1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Di Maria - Will he be a big loss?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Christiansmith, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Stalker

The euro collapsing means **** all to United as the price bought and sold as far as the club's money men is concerned is in £. Bought for £60million, sold for £45million = £15million loss to United.

Unless of course we paid for him from our ethpethial euro account.

If so then we bought him for £60m which was around 75m euros and we're selling him for £45m which is now around 65m euros so a 10million euro loss.

2. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Exactly. Chelsea spent so long waiting for Torres to "come good" that by the time they finally cut their losses they had paid him close to £80m in transfers and wages, and got **** all back in exchange. They could have bought Costa or another decent striker in two or three years earlier if they hadn't had that weight around their necks.

That's what I meant - we are losing more in pound terms that we expected - a 10 million euro loss turns into £15 million as a result. But then we've benefited with the fees for Depay, Schweinsteiger and Darmian which would have been much higher if the euro had still been strong, same for Pedro if he signs.

Like so much of our recent transfer dealings, that 27 million euro figure only exists in London's head.

3. UnitedinRed

UnitedinRed Well-Known Member

Most people are less fickle than you though. From Young out to Young in in just over a year. <whistle>

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Yep how silly of me to base my opinion on a player's performance. But hey at least I'm big enough to admit when a player has proved me wrong. Instead of being a narrow minded fanboy who everyone else thinks is wrong <whistle>

5. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Has anyone found di Maria yet?
    Sky have been saying he is edging closer to a move for four days now, he must be being towed by a snail <yikes>

6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

please log in to view this image

Stan, UnitedinRed and Diego like this.
  7. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

<laugh>

8. UnitedinRed

Mate, being a big fan of both Nani and Berbatov due to both proving us all wrong and playing major roles in title wins, Im all for players proving me wrong.

My issue with Young is hes always been able to get into a good position, always been able to beat a man (doesnt matter that its the same thing every time) but that hes wasteful. Like Valencia, like Januzaj last season. His output is too low and thats not changed.

We've made do with too many who dont contribute much. Players who work hard but lack quality or inventiveness. Young is one of those players.

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

There was a big difference between his previous season and last season. He was our most improved player and it wasnt even close imo. He kept Di Maria out of that LW side. He was versatile going forward and defensively. To say he didnt contribute much last season is so far off the mark I dont even know how to respond. But I will. If I had a choice right now between

A) buying Depay for the LW but not buying another top striker.

Or

B) not buying Depay, playing Young and buying another top striker

I would pick B) comfortably bcos that gives us more chance of challenging for the league and other silverware.

Now dont get me wrong, in an ideal world I'd rather Depay and another top striker with Young as a very good backup for that LW who will rotate in all 4 competitions. But given the choice above, that's the confidence I have in Young. He's the type of player who raises his game based on the quality around him and LVG seems to know how to motivate and get the best out of him.

Sir Tennisball and Stan like this.
  10. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I think UiR is putting too much faith in "stats", Young may not have got many assists but he did assist the assister many times.
    He was by far the most improved player last season, second most improved was Smalling (Jan onwards) who I expect good things from this season.

Treble likes this.

11. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Well I dont watch as much United as you guys, but the kid must have been doing something right if he was keeping Di Maria out of the side.

Young isnt a big enough name for UiR see, UiR loves the marquee names, loves the excitement of a player with a big reputation. Young just isn't marquee enough for him. :p

12. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Plastics like big money stars and spending €££&£. Fortunately for UIR that's the United way now

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Unlikely and a bit unfair on UIR to be fair. If it was just about big names and marquee signings he wouldn't be so deluded about the beanpole that is Fellaini. The much simpler explanation is that he just makes it up as he goes along :bandit:

14. UnitedinRed

More along the lines of not being easily impressed by pointless running with no end product.

Thats just me though.

15. UnitedinRed

Still a long way to go. I know of one club whos spent 250million in 2 years but claims its kept its spending it check. Then some bollocks about netspend <whistle>

16. CFC: Champs £launderx17

How about £300m gross spend for fourth place trophy ;)

17. CFC: Champs £launderx17

will di Maria be a big loss to United?

About £15.4m!!!

And also, if Di Maria is sold at a loss it will cost Woody his job too, according to UIR

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

2013-14;

Guillermo Varela £2,400,000
    Marouane Fellaini £27,500,000
    Saidy Janko £700,000
    Juan Mata £37,100,000

2014-15;

Ander Herrera £29,000,000
    Luke Shaw £27,000,000
    Marcos Rojo £16,000,000
    Ángel Di María £59,700,000
    Daley Blind £13,800,000

Total £210.2 million gross on transfers.

Just so you know.

19. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

What is it net? <whistle> about £150m? We still have another £150m to go. The priority was always going to be top 4. No shame in admitting that. Once that's achieved then we could start thinking of the title.

PS: I presume we have now got to add Depay, Darmian, basti and Morgan. and possibly Pedro.

20. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

No, not really as they were bought after the top four had been achieved.

They can be added to the spend for what it took to win the league at the end of this season.

<ok>

Christiansmith likes this.