1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

DEAN HOLDEN remains in the running & BEATS 10 to become BCFC Head Coach

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by johngalleyfan2, Jul 31, 2020.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

crossing t's and dotting i's "who replaces "mac" … and needs clarity on "authority"? ! should be done before 4pm

2. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

The only good thing to come out of this is watching you pretending to be ITK

BCFCRob likes this.
  3. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Spot on 1For. Oooooops.
    The biggest cock up in 4 years
    <laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

4. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Predictable wasn't it...<laugh>

5. johngalleyfan2

back the land of the living ...all be it pandemic ridden world … and just got the confirmation at 2235 DEAN IS THE HEAD COACH …. FANTASTIC absolutely F A N T A S T I C …. I knew SL wouldn't let me down!!!! Just getting up to speed with the news as just got in about five past 11. Guess the knives might be out already! so will read all the positive stuff first [ city site ] and leave the neggies till after I ve had a cold beer and eaten my dinner/tea a refreshing salad.
    w h o o o p p e e e e e

6. johngalleyfan2

was going to a prediction list of who might say what ...but no point really, would only be deemed sour grapes...….

7. johngalleyfan2

Lansdown described Holden’s appointment as a “fresh start for a new season” adding the former assistant head coach is the “right foot [fit?] for the football club.”
    Lansdown said there were a “variety” of applicants for the first team vacancy but said Holden’s “clear ideas” made him a “well-rounded individual” for the position of head coach ahead of the 2020/21 season. . . . . . .
    “We are a collective here and everybody has to rally and get behind him. It’s the same with any change: some people will agree with it and some who don’t but for me, the proof will be in the results and where we go from here.
    “He needs every opportunity to do that and there’ll be support from everyone here at the club on his way to achieving that.”

Dean Holden has one message for the supporters – he will give his all and take the opportunity with both hands.
    It’s the start of a new era at the club and Holden was keen to address the supporters at the start of this new journey.
    The 40-year-old was appointed City’s newest head coach on Monday (August 10th), with Paul Simpson and Keith Downing set to work alongside him in their assistant head coach capacities.

Mark Ashton says new Robins Head Coach Dean Holden is ready to lead Bristol City into their next chapter. . . . . . . Ashton says Holden was a stand-out candidate, as he offered an insight into the recruitment process. There was a high volume of applicants, with an eventual shortlist of ten soon whittled down to four. These were interviewed in detail before Holden stood out as the ideal candidate.
    “Dean Holden is his own man and we believe he is ready for this job.”
    He added Holden has “outstanding coaching attributes” which will come to the fore alongside his new assistants Paul Simpson and Keith Downing, who bring a wealth of experience to the Robins.
    The pair arrive from England’s youth setup, with Downing joining from the Football Association where he led England Under-19s to victory in the 2017 European Championship, while Simpson steered England to victory in the Under 20s World Cup the same year.

The arrivals of Keith Downing and Paul Simpson have been hailed as ‘fantastic’ appointments.
    The pair have more than 40 years coaching experience between them at all levels of the game.
    Downing joins from the Football Association where he led England Under-19s to victory in the 2017 European Championship, while Simpson steered England to victory in the Under 20s World Cup the same year.
    “It’s a fantastic appointment by the club in terms of two experienced assistants, who have recently been in the England system,” said Dean Holden on news of his appointment as City head coach.

OH well all looks good so far … it is going to be a tough 12 months as revenue will be down [ over £9m losses so far ] SO DONT EXPECT a massive wad of money for transfers [ bet a few will jump on the bandwagon of wont get what LEE GOT? ] but for any that do ….outside of the prem money is going to be tight ...very tight … may be a lot of cheap bargains from lower clubs as they off load to pay bills and some good opportunities to get players out on loan …. at least in the short term a good move … bearing in mind covid ….

8. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I was underwhelmed when we appointed LJ as I didn't think he had the experience for the role, but he did pretty well, until the post lockdown restart this year, so who knows Holden may do well.

Either way, he, like LJ and those before will get my backing as the Head Coach, not sure manager is applicable. I fear he will have zero say in transfers - in and out, as it's apparent that will, and has been handled by Ashton for a long while now.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  9. johngalleyfan2

the whole plan from about 2015/16 was to consolidate the club finances, improve the training and make a progression up the table from the mess we were in. SL [as we were told back then ] sold off a great chunk of [private ] equity and we built 3/4's of the AG stadium, some minds are short! but also within the plan was to "acquire" younger elements ,along with academy players and putting it bluntly "recycle for a profit" … "this would take about 5 years! [ the last remodelling of the 5 pillars so to speak] ...No one knows just how much Covid HAD AN EFFECT on what was the last 9 games [ on the players, some prem managers have spoken out it was a different and difficult page in 2019/20 seasons history ]

TAKE A DIFFERENT angle … DEAN HOLDEN was appointed head coach LJ assistant and JM other coach. Everything panned out exactly same,[ for the past 4 1/2 years ] so DH was relieved of duties as was JM .. the reason being out of the top 3 just 1 was deemed to be succeeding, and they needed "more experience should they get promoted" and 2 ex ENGLAND coach's were employable!
    you have a system that works to a degree [ coaching "recycling" ] so you need continuity... hence back to LJ leaving .. and the present new setup .. the next phase...upping the ante! and sorting contracts for players, keeping the wheat and shedding the chaff.
    Covid will bring about a big change in salaries and transfers... Man Utd could well afford JS at £100m as in the next round of the EC and champions lge nxt season... but factor in COVID ………..

