1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Do we have faith in the board?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by SaintinNZ, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

2. St.Jerome

St.Jerome Active Member

I like Jokanovic and was hoping he would come here before Puel, not sure how he'd fair with a relegation battle though.

3. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Pearson is a like a poor man's Allardyce. No-one really wants him as a manager unless you're really in the ****e, in which case you want him badly.

I thought the way he set the team up when we'd gone down to ten men against Sheff Utd to gain that win was the sign of a pragmatist. There we were 3-2 up in a must win game with about 10 minutes to go. And unusually I wasn't worried because the team seemed to know how to stop them coming near our goal. I'd settle for that again.

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

Can you give any indication of where it might have come from without putting them at risk obviously.

5. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

A journalist. So take it with a pinch of salt, but hes called things to me before. (Non saints related)

Cowtownred and Libby like this.
  6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Let’s be honest here. Why fans were getting their knickers in a twist over Ralph saying they back MP2, I don’t know.

What else would they say, “He’s got two weeks?”

7. Libby

Libby 9-0

I said at the time it could be the classic 'vote of confidence' which really means one more bad result and it's bye.

manxsaint and fatletiss like this.
  8. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Well that's pretty much what we did with Puel.

9. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

If we sack him after Watford, then we've just wasted a two week window which could have helped us greatly. They have made a pigs ear of this what ever they do now. Obviously I'm pretty confident he's not going to go on a seven game unbeaten run & change everything I think I know about him. Average is a compliment.

redandwight and manxsaint like this.
  10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Let’s at least wait until we see what they do before we declare a pigs ear. I’m not saying they will do something good now, but I never think it right to slag off until the time is up.

11. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Every time I go to type, something negative comes out. Got a football shaped cloud hanging over me at the minute. Might have to invoke a forum sabbatical for a few weeks.

SaintinNZ likes this.
  12. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Fantastic article. So much I agree with and I have noted much of what he writes about. These quotes are at the heart of my dissatisfaction at the moment. These are the reasons I have enjoyed so many of our seasons since promotion and now feel let down by the senior leadership.

Do the first team still play “good football”, or even with an easily recognisable style that matched the stated philosophy of the club? No. While we have established that there is no “right” way of playing, no team playing good football could be 17th in the league and averaging under a goal a game.

Do we still promote excellent young players to the first team? Not really. Where before we might field a starting XI featuring as many as four home-grown teenagers, we now loan out or simply ignore players of 21 or older who have already indicated that they can excel against Premier League opposition.

13. Libby

Libby 9-0

Who are these players over 21 who have indicated they can excel against Premier League opposition that we are ignoring exactly?

14. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Good.

**** him off and let’s get on with the new person.

Libby likes this.
  15. SaintinNZ

Merely highlighting one of the good things I thought the club represented previously and wish they would again. What happened to the 'we don't loan players out' and the goal of 'half the squad being academy graduates'? Its a valid question I think.

I could support a team of academy graduates languishing in 17th and facing relegation a lot easier than I could support a team of highly regarded international players bought in at great expense.

ImpSaint likes this.
  16. Libby

Libby 9-0

That's fair enough though I always thought the half the team from the academy while challenging the top clubs bollocks was simply that, bollocks. Anyway different debate that.

I was just questioning the accuracy of the part of the article you pulled as I can't think of a single player who fits the description there.

17. SaintinNZ

I guess it's what your expectation is? I'm not thinking we will bring out Bale or Walcott or Ox this season but we had good results last season with Josh Sims and Stephens stepping up. I've always rated Reed too. The main issue I agreed with in the article is that when you are buying in Clasie's, Bednareks, Martina's you're padding out the squad with filler who block the way for the Academy grads. There's always a case for buying in a Hoedt and Lemina to replace first team sales.

SaintsFan86 likes this.
  18. St.Jerome

St.Jerome Active Member

The board are in this for money, the fans for passion. And like a prostitute and her client, we both get ****ed.

I honestly used to think that the relationship was different and, for a time it was. I miss Markus :emoticon-0106-cryin

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  19. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

20. redandwight

redandwight Active Member

Sounds a bit like "Kats" leaving a sinking ship!