1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Difficult subject ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

We are all allowed our views. For me though there is no such thing as a spirit that lives on. Once I’m dead, I’m dead. I may remain in others memories as a thought from time to time but that’ll be it.

Saf and cumbrianmackem like this.
  2. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

We are indeed and I totally respect yours . I would just say though that mine is much more than just a view.

3. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

It's such a difficult question to answer isn't it - who know's what is around the corner. I hope I die of old age - fall asleep one night and never wake up. Not put my kids through any unnecessary pain. As a type 1 diabetic, that is unlikely, and add to that heart disease running in my family (and the massively increased risk of it due to my diabetes) then chances are I'll be gone way before the normal life expectancy of people my age.

I'd like to think my amazing wife and 2 fantastic kids would be on my mind - I truly hope that's the way it is.

4. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I don't look at it that way tbh mate.

I'm 64 and didn't expect to make it out of my younger days. I'd taken loads of daft risks, come off various motorbikes, did 11 years on the doors, etc.

I've also been shot at and stabbed at work ...

... that's why I stopped teaching <laugh>

Seriously I enjoy my life and its all a bonus but I've had a few years to contemplate it all. I quite enjoy the notion that I'm sorted in my mind.

Songs are chosen, wake paid for and my priceless collection of Sunderland mugs allocated ...
    ... the grandkids will be so thrilled.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Whittylad and cumbrianmackem like this.
  5. Jack Ford

Jack Ford Well-Known Member

It would probably be my Mrs, she is a couple of years older than me but her health is not that good. Mentally she is more than able to cope I reckon but physically it will present problems being left alone, also thoughts will be with my only daughter and 93 year old mother who is still alive and independant at moment.

I've told Mrs I want a Direct Funeral, no fuss. (In life I have always hated fuss). I do not believe in after life etc etc

I've not stated this in my will though and am not sure she will bide by it.When I talked to her about it she did not appear to be to keen on idea. Have not yet told daughter of my wishes

Saf and Smug in Boots like this.
  6. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

went on holiday to Allendale about 33 years ago lovely place, nice country walks and shops.

7. one gary owers

one gary owers Well-Known Member

Reiver what a topic have unearthed here

when Cancer hits you have to put things in order. I got the news 6 years ago but fortunately I was -BRF rand could take Venurafanib to extent my life but while it keeps me alive it also makes me weak so hire a mobility scooter when all the family go on hol,twice a year 12 of us this year hopefully 13 next year. It's the grandchildren that keep me going was given 3 years and have now gone 6.5 years

Saf, LAMackem, samwise_new and 9 others like this.
  8. Smug in Boots

Yes mate it's definitely the grandkids that keep you going <laugh>

9. one gary owers

give both grandsons £2 a goal and Max scored one on Saturday and he asked for £3 as he megged the keeper and I thought yes they have smaller legs to get through
    So he got his money
    His team have won all five games at u/6 13 1 the biggest win

I started my sons team at u/11 thats all there was then
    I am now seeing u/6 players as good as my u/11 players I think grass roots football is on the up

Smug in Boots likes this.
  10. Smug in Boots

Wonderful mate.

I never spend my money on luxuries for me, always look out for bargains in the charity shops and scam my way into games whenever I can ...

... but if my 3 year old granddaughter needs anything, money's no object.

Billy Fish and Blond Bombshell like this.

11. one gary owers

Don't now where you are coming from there
    I have given to charity shops but would not buy from them
    True Grandchildren can have anything they want when they come here Mummy and Daddy are not here

12. Smug in Boots

I buy all sorts from charity shops mate.

I've bought Lalique glassware, a Scarfe cartoon drawing and a map of Scotland from the 1750's.

Its amazing what people give away.

13. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I had to give up paying my son. He got 53 2 seasons ago, 49 the season before last then 34 last season!! It started getting expensive!! So I just give him a fiver extra pocket money every couple of weeks!!!

14. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

I've thought long and hard before replying and it's a subject I do often worry about. Have I made my parents proud? Have I brought my children up as well as I could? Have I worked hard to provide enough for them when I am gone?

Would I change anything? Some thingsi wish I had done better, but without going through them I wouldn't be at the position I am today with the children and my wife, do I need to change some of ways and behaviours? Yes I do and y writing this I guess it's me finally admitting I am scared of dying and need to sort myself out

15. Smug in Boots

I've seen a million posts, on forums, but that's one of the best.

marcusblackcat, Chunksafc and Ozzymac like this.
  16. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

God bless you becs and thanks for sharing.

becs likes this.
  17. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

well, all i can say is that all the 'life flashing before your eyes' and the 'bright lights waiting for you' never happened for me, the indigestion (which is what i thought it was) suddenly shot up in pain value and down i went...all i can remember is that for a while i was pain and stress free, just a really nice, relaxing darkness unaware of everything going on around me, i have no idea how long i was 'gone' but there was nothing scary about it at all.

18. Owld Feller

Owld Feller Well-Known Member

To me, belief in any form of afterlife is a sign of weakness and inability to accept the reality of mortality.

Others may have different views, but they are no more than that - views, as is mine!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  19. Smug in Boots

Harmless though isn't it.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  20. Owld Feller

Owld Feller Well-Known Member

I'm assuming this was an attempted wind up.

If not, try saying that to the victims of religious violence, with Muslims believing that they will go to Paradise and be greeted by 72 virgins if they are martyred.

Also, my belief is that more lives have been lost over the centuries, in religious wars than any other forms of conflict.