1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Disposable Income

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by TheCasual, Aug 17, 2023.

1. Nikica Jellyfish

Nikica Jellyfish Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely not financial advice just a personal anecdote…

it’s all secured with the bank and paying large chunks monthly only two years left. Strangely from them poor decisions as a youngster I’ve ended up with a good credit score and an appreciation for taking more care in the future.

I’m lucky that the company I work for have an excellent pension scheme and I’m also in the company share scheme so hopefully the right building blocks are in place.

Gone For A Walk and Howdentiger2 like this.
  2. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

Much like anyone else on here and in life in general.Good times and bad times,not much at the moment but stretch it well and whenever I am flush I take care of my wife,kids and grandkids.

I don't spend anything on bringing in DIY 'experts'(Electrician and plumber if required on occasion).A lot of cowboys out there nowadays who charge like wounded rhino's..**** that!!Costa Coffee,bollox to that,I can buy a jar of nescafe gold and boil a kettle.

I make sure the rest of the Family are O.K and when that's done I'll get myself on a train to a City game,fill myself with ale and treat myself to fish,chips and scraps...

As others have rightly said,kids and grandkids can be entertained for very little if you have the time,patience and knowhow...

3. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

I used to like you howden you’re a bit of a **** now

TwoWrights, rovertiger, FLG and 2 others like this.
  4. Nikica Jellyfish

Nikica Jellyfish Well-Known Member

I’m convinced the long term benefits of natural cold water exposure are as good as anything you can do for yourself.

Cayton Bay and Scarborough North Bay usually, Cayton Bay in particular is breathtaking, right on our doorstep and as good as any beach I’ve been to.

Howdentiger2 and Chazz Rheinhold like this.
  5. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Well-Known Member

Disposable income? What’s that?

Edelman likes this.
  6. Chazz Rheinhold

It’s beautiful isn’t it cayton
    Always have a walk on there when I go up to scarbados

7. Howdentiger2

Howdentiger2 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it took you so long to realise tbf haha

rovertiger and Chazz Rheinhold like this.
  8. Howdentiger2

I used to hate ice baths until about 5/10mins after I got out, then I felt great.

Nikica Jellyfish likes this.
  9. eimaj

eimaj Well-Known Member

Out in the sticks (West Hull Village)

We did, although most of our evenings were typically spent at Huntington or Newport as they're both pretty closer to where we were staying, so easier to get to after work. Which confused the hell out of the kids to begin with, as the Grandparents also live in Newport (just the East Yorkshire village variant).

Chazz Rheinhold and Howdentiger2 like this.
  10. Chazz Rheinhold

Ha
    Was you in the aerospace industry? Most lads from England seemed to be when I went there
    Ye went round Huntington and Newport too
    All great places to go and so much to do

11. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

Kite surfing has been on my radar for years, just need someone else willing to put the time in to travel and get good at it.

I’m all into adventure sports, mountaineering, kayaking/paddleboarding, scrambling, rock climbing etc. Best thing is after the initial purchase of equipment the ongoing cost of these sorts of hobbies is generally **** all.

12. eimaj

eimaj Well-Known Member

Nah, that was the generation before me, but I've heard some stories! I worked for a startup that Amazon acquired back in 2017, so I was travelling at "Uncle Jeff's" pleasure and working out of one of their, ill-fated, game studios.

Howdentiger2 and Chazz Rheinhold like this.
  13. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

I chose time at work and money over spending enough time with my first born, which is one of my few regrets and carry some residual guilt about it. Scaled it back and stayed in international waters for my two younger ones as realised it was the way forward. Had a nice pension fund and some investments and was looking to retire/go into consultancy in my mid to late 50s. Took a risk in 2018, cashed in the pension and investments to start a business and ****! Covid happened... All gone, well, pennies back from the pound. Wasn't an established business, so no covid payments, but well over half a million spent on infrastructure and tech and conscience meant I covered 6 employees a year salary redundancy payment. **** happens.

Like an ant, back to working and building a pile, probably lost a decade of early retirement and turned me grey.. my children being there got me through it and as Gary writes, no money worth the missed time.

14. Gone For A Walk

Gone For A Walk Well-Known Member

You'll likely know, or at least come across, one of my friends & ex-work mates - the guy who now owns the north bay surf shop. Really good bloke who's done a great job with that business, including doing a lot for good causes.

15. Chazz Rheinhold

I think all dads regret working too much and missing their kids growing up because of it

16. eimaj

eimaj Well-Known Member

+1. I was working 60 hour weeks when my youngest was little. 9 hours in the office, coming home, eating, doing a couple more hours in the evening by which time she was asleep. I didn't see the best part of her first 3 years. Which I regret.

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  17. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I used to spend around 20% of the year outside the UK when my kids were little, but I was lucky, as I was the boss and as soon as they were old enough, I started taking them with me. I never took them on Far East buying trips, but they got to go to trade shows, New York twice a year, Vegas twice a year, regular trips to Barcelona and Berlin etc.

Ironically, I'm actually working more now, than I ever have previously. I generally start work about 7.00am and finish around 6.00pm and I often do some work at weekends as well. I enjoy it though, so it's not really an issue, other than the missus nags me all the time about retiring.

Howdentiger2 likes this.
  18. Howdentiger2

I don't know about you, but I enjoy my job that much it doesn't really seem like working anyway.

Bet the kids loved that growing up and seeing those places

originallambrettaman likes this.
  19. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

It's a necessary evil though Chazz,we needed the money to make ends meet.We worked longer hours to provide them with everything they needed,they know and appreciate that.

I missed a lot of my children's growing up years (by the time I got home they were fed, bathed and tucked up)but I've no regrets at all,I'd do it all over again if I had to.

20. cheshireles

cheshireles Well-Known Member

Have you thought about working 3-4 hours a day and just spending less time on here? :1980_boogie_down: