1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Difference of opinion????????

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by GeminiSwiftgfc, Jun 23, 2011.

1. GeminiSwiftgfc

GeminiSwiftgfc Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

recently I have been reading many views from disgruntled supporters, fans and possibly bitter supporters of other clubs like Dover and Maidstone, about the way Hessy has the team playing. This got me thinking. (Especially with the lack of anything constructive to talk about.)

Now in my opinion our best manager, since I've been supporting the club, is Tony Pulis. He undoubtedly laid the foundations for the best years at the club. What does this has to do with Hess' tactics? Well I seem to remember that when Pulis was in charge we played a very long ball game, I believe it was used to such an extent that we were labelled by other teams as "Gilli-hoof". We played a team comprised of a BIG commanding goal keeper, Big strong defenders, a midfield that would run for 120+ minutes if needed, and big strong forwards. But it didn't matter to the fans because it was successful, we won games. It didn't have to be pretty because it was effective. Hess was one of Pulis' players, and i believe he did so well playing for Pulis because he was the RIGHT player for the way Pulis wanted his team to play, a way I believe many fans wanted the players to play, and that is with commitment, determination, passion and pride. The skill side of it was less relevent than the effectiveness of the players. I believe this is also how Hess wants his team to play. Now i don't know the ins and outs of a football club, whether many of the players retained this time last year following relegation had clauses in there contract that meant we had to offer them new contracts or something else. But following the large clear out at the end of the season and the waiting game we seem to be playing with making new signings I am hoping that the player we bring in will be the right for the system Hess wishes to play. As long as it's effective does it matter if it's hoof ball? In my opinion NO. As was the case with Pulis. If you remember things differently under Pulis please leave your memories, if you disagree with me completely then I'd love to hear your views. If you agree with me, fantastic, definately let me know.

Like I said earlier I've been thinking about this as there isn't much else to think about.

UTG

2. Harrygillz

Harrygillz Member

I agree that hess is deploying fairly similar tactics and to be fair to him pretty much all of his signings have been well thought out, so i'm happy to wait for his signings as i'm sure like you say he is trying to get the right people in. I think we should judge him once he has built the team he wants as last season most the players weren't his and under performed which would be why we had the massive clear out. Now he has a chance to get in the right players that will play for him and the club so hopefully this season will be more promising then the last!

3. GillinghamLAD

GillinghamLAD Member

A very good thread statrted here. Pulis is one of the best managers we have had definitely. In the years he was with us he brought stability to the club as a whole. A team full of battlers that never gave up and wore other teams to the ground. Even though we were robbed in the play-off final just before he was sacked, who knows where he could've taken the club? To an extent I do see a similarity to the way Hess is wanting his team to play. It just hasn't been possible with the squad he inherited. Two small full backs and absolutely no height in the midfield. Jack Payne brings the determination and commitment I feel along with Spiller who also brings a lot of energy. I just don't see Hess being able to successfully play this way with the base of a team he has now. I also feel as though the modern day footballers have changed now, less big strong players around and more pacy lightweight ones coming through? It's also not the way I'd ideally like to watch the team play.

This brings me to Peter Taylor. Although only here for one season, has to be my favourite manager. It was no mean feat to take a team that so narrowly missed out on promotion the year before and then gain it then next. Whilst doing that, he also changed the way the team played. We actually became a 'passing' team and were a joy to watch. His ability and impact was obviously noticed and he went on to manage in the Premier League the following season. Peter Taylor also that took us on probably the most memorable FA Cup run Gillingham have had? Beating Premiership teams Bradford and Sheff Wed before a big away day defeat in the Quarter Finals to Chelsea? Now for a League 1 team to beat 2 Premiership teams on an FA Cup run is almost unheard of. A great memory for me and reason as to why Taylor is my favourite.

4. brb

brb Guest

Gemini - anyone that reads my comments on this board, will have read with Hessy's style of play, I want the big guys up front.
    Hessy was playing a game last season, that did not fit the players he had as you have sort of already mentioned.
    My actual preference is for the ball to be kept on the turf, however, my opinion is that if you are going to play the long ball/hoof ball, at least make sure you've got the right player's to do it.

5. baldeagle

baldeagle Member

I agree, what an excellent thread! There is not much more that I can add other than if you either play the long ball game or play the ball on the turf then you need to have the right players for either type of game no matter who is in charge of the team. Currently, I do not think that we have players of the calibre to play either way and to get us promoted. Unless, something positive happens shortly, then we will be vunerable to another slow start to the season which will make our chances of automatic promotion even more difficult. I have not even allowed for the possibilty of any long-term injuries that may also hinder our chances of fielding a settled side. The friendlies start in 9 days time!