1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Do we have any music fans on this board?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Owld Feller, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

We went to see Bob Dylan at Cannes knowing what it would be like, but had to go.

There are much better acts but none with his legacy.

2. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

I have seen Dylan a few times and thought he was brilliant each time, but I can see why people don't enjoy his concerts (my wife hates his live performances).

He has some the best musicians going as his touring band, but refuses to play the songs in the same way twice. He quite rightly says they are his songs and he will do what he wants with them.

There is a good interview with GE Smith on YouTube, about his audition and being in Dylan's touring band, how the musicians had to watch him all the time because they never knew what he was going to do next.

3. Neil

Neil Well-Known Member

I've got a mate who's a big Dylan fan. He went to see him a few years ago, and said he was playing a game with whoever he'd gone with, of seeing who could be the first person to name each song. Sometimes they'd get through half the song before they'd recognise a lyric, but the tunes would often be completely unrecognisable from the originals.

Montysoptician and Smug in Boots like this.
  4. Smug in Boots

I've found myself going back to Dylans 'version' of his own songs, after listening to a cover, and liking them more.

It's also funny when people say he's 'rubbish' then praise Adele's latest song, not realising who wrote it.

Montysoptician likes this.
  5. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

Same, I seen him once at the Arena in Newcastle and he didn't come out from behind his keyboard. I tried to write the set list (sad bastard, I know) but missed a couple and had to wait until it was published a few weeks later.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  6. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Yes. Eclectic? Spotify has no idea what to recommend to me.

7. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Brilliant songwriter; terrible singer. Might see him live just to say I have, but I suspect I'd spend half the gig in the bar...

marcusblackcat likes this.
  8. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Nick Cave, just him and his piano Thursday night one off stream from Alexandria palace. Going to be phenomenal.

The acoustics when he plays this is going to be out of this world

16 quid like. I'd pay double. But then I've paid 80 quid to see him next year too. <laugh>

halfman, MrRAWhite and Smug in Boots like this.
  9. Smug in Boots

£16, bargain.

Underrated and unknown to many people.

Brian Storm and MrRAWhite like this.
  10. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Off to see 1977 at the outside stage at the Schooner in Gateshead this Sunday evening. Looks like the only north east venue around at the moment.

11. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Beautifully spiritual while also catering to the dark side we all have deep in us. It's rare combo and has left me boardering on being a fanatical fan.

He's a megastar in a very private club. Seen him twice and consider myself extremely privileged. But not as privileged as I know I'll feel after the next gig. His latest album Ghosteen was recorded after the death of his teenage son. It's spiritual, heartwarming and humbling but such joy, love and light emerges from it. It feels it like you're an intruder who has been caught but then offered hospitality.

Anybody who has a bit of time I recommend blazing up a couple of splifs, lower the lights, wack on the head phones and turn it up

Montysoptician and Smug in Boots like this.
  12. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

I adore most of Wagners music, I've had the pleasure of watching the whole of The Ring .
    I've been a Johnny Cash fan since the late 50's and own a few of this original Sun Record LP's.
    Add to thes, --
    Gilbert and Sulivan
    Queen
    Elgar
    Joan Beaz
    Lerner and Lowe musicals
    Rodgers and Hammerstien musicals
    Dolly Parton
    The Proms
    Willie Nelson.
    Noel Coward
    Frank Sinatra

However, Classical Music people seen to consider me something of a Phillistine while I'm apparently 'highbrow' according to Rock and Pop Fans.
    Most Country music people finf nothing odd about my tastes though!

13. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

Nowt wrong with listening to what you want.

Growing up I loved AC/DC. Still do. My favourite band ever is Rush. For the last couple of weeks at home I’ve been playing a lot of Motörhead, Dio and Rainbow. Yet in the car I almost exclusively listen to ABC Classic FM.
    I love the English and Scandinavian composers; Elgar, Holst, Ralph Vaughn Williams, Purcell on the English side, Grieg and Sibelius on the Scandinavian one. Me and the wife had booked tickets for a Rodgers and Hammerstein concert and an Australian Last Night Of The Proms. Covid-19 put paid to R&H but LNOTP is still on in October. Every year the City of Perth put on a free open air opera, last year was La Traviata. Didn’t understand a word of it but still an enjoyable evening sat on the foreshore with a picnic and a couple of beers.
    I listen to stuff now that I thought was utter ****e growing up and vice versa. I always remember persuading my mam and dad to buy me an AC/DC album in HMV for my thirteenth birthday. It was their first live one with Angus Young with his guitar sticking in his chest with blood everywhere on the front. My mam and dad honestly thought that I was on a one way trip to a life of drugs and prison. I became a cop instead!
    I guess if you like it, it doesn’t matter what others think.

Neil and Montysoptician like this.
  14. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

I only quoted what other think because it amuses me.

Some though, and I'm thinking mainly of the 'Classical' types, feel that I have no right to appreciate THEIR music, and Queen and Johnny Cash.

It's hard, but I have learned to live with this.:emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0105-wink:

15. Conspiracy Theorist

Conspiracy Theorist Well-Known Member

One of my fav venues to play, always a an excellent and receptive crowd - sadly I've only played there a couple of times.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  16. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Me too! Great gig though isn’t it! I’m trying to find out where we stand with gigs as the venues aren’t exactly receptive

Conspiracy Theorist likes this.
  17. Conspiracy Theorist

Conspiracy Theorist Well-Known Member

Taking everything into consideration, I've decided to wait until it's 100% safe to gig, I'd never forgive myself if I booked a gig and one of my band mates become ill, besides that the vocalist in my one of my trio sprays saliva droplets like a bloody fountain when singing, albeit, in the past getting a bit wet has never bothered me...

I was asked to play last weekend in a pub garden with a reduced fee (quite understandable tbf) I reckon it'll be the 2021 before I start gigging, we have a few weddings booked for next year.

18. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

love a bit of Northern soul

halfman likes this.
  19. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

20. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely this! Lyrically and musically genius without doubt. But I went to see him at the arena and was bored and spent most of the night getting drunk! I love his songs (most of them) just not when he or Adele sing them!!