10. johngalleyfan2

the MA INTERVEIW..... concise envelope of questions and answers ..just a few points [ from the start said I would be happy and expect DH to be next manager ] …

the KEY point seems to be Chris Hughton WAS NEVER IN THE FRAME .. over excited media selling copy and bookies raking it in! [ later when paired with another prospect "names and due to respect" is a confirmation of CH

DH target is "expected to be as high as possible" better than 8th? as late in the interview MA states SL ] says [ intimates ] not set in concrete.

transfers... Head coach has final word! [ veiled?] …. says yes or no to who is presented to him? !

Korey … CLUB WANTED HIM but DH didn't! in a nutshell ..... media after copy to sell put their boot in with a load of of Bulls*** and thus forced Korey's hand. Guess those reporters will be fed the old mouldy crumb in future

on the cheap!!! …. [ appointments ] as I pointed out before not done on cheap …. [although it can be said a rolling contract is! but potentially over a period of time moreso ] have prised away a couple of top coach's from the national squad ...and that aint cheap!

JM … I suppose HE WAS COLLATERAL DAMAGE? DH has no other history with City than his experience of the last 4-5 years and maybe thought getting rid of a couple of the prominent faces would help his cause. but did they miss a trick with Korey... or was it good thinking … leaves the way clear to promote from within? or free's up a salary to get one in?

I think most will come down on 20 man's side but when you analyse the responses the responses from MA he was very respectful and at pains to explain the time lines [ as I pointed previously] 10 down to 4 to the final one in less than 19 days from season end is pretty intense.

hopefully the season will not be interrupted …. or at least when it / should it happen / s we are in top 6!

from what we see now I would expect us to be top 7 [ teams from this season and from prem ]

11. johngalleyfan2

lovely coffee morning … full house and main topic was of course about the instatement of DEAN HOLDEN as coach...whooooopeee's all round! a different air of prospects for the future ..hopefully positive! although the concensus was LJ was due another year! HOWEVER the changes that have taken place are certainly not the cheap option and a bold step to endeavour to go up a gear. CONCENSUS was [ had been after CARDIFF GAME ] the choices were stick and see what 20/21 brings … get rid of ALL 3 [ LEE gone ] … new HEAD COACH + change back room staff [ in some way ] …. DH step up get new coach (s) …… we have what we have!

We played a little game … "The fallout" … started with 2 categories [p]Positives and [n] Negatives [ contributors o the board! ] it soon developed into 4 categories... the [p]positive category …

positive since Cardiff game .... became 2 categories ….. sub divided into … [p] ...[ sp] strongly positive since Cardiff game, the bench mark.
    [sp] had 5 nominees [p] had 3 ( showed an overall tendency of positiveness with a good conviction )

[n] negative category..
    again divided into 2 ..[sn] super negative and [n] (this category included those that allude to positiveness but constantly make contradictory statements)
    [sn] had 3 and [n ] 7 ( 3 and 4 ]
    some candidates based on a lot of input others maybe just 1 or 2 comments …

We concluded that the overall consensus is positive, ROLLING CONTRACT could be made 3 year [ or longer ] with a good result of top 8 after 36 games ish …. rolled over should the board choose to sell established players and concentrate on younger element …. or as the contract says rolling, so if in top 8-10!

12. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

**** me you’re living the dream mate

13. johngalleyfan2

almost, you only get what you want by working toward it …. keeping active … and not just physically ! I see to many people up to a decade or so younger that are wasting their lives through inactivity.
    some peeps might meet for a card game or a quiz night or a beer / wine or two [ homemade! ] a group and I [ groups, have 4 ] meet generally to either chat, or pursue physical "sports /recreations and put the "world to rights!!!!!" /or explore what is around us ..never a day goes by without learning something new …….

14. brookksyboy39

brookksyboy39 Well-Known Member

johngalleyfan2 loves his stats and numbers but I'm number dyslexic, but basically they all count towards the fact that we arent good enough for the prem.
    And are run by fools and control freaks

RedorDead likes this.
  15. brookksyboy39

brookksyboy39 Well-Known Member

I love 2 things in my life Bristol City and my wife, I could do without 1 of them. Quiz: which is the answer

16. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Best keep that to yourself mate!
    What I can say from personal observation is that a woman costs a lot of money, frequently disappoints, frustrates, excites and delights - all in equal measures. She won’t do what you KNOW she should, despite being told numerous times. She’ll make the same annoying decisions which baffle the hell out of you - either that or she will make totally inexplicably random decisions which are equally baffling. She will build you up then knock you down, only to build you up again. She will take up loads of your time and mental energy and it’s in the toss of a coin whether, after spending a considerable amount of time and money on her over the weekend, you go to work on Monday feeling either elated, or dejected....
    ......... actually, I’ve forgotten if this is the wife or the club I’m talking about....!!!!!!

17. johngalleyfan2

maybe there is 3 things there?

18. johngalleyfan2

totally agree with all of it ...however throw in a brain tumour, and you really do get an amplified edition of everything ..but you take the good bits with relish, and the dark bits make the good bits just a little more appreciated …….