1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Difficult subject ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Believing in an afterlife doesn't automatically mean you go out slaughtering people or are a Muslim.

Nor does it mean you have to engage in religious wars.

I was responding to your comment about @gelders pie and his beliefs ...

... I, perhaps wrongly, assumed that he's neither a Muslim, a terrorist or engages in religious wars.

2. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Your assumption was correct. Thanks for this post , saved me having to say it .

3. Smug in Boots

Well, 2 out of 3 isn't bad <laugh>

4. gelders pie

Sorry mate, you've lost me with that -or am I just being thick ?

5. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

To me, a fear and rejection of religion and the associated convictions is a sign of weakness and closed-mindedness. It suggests to me that someone is fearful of concepts beyond their understanding and even that they fear that there may be some truth in what those with religious belief say. I believe it displays closed-mindedness because they are unwilling to accept a concept that they don't like and are determined to reject any notion that any of it may be true. Remember, the universe is so complicated that there are things that happen out there that even astro-physicists currently have no explanation for other than theology.

You're right, many wars have been fought because of religion, but in almost every case it is because someone has taken the teachings or message of the religions in question and twisted them to justify their own means. What about the millions upon millions of people for whom religion is a massive positive force in their lives?

gelders pie likes this.
  6. Smug in Boots

Nah its me mate, I thought that joke might be a bit too abstract.

I'd mentioned that you weren't a Muslim, terrorist or engaged in religious warfare ...

... hence the 2 out of 3 crack.

It's even less funny now I've explained it and that takes some doing.

7. Owld Feller

Owld Feller Well-Known Member

Contempt for them and pity for those of their adherents, who believe that they must live strictly within their tenets would, more accurately, sum up my view.

8. Smug in Boots

Contempt and pity eh ...

... even as a non-believer that's quite an attitude to carry around.

9. gelders pie

Righto, I see, one of those it would have worked standing in the pub, but didn’t carry as words on paper !

Smug in Boots likes this.
  10. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

So what is there to be contemptuous of? That these people have chosen to live their lives according to a particular set of values? That they believe in a concept that you can't, or don't want to, understand?
    What is there to pity? Most people who are allowed to freely practice moderate versions of their religion that I have met are amongst the happiest and most level headed that I've come across.

11. Smug in Boots

Dying, after a lifetime as a non believer, to find there's an afterlife would come as a bit of a shock <laugh>

Nacho and Conspiracy Theorist like this.
  12. gelders pie

Or , as I understand it , a very pleasing surprise !

Conspiracy Theorist likes this.
  13. Conspiracy Theorist

Conspiracy Theorist Well-Known Member

Probably why the concept of a Catholic Purgatory scared the 'bejezus' out of me ...:angel:

gelders pie and Smug in Boots like this.
  14. Owld Feller

Let's just say I cannot understand those who are so insecure in themselves that they need to believe in a greater being which has been promoted, over the centuries, with rules by those only interested in furthering their own powers

That appliers to every religion and its followers, irrespective of the names under which they identify.

Interesting, I think, that the more educated the populations become the less importance religion appears to matter in their lives, other than as a habit or superstition, in the same way as people avoid doing certain things because they feel they can cause 'bad luck'.

I can remember a Bishop of Durham (Jenkins?) even saying that he didn't believe in God, whilst remaining happy to pontificate whilst receiving his stipend and the perks of his office!

Surely far better to live by a code of morals/ethics without involving the need for a mythical deity?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    rooch 3 likes this.
  15. Smug in Boots

"Surely far better to live by a code of morals/ethics without involving the need for a mythical deity?"

I can multi task and do both <laugh>

Seriously mate, I've worked for the church/Salvation Army and seen all kinds of 'highly educated' and 'secure' people completely lose it when something, out of their control, has happened and their education and moral code can't help them.

They'd all thought they were totally secure and in control, its easy to believe that's the case when things are going your way.

I don't have contempt for them or feel the need to mock them ...

... I help them because of my morals and ethics but also because of my faith.

That doesn't make me better than you but it certainly doesn't make me worse.

16. Owld Feller

I've never attempted to 'mock' anyone on this subject, only to reveal my thoughts.

People can believe and say what they wish, just as I can compartmentalise them as I wish to.

Please don't attempt to say that you don't judge people on what they say and do, because I won't believe you, as everyone forms their opinion of others based on that information.

Are you now, though, attempting to suggest that only their 'faith' in a greater power than themselves allowed them to cope/come through their problems and that their personal inner strength/resolve had nothing to do with them doing that?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  17. Smug in Boots

In which case I apologise.

I thought you were being condescending but things, on a forum, don't always come across as you mean them.

18. Owld Feller

No problems.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  19. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

I don't believe in religion, at all. I don't think it's weakness to follow religion, my personal view is that it's a bit childish and silly to do so, but if it gives people comfort when the big sleep approaches, good for them.

rooch 3 likes this.
  20. SAFCY

SAFCY Guest

Happy Christmas