1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Distancing special - what are you eating tonight?

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Mar 21, 2020.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I have just read this thread all the way through with great enjoyment, many thanks to all contributors.

Cooking question - how do you roast topside so it ends up nice, ie tender with some pink in the middle? I have never succeeded, and end up going for brisket and slow roasting for an age (cheap and delicious) or rib of beef (expensive and delicious). Topside always comes out a bit grey and leathery for me. Might be that we have a hot oven.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  2. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Try this...

www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-cook-topside-beef/amp

sb_73 likes this.
  3. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I take the meat out of the refrigerator when I get up in the morning. That way it's at room temperature and relaxed when it comes to cooking it. I massage it with olive oil and dust it all over with mustard powder, and add a little rosemary and thyme and a couple of crushed garlic cloves. It then goes into the oven in a large casserole dish ( lid on ) on full whack ( 240 degrees electric fan ) for twenty minutes. This gets the heat into the centre of the meat.

After twenty minutes, I turn the oven down to 180 and cook the meat for twenty minutes per 500g, turning it halfway through cooking. I then use a skewer and stick it into the centre of the joint for a minute to check the temperature and the colour of the juices. If I'm satisfied with those I incubate the joint in two layers of foil and a tea towel for at least half an hour.

This usually works for me with whatever cut I use, including a leg of lamb. Sometimes you get a bad cut of meat, and there's not a lot that you can do about that. We've recently had silverside for a couple of weeks from Sainsbury's that's been very moist and tender.

Ninj, WBA2_QPR3, Steelmonkey and 2 others like this.
  4. Steelmonkey

Had a go at this tonight...

20210527_184507.jpg

Very tasty - heeded your warning, so added extra fresh chillies, ground up cardomom seeds and also put in some fenugreek - seemed to do the trick.

Made a couple of different raita and some spiced onions to go with the naan breads, and of course Irn Bru to wash it all down!

Ninj and Hoop-Leif like this.
  5. Hoop-Leif

Hoop-Leif Well-Known Member

That looks fabulous Steels.

Not long had dinner but that's making me peckish again already!

( irn Bru just added to shopping list for tomorrow )

Steelmonkey likes this.
  6. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Spaghetti Vongole tonight, I did it with a tomato and vodka sauce. My own recipe. Olive oil and garlic, reduced with a dry white wine ( Pinot Grigio. ) Throw in half a dozen piccobella tomatoes, reduce. Cook the clams, add the sauce the spaghetti and the the clams. Throw in a shot of vodka and parsley and you have a clean authentic plate of Campania. Kind of, I'm sure they'd love it. It's a simple dish, but the key to it is mixing the starchiness of the well salted water and mixing it with the pasta sauce. Oh, and adding an unsalted knob of butter to the sauce.

I like taking authentic Italian recipes and adding my own twist. This one is from the south west region of Italy. The traditional recipe uses mild chillies that my wife isn't keen on, hence the adjustments.

This guy is good at teaching basic classic Italian dishes ... He's spaghetti carbonara is something else!

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Had the paella again
    B9B3B347-7BAC-4F9E-9491-4F710FCB9902.jpeg
    it’s really excellent, now my meal for when we have guests.Not that we do tonight.

Paired with a Sancerre this evening, very tasty.

8. Hoop-Leif

Quick, simple roasting tin dinner tonight.

Roasted potatoes, chorizo, onion and coriander with warm tortillas and lashings of sour cream.

Not many ingredients in this one but very tasty nonetheless.

Screenshot_20210529-212129_Gallery.jpg

9. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

My grandson who works in New Covent Garden Market brought home some pineberries which are like white strawberries in appearance but have a pineapple flavour. Had some with strawberries, blueberries, Cornish ice cream with chocolate sauce, an amazingly moreish mix...

10. Hoop-Leif

Really want to try the bengali mustard fish recipe from the Roasting Tin book.

Try as I might, I have failed to find any retailers locally ( or online ) that sells bona fide Bengali Mustard.

Just wondering if any posters on this fabulous thread had either come across it before or had any idea where I may be able to obtain some?

Thanking you.

Steelmonkey likes this.

11. Steelmonkey

Give this a go...

HOW TO MAKE BENGALI PANCH PHORAN SPICE
    October 3, 2018 by Ashima 4 Comments

Print Recipe Jump to Recipe
    Panch Phoran (aslo called Panch Phoron) is an Indian whole Spice blend which is a mix of cumin seeds, nigella seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, and fenugreek seeds.

please log in to view this image

Panch Phoran literally translates to 5 spices. While most Indian spice blends, like garam masala, are made by dry roasting whole spices and then grinding; panch phoran is very simple. Just mix the 5 whole spices and store it in an air-tight bottle ready for action, when a recipe calls for them.

THE 5 SPICES THAT MAKE UP PANCH PHORAN SPICE MIX
    please log in to view this image

1. Cumin Seeds: Known as zeera in Hindi, cumin is a common seasoning and flavor agent in many cuisines. It is used both as a whole and as a ground spice. Cumin helps improves digestion and also clearing phlegm and mucus.
    2. Fennel Seeds: Known as saunf in Hindi, fennel has an anise-like flavor and is a commonly used as a mouth freshener. It is used both as whole seed as well as a powdered spice in recipes. It is a digestive aid and also a good source of fiber.
    3. Fenugreek Seeds: Known as methi dana in Hindi, fenugreek seeds help control diabetes, cure constipation, and reduce menstrual pain. Fenugreek seeds are usually used as whole seeds in tempering. Another common way to consume fenugreek seeds is by sprouting them.
    4. Mustard Seeds: Known as rai in Hindi, mustard seeds help in controlling diabetes and cholesterol levels. They are also mostly used as whole spices in tempering.
    5. Nigella Seeds: Known as >em>kalongi in Hindi, nigella seeds boost memory and help cure diarrhea. They are used as whole seeds for tempering and also in making traditional Indian pickles.
    Panch Phoran is commonly used for tempering in the cuisines of Eastern India, Bangladesh, and Southern Nepal. When used for tempering, these spices add a rich aroma and infuse the oil or ghee with a depth of flavor that dry spices cannot add. To use, simply add them to the pan once the oil or ghee is hot. As the seeds sputter they infuse the oil with their aroma, which becomes the first layer of flavor for the curry. After the tempering, the base vegetables of the dish are added to the oil like in this Panch Phoran Baingan recipe.

Bengali and other cuisines of the region often use mustard oil for cooking. When paired with mustard oil, panch phoran spice mix enhances the nuttiness of the oil. Traditionally in Indian cuisine, we use panch phoran spice for tempering as the first step of cooking a curry, but you can also use the tempered oil as a dressing for yogurt dips and salads. While it is difficult to pinpoint the taste to one word, the predominant taste of the tempered oil for me is more anise-like. This might be because of the 5 spices used in the blend, fennel seeds have the strongest taste.

If you like to make your own spice mixes, please take a moment to rate the recipe below and/ or leave your thoughts. It will really encourage me to keep improving and trying newer things.

Hoop-Leif likes this.
  12. Hoop-Leif

Cheers steels, that may be the closest to it.

I'll give it a go :emoticon-0148-yes:

Steelmonkey likes this.
  13. Hoop-Leif

After an exhaustingly hot day at Drayton Manor with Noah and the family I threw this together tonight (minus the prawns), accompanied with a nice red.

Really good this, the saffron (plenty of) really enhances the dish. Another thumbs up for the Roasting Tin.

Screenshot_20210604-222712_Gallery.jpg

14. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Standard Saturday night....chicken enchalatos from local butcher with fries.......

But main thing we had a Riesling from the Mosel, surprisingly sweet but then developed a flint aftertaste and only 10.5% alcohol.... perfect for summer quaffing....
    German wines are so underrated....

sb_73 and Steelmonkey like this.
  15. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Did the tandoori chicken tonight. While it’s not tandoori chicken (you’d need a tandoor oven for that) it is exceptionally tasty. Another win for the Roasting Tin.

Naturally made it a bit (ok a lot) hotter than the recipe suggests and used coriander instead of mint.

SW Ranger, Hoop-Leif and Steelmonkey like this.
  16. Steelmonkey

Mrs made McLasagne last night, a first for us....basically a lasagne, with sliced tatties instead of pasta sheets and fresh tomatoes between the layers instead of a sauce - ****ing yummy. Washed down with.....Irn Bru of course!

SW Ranger, sb_73 and Hoop-Leif like this.
  17. Hoop-Leif

Tom Kerridges 'Pub In The Park' this weekend in Warwick.

You going Sb?

Steelmonkey likes this.
  18. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Not this year, other stuff on, and not sure how this is going to work in practice, there’s a bit of a COVID spike going on round here at the moment, this new variant does seem very easily transmitted.

Would recommend these though, especially for the food and drink.

19. Hoop-Leif

Did wonder that myself. Think I'll be waiting until next year.

20. Steelmonkey

Mrs Steels recently bought an air-fryer, **** knows why. Cooked chips in it a few times (I'm not a big fan of chips at the best of times) and they were nothing special, so thought it was just going to.be another gadget gathering dust in the corner of the kitchen.

My workmate has one, and told.me to start cooking my meat in - rub a marinade onto some chicken, pork, lamb etc and chuck it in - wow! Cooks the meat beautifully, nice crisp skin/rind, really tender and juicy flesh. Pork chops are sensational.

Made some crsipy chicken burgers from Aldi tonight whilst watching the football - fantastic.

Hoop-Leif likes this.