sure they're right but it does make raise an eyebrow. They're the silent demographic that often gets overlooked and ignored when talking about racial disparity.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  19. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

This is very true, Asians are massively under represented in the media.

A mate if mine asked me to give an example of an Asian on TV or film that wasn't a doctor or a taxi driver.

i could only think of the lad on coranation street and at the time i think he owned the corner shop!

Fair few years ago, but I don't think much has changed

20. moreinjuredthanowen

So does elon musk and Tim Cook. That doesn't mean they don't seek diversity.