1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Denying a clear goal scoring opportunity law changed

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tomw24, Apr 14, 2016.

1. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Actually by the laws if that was given a penalty it would still be a red card because all handballs have to be "deliberate" to be given and the law still states deliberate handball when denying a goal or clear goalscoring opportunity is a red card.

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

That's why I said the Leicester incident was a moral penalty...I think the law should revert to its previous position....almost impossible to get a handball now. You'd have to catch the ball and juggle it to concede a penalty now.

3. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I guess that's kind of the good thing about Hockey in that you have a short corner and a penalty flick. Which is like having two levels of award. Good teams will usually convert short corners, but i doubt the conversion rate overall is much above 50%.

Thinking about football and I guess the next level of award from a penalty is an indirect free kick inside the penalty area.
    Perhaps some handballs can result in this rather than a penalty.

4. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

What about, for example, Fonte's red card against Sunderland?

Under the new rules would that be yellow or red?

He didn't 'deliberately' foul the Sunderland player, but it was always unliely he was going to get the ball in that situation....

5. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Red. The new law only applies to fouls inside the area resulting in a penalty.

6. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

Ok thanks.

There will inevitably be a transition period as fans and referees (and players) get used to the new rule for fouls in the box, and there willl be debate about whether a foul is deliberate or accidental.

For reference anything less than this should be deemed accidental

7. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd still have liked them to have gone a little further. All "goalscoring opportunity" fouls in the penalty box given as yellow cards. The only red cards I would issue when giving away a penalty (excluding second yellows, which are only reds by virtue of two yellows) are deliberate handballs which stop the ball going into the back of net (eg Suarez vs Ghana), and those that would be a red card anywhere else on the pitch (eg two footed tackles). And to be honest, how many of the latter do you ever seen in the penalty box?

So the deliberate action of pulling somebody back in the penalty box, for example, would only be a yellow in my world (but a red outside the box, if clean through).

But hey, I'm not against this rule change. I certainly think it's better than it was. And hopefully it will lead to referee's giving more penalties, knowing that a red card doesn't necessarily have to follow too. So many penalty calls get waved away which leave me thinking "has he bottled giving that because he doesn't want to have to issue a red card too? If he's in the slightest bit of doubt there, he simply cannot give it and punish the defending team twice".

Clem Fandango likes this.
  8. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not for me. If you deliberately pull someone back to stop them scoring it should be a red card wherever on the pitch.

9. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

Come now! It was a deliberate foul that he did his best to disguise as a genuine attempt at the ball.

10. Clem Fandango

Agree with st_brendy here. The "goal scoring opportunity" isn't lost if you have a pen.

11. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

I'd agree with you if you knew for certain that the ball was going into the back of the net. But 99.9% of the time you don't. There's still almost always the keeper to beat, for example. Hence denying a goalscoring opportunity, not denying a goal. (And hence why I am giving red card for handballs on the line. You know that that is going into the back of the net otherwise. Using Suarez again, he wasn't denying a goalscoring opportunity, he was denying a goal).

You're still getting a penalty. You're still getting your goalscoring opportunity. (Which is the difference to outside the box. Unless you're Payet, a free-kick is hardly a goalscoring opportunity - and joking aside, you can hardly bring a player's ability into things).

In the exceptionally rare circumstances (in fact, so rare that I can't recall ever seeing it before) that a player gets pulled back in the penalty box just as he's about to tap the ball into an open, then yes I would give a red card. That 0.1% of the time.

Clem Fandango likes this.
  12. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I see your point but it openly encourages cheating if you don't give red cards for deliberate fouls in these situations.

13. Clem Fandango

But it discourages diving to a certain extent, so it's a trade off. Diving is dirtier than a foul Imo.

14. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Depends on the foul. I can't stand diving but a leg breaking tackle is far worse.

15. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Just to clarify

If the last defender pulls someone back when through on goal outside the area it's a red card. If the same offence happens inside the area then it's a yellow?

16. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

That's how I would have the rule, yes.

Clem Fandango and saintlyhero like this.
  17. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Depends if he plays for any of the following teams:

Pompey
    Spuds
    Scousehampton
    Manure

18. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the inevitable arguments to kick off, over the referee's interpretation of different situations.
    What would be more interesting, for me, would be to change the way a last man, professional foul, outside the box, is dealt with.

Taking a red card, to stop a clear shot on goal, in the last 10 minutes or so, is a risk worth taking to earn a win, and not always of any value to the team that were deprived of a clear shot on goal
    Now, if the attacking team were given the opportunity to turn that last defender, professional foul (outside the area) into a penalty, with the offender only receiving a yellow card, then the defending team might think twice before committing the offence.

KillerCephalopod likes this.
  19. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Given that it's only recently on here what I/we have been discussing shirt pulling, for me the rules should apply that Herrera gets a red there. Even though Everton had a covering defender or two. Completely cynical, and a yellow card and free-kick is no justice for Everton.

20. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No way can that be a red card.