1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Dear Donald

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by dansafcman, Jan 11, 2020.

1. dansafcman

dansafcman Well-Known Member

Please don't listen to the fans anymore, we don't know **** all.

2. Evil Jimmy Krankie

Evil Jimmy Krankie Well-Known Member

That looks like a double negative to me suggesting that we do know something. But I agree with your sentiment :azn:

marcusblackcat and dansafcman like this.
  3. dansafcman

You're right but I can't be arsed changing it

Evil Jimmy Krankie likes this.
  4. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

No worries Charlie but he doesn't want you back now, we're on a roll since you left :emoticon-0148-yes::D

5. one gary owers

one gary owers Well-Known Member

To be honest It all started when Donald started staying away

Wibble likes this.
  6. dansafcman

More likely since Gooch came back from injury....

7. Dancingstripes

Dancingstripes Well-Known Member

At the end of this season, if we don't get promotion, Donald has failed again, and if he's not already gone, he will need to go.

On the other hand, if we do get promotion, he has succeeded. He would have also levelled us financialy, and not spent over the odds to get us to the championship, which will stand us in good stead to progress.

IF we do get promoted, he will need to get the funds to push for another promotion, and IF he can do that, he will have been a major success at SAFC.

I think it all depends on the funds, and whilst hoping he can achieve that, I will not overjoyed or dismayed with him being with us.

Time will tell.

8. Kittenmittons

Kittenmittons Well-Known Member

I have managed to reconcile my views on his failure and poor use of funds during the first 18 months with the belief that he may be our best option while he has money to spend (whoever's it is) and a reason to spend it.

Just got to hope he can get us promotion and FPP start to up their equity in the club. While they're in the picture I don't think he'll dare spend club cash on anything dubious

9. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Promotion gets SD a better deal so I think he will spend what he needs to.

I will settle for that if it means promotion and then reassess in the summer

10. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Considering he hasn't got much money in football terms i actually think he's done a pretty good job.
    Ross was very close and Parky is starting to look very good all things considered.
    You can't just buy your way out of this league and being the biggest club isn't helpful at times.
    Being the biggest club and sticking together will see us through though imo.

11. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

SD splashed on Grigg to secure our promotion. That will be weighing on his mind, no doubt.

12. Jack Ford

Jack Ford Well-Known Member

Think binning Mcgeady may have helped things as well.A brave decision at the time binning arguably our most skilful creative player. Things have been on the up since his omission

Bank of England 2 likes this.
  13. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

2 things though.

1 - In all honesty he needed to fill the sizeable gap left by Maja for the team and also the confidence of the fans and Grigg was (to my mind) the closest thing to guaranteed goals at this level. I would never had predicted how poorly his first year would have gone given he's still a good age and has been banging them in for fun at this level in the past. I reckon it's only a bad deal in hindsight but was a good move at the time.

2 - The money isn't what is quoted. It's widely known that the £4m (though headline grabbing) was only with lots of clauses which, lets face it, have not been met. It'll still be a big amount of money but more likely half of what people mention.

Nads and MrRAWhite like this.
  14. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

1) We have totally different views on Grigg. I was screaming from the rooftops it was a terrible signing. I’m not surprised he’s flopped. That stupid song about being on fire raised his profile, not his ability.

2) I think we paid 3 million for Grigg with the add-ons which he clearly won’t have hit.

Nostradamoose and The Norton Cat like this.
  15. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Had an email off Manchester supporters branch, a poll of "do you want Donald to stay at the club" yes or no ?

I dont see it as that straight forward a question really.
    For instance, if FPP aren't interested in a takeover but are prepared to back Donald.
    Who do we get if he does sell ?

If he stays we all know he needs investment or to sell anyway to get to the premier League.

16. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

1 - Fair enough. To my mind he was 27 and had scored 64 goals in his previous 3 seasons (127 games) in League One. That is a pretty good record but does mask the fact he had been found out a couple of times in the Championship. My concerns were only that it was going to be a lot of money for someone you'd want to offload in 6-12 months time (as I thought you'd go up and he'd flop in the Championship - again).

Saf likes this.
  17. dansafcman

Off topic, but you're not related to a David and John Ford by any chance?

18. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Or James Bolam ? :D

19. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Great to see some positivity evident among our fans at the ground yesterday. We now have something to build on and it is surely time to stop the infighting and unite behind the club to push us forward.. Onwards and upwards.. Ha'way the lads..

Nads, Dorset, clockstander and 2 others like this.
  20. Guinness Guzzler

Guinness Guzzler Well-Known Member

This all day. There's a poll on SMB but I haven't voted for that reason, it's just in or out. I think the statement from the fans was too final, a bit aggressive, and I don't think he deserved that. Equally there's a lot of things I'm not happy about (mainly recruitment and academy; if we're going to be sustainable we need to get both right and making us money/ giving us good players, both aspects are failing currently). If the right buyers are there (like what we thought FPP were) and they don't want Donald then I'd want him gone. If there's no outstanding buyer then I do think Donald wants to do the right thing and he'll look for more investment in the championship anyway so I'd be happy with him staying involved, there's worse people out there. It's far too complicated for a simple "in or out"

Dorset and Nig like this.